Post Thanks / Like
    I just could not believe what was coming out of this guys mouth.

I was talking to my brother-in-law about waxes and how great they can make a car look.Beside us there was this guy, he heard us and comes out with this remark " After years of using waxes I came to the conclusion that they do more harm than good, they(wax)work their way through the paint and release chemicals therefore destroying and fading the paint."

I asked him, how the hell did you come up with such credible:scared information.

Behold, for this was his response,"I paint cars for a living .

I knew this was just the type of fellow that knew it all, he was "painting cars for a living" so I just listened to a bunch of crap for the longest five minutes of my life.

I, fellow Autopians gained a endless amount of knowledge today and I will never reveal these secrets to the rest of this community for you are not worth it:LOLOL :scared

I thought I had to share this with you, for it is sad to see the amount of ignorance that we come upon once in a while.

Have you ever had to listen to geniuses like this idiot?
    Born to "Explore"

Post Thanks / Like
    Is there a pic of this moron? If not you posted in the wrong section
    My turbo GSR was stolen, now I`m stuck detailing the girlfriends car.

Post Thanks / Like
    I guess the shine on my nearly 14-yar-old Accord is just an optical illusion then. :lol
    www.scottwax.com

Certified Opti-Coat Pro/Pro 3 installer

Post Thanks / Like
    I hate to be the party pooper here but this seems like a vicious circle.

He think he knows better and you think you know better.

But no one is really prepared to go into debate about it because either side doesnt want to hear it.

I guess the painter will never learn our ways, and we will never know his
    One of the Original Autopians !!!

Post Thanks / Like
    Would it not be to his benefit that we all not protect our finishes? :nixweiss

Auto painters must make a living too.

Post Thanks / Like
    One of the most GIGANTIC mis-conceptions among the buying public and, especially among car salesman, is this:

You`ll NEVER have to wax it, because it`s clear-coated. Clear-coat is maintenance-free! Just run it through the car wash!

And remember, don`t use any of those corrosive waxes or polishes.

Bill Luster

`00 Trans Am / `82 Vette

Click here for:Bill`s Pictures

Post Thanks / Like
    Moved.

Yes, there are still people out there with strange and sometimes outdated information. Don`t bother trying to correct them. They`re 110% right in their own eyes....

Post Thanks / Like
    Originally posted by Luster

One of the most GIGANTIC mis-conceptions among the buying public and, especially among car salesman, is this:

You`ll NEVER have to wax it, because it`s clear-coated. Clear-coat is maintenance-free! Just run it through the car wash!

I remember detailing a Corvette that hadn`t been waxed in 4 years because that is what the customer was told by the salesman. Finally, his paint looked so bad that he knew he had to do something. It came out looking real good after polishing it twice and waxing it.
    www.scottwax.com

Post Thanks / Like
    Thats ok Explorer .. the car painter .. his mom and dad just got a divorce .. but its ok .. they can still be brother and sister...

Post Thanks / Like
    This thread inspired me to tell alittle something that happened to me before. Goes alittle something like this.

I work at an exhaust shop right, so I deal with alot of customers and sometimes during the process while I`m working on there they have the option on either sitting there and waiting on there car, go do other things and come back later, or stay and watch provided you stay out of harm`s way. Couple months ago I remember this very clearly when a guy my age, 20, came into the shop to get an exhaust on his truck.

We started talking and I mentioned to him that I detail cars on the side for other people.

Me - I like to detail cars for other people, it`s fun, and during the summer months you can make good money at it.

Guy - Detailing sucks, how can you stand that stuff????

Me - why do you think it sucks???

guy - wax is hard as hell buff off and it makes my truck feel greasy, I worked my *** off man, you??

me - well there could be several reasons why your wax was hard to buff off, either you applied it to thick, you were out in the sun or you didn`t prep the surface before you waxed it

guy - what the hell does that mean, prep the surface???

me - it`s a process by which you take steps to prepare your car`s surface for waxing, it gives you better results and can make waxing alot easier if done properly.

guy- does that mean like touching up or buff it out or what???

me - when you prep a surface it means you clean it up, , polish it out, then wax it

guy - doesn`t that strip the clearcoat????

me - you can strip the clearcoat if you take it too far but usually most surfaces can be made better by not stripping clearcoat, and some finishes are to the point of no return unless you repaint them which can be quite costly.

guy - wait a minute though, if you strip off even some of your clearcoat doesn` that fade away from protection???

me - no it doesn`t if you keep it waxed properly it won`t give you any problems

guy - all back to my original question, why wax

This coversation went on and I eventually straightned him out but I don`t think he still quite got it.

Post Thanks / Like
    Oh well, we can`t convert everyone we run into, now can we?

That guy sounds a lot like Scottwax`s Neighbor if he thought waxing was a PITA. :lol

Post Thanks / Like
    Originally posted by 4DSC

That guy sounds a lot like Scottwax`s Neighbor if he thought waxing was a PITA. :lol

Heh heh.... :lol

http://scottwax.com/rice/Oh_no.htm

(warning, if you click on the home link and look through the other pics, some are not PC. )
    www.scottwax.com

Thread Information