Post Thanks / Like
    Would you guys use a bonnet or a white foam pad to apply AIO?

Thanks.

Post Thanks / Like
    Either will use too much product and I think both would be too harsh to apply with a PC. I would use a black/grey pc pad to apply Klasse Glaze.

I always apply by hand, you`d waste far less and it doesn`t seem like I would save that much time anyhow.

Post Thanks / Like
    Having tried both, its not worth using the PC. It goes on faster and thinner by hand...

The Rainmaker
    Post Thanks / Like
    On a severely oxidized finish, a PC with a polishing pad and AIO works quite well. If the paint is in decent condition to start with, applying by hand is probably faster.

Since I have never used the SG, and he only asked about AIO, I`ll leave that alone.

Charles

Post Thanks / Like
    I always use the PC to apply the AIO, it`s fun, easy, and leaves a terrific finish for the SG. It might waste a little product, but what the heck, we`re doing this for fun, right?

On my Pewter Z-71 GMC, I haven`t even used the SG yet, I just re-apply the AIO every 4-6 months with the PC.
    Edwin

07 IS350 Starfire Pearl

The Old Grey Whistle Test togwt's Avatar
    Post Thanks / Like
    I use the PC/white foam pad to apply AIO and follow up with SG applied with a grey foam pad (both DVC foam), usually about every four months, suns is pretty strong here.

justadumbarchitect
    What gets overlooked too often is that one must be a student before becoming a teacher.

The Rainmaker
    Post Thanks / Like
    White pads, grey pads, black pads???

How about using the type of pad instead of the color? Not all manufacturers of pads use the same color system.

Cutting pad, polishing pad, finishing pad, these mean something to me. White, grey, black, orange, red, yellow, beige, are just colors.

Charles

Post Thanks / Like
    I used a polishing pad to apply the AIO. On an older car I think it is definitely worth using a PC but on a newer car I believe doing it by hand uses less product, just as quick and works just as well as a PC but you could get by with a finishing pad on the newer car. Just a matter of user preference and how hard you need the amazing AIO to work. However, I would most definitely recommend doing SG by hand.

Post Thanks / Like
    I do as much as I can by machine, started doing it that way back when serious shoulder injuries made hand-application impossible. Now I STILL do it that way. *IMO*, the PC goes over each area a lot faster, more often, and more uniformly than my hand would. And *I* find it a lot easier to move the PC back and forth, easier to use my whole body, which can be important when doing a big job.

For AIO, a foam POLISHING pad works well. This includes Griot`s orange pads, CMA/Lake/TOL white, and Meg`s yellow.

For some tough areas, like the "gravel guard" (textured paint, often with a satin/flat black finish) on some cars` rocker panels, I use a CUTTING pad. Note that many cutting pads are NOT, in and of themselves, so abrasive that they will mar modern paints, at least not when the pads have a product like AIO on them. I used AIO with a cutting pad on the black painted rocker panels and black plastic lower bumper sections of my Audis- with GREAT results.

For SG, use a foam FINISHING pad. Be especially careful to put it on thin, this can be sorta tricky when applying by machine. If you get it on too thick, give it extra time to dry, use a damp MF for the first wipe, and maybe also use some QD.

IMO, there are worse things you can do than waste a little product. By hand, by machine, do whatever YOU like doing.

Post Thanks / Like
    “White pads, grey pads, black pads???

How about using the type of pad instead of the color? Not all manufacturers of pads use the same color system.

Cutting pad, polishing pad, finishing pad, these mean something to me. White, grey, black, orange, red, yellow, beige, are just colors.â€

The foam pads I use are “Durofoam Variable Contact “ (DVC). The colour indicates it’s ‘cut’ and what it’s normally used for. They are available from Classic Motoring Accessories, and are a custom blend of thermally reticulated polyurethane with a 99% open cell structure. These foams are created specifically for compounding, polishing and finishing; this foam allows air to circulate through the pad to reduce heat build-up.

I hope this answers your questionâ€/

justadumbarchitect
    What gets overlooked too often is that one must be a student before becoming a teacher.

Post Thanks / Like
    Originally posted by BlackRegal

AIO with a polishing pad (Lake Country white pad)

SG with an MF applicator pad.

Same for me. :xyxthumbs
    If you tremble indignation at every injustice then you are a comrade of mine. - <b>Ernesto Che Guevara</b>

Post Thanks / Like
    This got `missed out` of my post-

Pad Colours:

Yellow: Cutting

White: Polishing

Grey: Finishing

justadumbarchitect

The Rainmaker
    Post Thanks / Like
    Thanks for the pad/color clarification.

I happen to use Meguiar`s PC pads and their cutting pad is maroon, their polishing pad is yellow, and their finishing pad is tan/beige.

Charles :wavey

Post Thanks / Like
    As you can see from my `signiture`(justadumbarchitect) I`m not a professional detailer and I had thought that there was a universal colour system to enable recognition between pads.

I now see that it differs from mfg to mfg.

The Rainmaker
    Post Thanks / Like
    Jon:

You will find that you can`t depend on what you think you know, even within product lines by the same manucturer.

Case in point.

Meguiar`s

QuiK Detailer - A quick detailer :doh

Quick Detailer - A fairly aggressive cleaner/wax

Final Inspection - A quick detailer that is body shop safe

Final Detail - A quick detailer that isn`t body shop safe

No doubt, all are good products, but sometimes it is a little confusing sorting out the correct names.

With Meguiar`s, read the description and the instructions beforeyou buy the product. If in doubt, call them. 800-545-3321

Their reps are not nearly as bad as some people seem to think.

Charles

(Just a dumb retired peddler)

Thread Information