Post Thanks / Like
    I am still seeing swirls/light scratches after 3 coats of Z5. If I now want to try a swirl/scratch remover, do I need to got through the Dawn wash procedure again?

Could I instead just spray the affected areas (hood) with some IPA/water mix, use the SMR, and then IPA the area again and then go back to Z5??

Also, does the Z5 really fill in the swirls...I`m seeing minimal results after 3 coats? Maybe it takes 5-6 coats?

Thanks for any comments/advice.

Post Thanks / Like
    How are you applying the Z5? Circular? .. back and forth? If you use a swirl remover most have fillers and oils in them and the IPA/Water wipe down will remove them and you will see what your going to Zaino over. IAP/Water will remove Zaino. Z5 will fill swirls but only to a point.

Post Thanks / Like
    I am applying the Z5 strictly by the instructions...back and forth. I am considering using Menzerna IP and FP to go over the swirls/scratches to reduce them (not fill them). Since these products contain no fillers I would use the IPA mix to clean the surface, then Z5 over that.

Just trying to avoid Dawn washing...IPA spray is easier/faster, but I know Zaino says to Dawn wash.

Post Thanks / Like
    I don`t think you would have to Dawn wash before you use a dedicated swirl remover, but you`d have to after using one.
    www.scottwax.com

Certified Opti-Coat Pro/Pro 3 installer

Post Thanks / Like
    Originally posted by softball nut

I am applying the Z5 strictly by the instructions...back and forth. I am considering using Menzerna IP and FP to go over the swirls/scratches to reduce them (not fill them). Since these products contain no fillers I would use the IPA mix to clean the surface, then Z5 over that.

Thats what I used on mine prior to Zaino .. the Menzerna polishes.

Post Thanks / Like
    Most abrasive products, like the IP and FP, will remove the Zaino that is already on it, or at least degrade it quite a bit. So, dawn washing is not necessary before you begin polishing. As mentioned in the above posts, you should wash with dawn or IPA it down to remove any fillers or oils the abrasive might have left on the paint after polishing out the swirls.

Post Thanks / Like
    Thanks for the replies. I was not clear...I wasn`t going to Dawn wash before using the Menzerna. My question was about using an IPA-water mix spray rather than Dawn washing after the Menzerna, then doing the Z5.

My swirls/scratches are in a few spots on the hood and I was trying to avoid a Dawn wash of the car after working on those areas.

Post Thanks / Like
    I just got done w/Menzerna twins and did the IPA/water spray and then Zainoed away. Looks great.

Menzerna does more to make the paint look good than Zaino does to hide the swirles. I still had some minor swirles after Menzerna but the Z5 could hide those.

Post Thanks / Like
    Menzerna Rules. If you want your paint to look its best, as-is (no fillers, enhancers, etc etc), menzerna is the ticket. After "Menzerning", all I do is finish with some souveran or zymol and the finish looks better than with anything else I have ever tried, including zaino.

-Tom

Post Thanks / Like
    Some of us have to consider longevity over apperance. ( Although I think I have both.) Because unless they are right about Global Warming, my vehs. arent gonna get detailed for about three months or more. Each Spring its about like starting over.

Post Thanks / Like
    No Dawn wash necessary after the Menzerna sessions. Merzerna is water-based therefore only a wipe down with a Z7/H20 solution and Z6 follow-up. No IPA solution needed. Now you are ready to Z5. If you do your prep work properly 2 -3 coats of Z5 will hide the residual minor surface imperfections that can normally be seen only upon very close inspection. If you can see them at all angles, 5 feet away, all lighting conditions, or very deep marring will not be alleviated by Z5. More PREP is required before Z5 will work.

If you have DACP, try using that prior to the IP and FP. Great combination. If you go this route, an IPA wipe down after the DACP would be beneficial ( analysis work and oil removal). :xyxthumbs

Post Thanks / Like
    Thanks very much for the replies. I got my answers. Great forum.

Thread Information