Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Post Thanks / Like
    Hi everyone.

I have a Renault Laguna in non metallic red which suffers really badly from swirls all over body. I`ve used Meguiars UK range, Griot`s Garage waxes and various other products with little success.

The car was new September 2002 and is always hand washed. The swirls are uniform & circular but Renault UK refuse to acknowledge the problem and say that this sort of damage is down to normal washing.

Most people over here are not really into serious detailing and can`t understand why anyone would want to keep a daily use Renault looking spotless!

I am using the right washing regime but simply can`t shift these swirls. Professional bodyshops etc have suggested using 3M glazes and when this was eventually tried it washed out after 2 or 3 washes leaving car looking as bad as ever.

I have recently been advised to try Meguiars #9 swirl remover but am worried about damaging car`s paint if I keep trying lots of products.

Does anyone have any ideas or tips about how to achieve a smooth and flawless paint finish?

Post Thanks / Like
    Sounds like you will need to use a moderately aggressive polish like DACP (Megs #83) followed by a final polish of some kind (without fillers) to get the scratches physically removed. Using anything with fillers ain`t going to cuts it as you have already discovered. Once the paint is truely smooth, then apply protectants and wax

Post Thanks / Like
    Andy

Welcome to Autopia :up

The swirls were probably caused by someones cleaning skills. Dont feel to bad, swirl free cars are not very common. The good news is that is it possible to get a perfect shine with a mixture of the right products used in the right way.

3M glazes are good but the downside is they do not last a long time. A glaze will only hide a swirl not remove it. 3M and others make good quality polishes which can remove your swirls but always start with the least abrasive ones.

What are you using to wash your car?

Nice to see more Brits here.

Post Thanks / Like
    I will shortly be posting a list of products available in the UK

Post Thanks / Like
    :brit :welcome :brit
    I can`t believe you kiss your car good night.

C`mon baby tell me-you must be jokin`, right!
    Shania Twain

Citroen BX `88, Lomax 223 `85, Citroen 11BN `56

Post Thanks / Like
    Have just ordered Megs #9 swirl remover and will try it this weekend. FYI my usual regime is to wash car thoroughly with Megs Gold Class shampoo, rinse then apply 2nd weaker wash with a further rinse.

Being quite new to the detailing scene, I have to confess that it might be my washing skills which have contributed BUT I first washed the car a week after delivery and the swirls were evident then. Renault UK say this is quite normal when washing a car and both they & the dealer clearly think anyone who wants a superb reflective finish on their car is quite mad!

I`ve tried Megs Gold Class wax but not found it to be as good as Griot`s Best of Show in terms of reflectiveness or depth.

Once I`ve got a finish with which I`m happy, will post some pics.

Would really appreciate as much advice as possible from other car nuts out there.

FYI all UK car nuts out there Meguiars UK are able to suuply any of the Meguiars range, both consumer & professional. All you have to do is either ring them directly for prices etc or speak to your dealer (I`ve just started using Serious Performance who are really helpful and also supply Moose Wax & P21S products)
    Peugeot 205 GTi 1.6

Renault Laguna dCi120 Expression

Ford Ka3

The Old Grey Whistle Test togwt's Avatar
    Post Thanks / Like
    Welcome "AndyC"

You`ll find this a great forum for help/advice on car detailing by people who know/live detailing.

(the `english" words they use have different meaning and they prefer Klasse over Autoglym, but apart from that they are a great chaps :-) LOL )
    What gets overlooked too often is that one must be a student before becoming a teacher.

Post Thanks / Like
    Hey butchdave

What part of Surrey? I`ve been to Godstone a few times in my life (Mom`s birth place). Know any Crowhursts, Tharby`s?

Post Thanks / Like
    Autoglym?!!! That`s blasphemy (apart from Fast Glass). Just wish more of the US products were available over here as it`s damned hard to get good detailing kit in the UK.
    Peugeot 205 GTi 1.6

Ford Ka3

Post Thanks / Like
    If you are serious about removing the swirls you really should invest in PC random orbital buffer, I did & it`s the best buy I ever made.

Alex at Serious P is a really helpful bloke & you can also get all Megs pro range from him as well. He will have Poorboys products hopefully by the end of the month.

My suggestion for your car is:-

Megs DACP (machine applied)

Clearkote Vanilla Moose (machine applied)

Poorboys EX (hand)

Top with either P21S or Clearkote Carnuba Moose wax (hand)

The finish is truly amazing

Post Thanks / Like
    If the glaze works for you then top the glaze with a non cleaner wax to seal the glaze. Last up to 3 months in good weather.

Post Thanks / Like
    Hi Vindaloo.

Which random buffer did you go for? I`ve never used one before and to be truthful I`m really nervous about trying it. I realise it`ll almost certainly give far superior results to hand application but I`ve got visions of even worse swirls!

Any tips for a buffer virgin?

Any US advice/thoughts on the Griots Garage wax? best I`ve used so far - measured against Meguiars, Autoglym, Race Glaze and various other UK products.

Maybe some of us UK car nuts could get together at some point? I`m in Basingstoke, Hants, just off J7 off the M3. The weather here`s still favouring playing with cars (fingers crossed for this weekend).
    Peugeot 205 GTi 1.6

Ford Ka3

Post Thanks / Like
    I imported the Porter cable 7224 from Coastal Tools in the US. This is widely accepted as the best particularly for a total amateur. Believe me you cannot damage your car with this baby.

Post Thanks / Like
    When removing scratches, BEGIN with the mildest abrasive you can. If scraches persist, move up 1-2 levels in abrasiveness, then polish withn finer and finer products. Repeat until scratches are gone.

Post Thanks / Like
    Andy

The best shampoo I have used is from Dr Wack (the original P21S company) at www.iauto.co.uk and dont forget to get some soft wash mitts. Order some clay from 3M - you will not regret it and then you will wonder how you ever lived without it. One other tip, you can never have enough Micro Fibre towels.

There is a vast amount of information here on using a PC.

Renault are correct in one sense, most swirls are created by washing and polishing but it is not acceptable to everyone.

My best advice is not to go out and spend huge amounts of money on products, obviously you can if you wish, but to read and read some more on what is said here.

Autoglym makes a good array of products, apart from the Shampoo and Show Shine which I believe are poor. I have directly compared Autoglym to Zaino and the difference was not night and day. Autoglym applied in the right way with the right products produces good results.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread Information