Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Post Thanks / Like
    Everytime I clean the tires on my car, they come out brownish after they dry. I have been using EO wheel and tire cleaner on my tires using a medium-stiff bristle brush. I always dilute the EO cleaner with a little water, because my wheels are never dirty enough that I need the full cleaning power the EO, because it is strong stuff. What I don`t get is that thorughly scrubbing the tires with the EO while using the brush, they seem to come out brown after I let them air dry. I can`t stand looking at brown tires! I am wondering if I am using the wrong type of brush or I am doing the wrong procedure for cleaning them? Please help me out here

Post Thanks / Like
    If your not using any dressing, it`s known as blooming. It can depend largely on the composition of the rubber itself, and your particular climate.

You can always try a different cleaner, something like Eimann Fabrik High Intensity works very well.
    Taking my signature to it`s MAXIMUM POTENTIAL

Post Thanks / Like
    I am starting to think it is the new tires that I recently put on the car (Kumho Supra`s), because I did not have to seem to have this problem with my old set of Bridgestone Potenzas. I still think that I am not scrubbing or doing something right, because the more I clean the, the browner they seem to get. I have not used tire dressing, because I am a little skeptical to apply the dressing over the brown tires.

Post Thanks / Like
    It`s probably is the tires. Rubber composition plays a big role in blooming. How new are these tires? Often times, new tires will bloom quite a bit, but then it gradually goes away over time.

CCH Auto Appearance, LLC C. Charles Hahn's Avatar
    Post Thanks / Like
    Originally posted by ShowroomLincoln

new tires will bloom quite a bit

tell me about it.... I put new rubber on the blazer yesterday, got `em all cleaned up and put away last night... come back today and they`re all brown around the edges again - despite my coating of Stoner Trim Shine :angry

Post Thanks / Like
    I know I am going to get flamed here but try Westley Bleech Wite with a stiff brush then dress the tires after. Use the dressing of choise .. but don`t rule out Armorall .. sometimes we just get too fancy and enthralled in the marketing hype.

Post Thanks / Like
    Interesting observations about blooming. I recently switched the other direction, from Bridgestone SO-3`s to Kumho MX`s and noticed the opposite, the BS`s were always brown, and through the first few months, the Kumho`s have stayed perfectly black. It must be related to compounds in tires, my wife`s tires are all season and they brown much more even the Bridgestone`s did.

With constantly browning tires, I`ve found that a gel tire dressing minimizes the effect, due to it`s longevity. I`ve found Eimann Fabrik`s gel to be just right for shine and longevity, it`s something like Black Pearl or Sapphire.

Ben

Post Thanks / Like
    Using the Westley`s product is not a good idea. It removes the carbon black from the sidewalls of the tires, and will give them a dull, gray, washed out look over time. :down

Post Thanks / Like
    Originally posted by ShowroomLincoln

Using the Westley`s product is not a good idea. It removes the carbon black from the sidewalls of the tires, and will give them a dull, gray, washed out look over time. :down

I assume you speak from experience .. because I do .. and I have used it for years. Tires do not need to be cleaned with it every 3 days.. only when the dressing buildup starts to look unsatisfactory. eg. once a month or so.

Post Thanks / Like
    i have used this product in the past and it worked well. http://www.griotsgarage.com/catalog....1001&SKU=11136

Post Thanks / Like
    Originally posted by Jesstzn

I assume you speak from experience .. because I do .. and I have used it for years. Tires do not need to be cleaned with it every 3 days.. only when the dressing buildup starts to look unsatisfactory. eg. once a month or so.

there are other products out there that do just as good as Bleeche White without the negative effects.

No doubt, I used to use it too- before I discovered autopia and the alternative/better methods for detailing.

Post Thanks / Like
    I think 303 does a good job of reducing and even eliminating the browning. I stay away from any tire product with petroleum distillates :down
    Treat it like it`s the only one in the world.

Post Thanks / Like
    Originally posted by Jesstzn

SRL wasn`t suggesting one should clean their tires every three days. In addition to cleaning out the carbon black from your tires, this stuff is also very bad for your rims should you accidentaly get some on there. EFHI (diluted) is also my product of choice. As a gentle but effective cleaner, it affords me the luxury of cleaning my rims and tires together EACH time I wash my car.

Tony

Post Thanks / Like
    While most tire cleaners aren`t made from things I`d care to drink, Bleche White is particularly nasty stuff...

As others have mentioned, it can damage your wheels, paint, tires, etc. It contains Sodium Metasilicate and Sodium Hydroxide - neither are particularly paint, rubber or human friendly.

While testing products for our forthcoming Wheel & Tire Care Test, one of our testers commented that his tires are still grey from when we tested Bleche White on his tires...they were almost new Michelin`s prior to the Bleche White exposure.

Post Thanks / Like
    Originally posted by geekysteve

While testing products for our forthcoming Wheel & Tire Care Test, one of our testers commented that his tires are still grey from when we tested Bleche White on his tires...they were almost new Michelin`s prior to the Bleche White exposure.

now I know why I threw my bottle of that stuff away!

Incidentally, EFHI works well, but I prefer Meguiar`s APC+ for my uses... makes cleaning white letters easy as pie.

Hey Steve, maybe you should do an "All Purpose Cleaner Test" in the future? (I know, I know.... more work for the geekster :p )

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread Information