Post Thanks / Like
    Hello everyone,

I`m looking for a few "starter kit" advice for my new car. I purchased a 2004 330i performance package via European delivery and just returned from Europe yesterday.

From all my browsings here at Autopia and at Bimmerfest, I often see postings of "don`t let your dealer wash or prep your car before delivery." My understanding is that the dealers basically just don`t do a very good job (even lousy).

So, before I inform the dealer to not washing and not preping my car, I would like to learn the basic car caring skills. I`ve already learned quite a bit about caring for interiors, vinyls, and tires; however, I`m still not comfortable about the exterior caring, especially when it comes to claying and waxing. I did search through the Autopia site but didn`t find any step-by-step claying process for newbies like me.

Any tips would be appreciated. Thanks much.

Ken

Post Thanks / Like
    Instead of waiting for tips I would highly suggest you search this site good. You could spend days searching and browsing around and will get all sorts of great tips from that. I would also highly recommend you check out www.poorboysworld.com for awesome products. Their products are not only top of the line but are very good for beginners to use as well.

Post Thanks / Like
    :welcome to Autopia

Before spending your $$$ on someone`s products, learn how to care for your car first. If you buy products before you know how to use them properly, you could be wasting money. Even the most expensive wax is worthless if you don`t know how to use it correctly.

At the top of this page there is a pic icon called "Learn!". Click on that and read all the articles. Print them out if you want to.

I also highly recommend the purchase of the Autopia Guide To Detailing. Have a look here: http://www.autopia-carcare.com/autguidtodet.html

This guide is worth every penny. Even an experienced detailer can learn something. Plus you are supporting this community with your purchase. It`s a great educational resource you will use again and again.
    There are only three things you need to know about me. Gloss, Gloss, GLOSS!!

Post Thanks / Like
    Kyyuan,

:welcome to Autopia!

As Bretfraz said, this is your best option!

Dealers are know to send the cars to the "swirl mark and scratch application department" when they "prep" the car.

Obtain the Guide, go and search the forums and then see what can be done to resolve your issues.

There is a boat-load of articles and how-to`s here!

Regards,

Deanski
    DR SHINE
    Swanky Shine (tm)
    What`s in YOUR garage? 997 Carrera S.

The Old Grey Whistle Test togwt's Avatar
    Post Thanks / Like
    Heed `bretfraz` advise, learn and enjoy

Experience unshared; is knowledge wasted…/

justadumbarchitect
    What gets overlooked too often is that one must be a student before becoming a teacher.

Post Thanks / Like
    Ken -

The car is going to have to go throught BMW`s VPC (Vehicle Prep Center ? ) when it get`s back stateside. They fix minor damage that may have occured during transit or even during manufacturing. I`ve heard these guys are top notch though.

Beware of telling your dealer not to prep your car. I bought a X5 this year and NO PREP was on my contract. It was done anyhow by the dealership.

Here`s the reasoning why. It`s probably pressure from the service manager, cause when BMW NA call`s you for the CR survey, one of the questions they ask is *was your car delivered clean, etc* and I don`t think the service managers want to to take the chance of you telling them *no, it was dirty*. I told my salesgal that I would give them all 5`s on the phone but the car was not to be detailed nor front license plate holder installed on the front bumper but BOTH were done. She even called me on my cell right before they were going to do it as she knew my wishes but there was no stopping the dealers policy/procedure.

Just my $.02

Post Thanks / Like
    wow... thanks for all the welcomes. You folks suure are a friendly bunch, just like those bimmerfest posters.

Once I get some time away from work, I`ll definitely thumb through the "learn" section. In fact, my head is already spinning from reading all the "boar`s hair brush or sheepskin mitt" threads. I guess I have a ton to learn.

Chefwong-- thanks for the heads up on the BMW VPC. I hope my dealer does a good job preping...they better.

Once again, thanks for all the help. I`m sure I`ll be posting more questions in the future.

Ken

Post Thanks / Like
    :welcome TO AUTOPIA

Post Thanks / Like
    :welcome to Autopia

Post Thanks / Like
    Welcome to Autopia

Thread Information