Post Thanks / Like
    A couple weeks ago I drove to houston and back. My car looked like it had a mustache and beard by the time I got back.

I sprayed the car down at a power wash (yeah yeah I know) but most of the stuff Didn`t come off, so I went home and got out the bucket and mitts.

I got all of the bug `bodies` off, but a lot of the `splatter` remains, even after using my Porsche Tequipment(sp?) and the sponge.

Anyway, I basiclly gave up after that, until last night I had cleaned my car the day before and the bug spots were still there and bothering me. I decided to try a claybar (glide+block)... which worked ok, it seemed to take a lot of work to get off spots.

Does anyone have any other suggestions for me to try? I even tried some old Gunk(tm) Bug and Tar remover with ill results.

Post Thanks / Like
    I`ve learned that bugs are one of those things that needs to be taken care of ASAP. The longer you wait the worse it will be. If you have a good coat of wax on the car it helps in the removal. It seems like you`ve done everything correct. Maybe you could try a more agressive clay?? Time is your worst enemy when it comes to bugs.

Post Thanks / Like
    How are you feeling these days?

Here is a link to a new product that has a good review.

http://www.autopia.org/forums/showth...+special+touch

good luck

Post Thanks / Like
    Rightlane,

I`m feeling better, thanks.

I think I`ll try davids PPCL+Tissue tip in the learn section of the forum.. see what that does and go from there.

Post Thanks / Like
    After a long trip with lots of bugs to contend with, I wash my car as soon as I can with a good car shampoo and use a bug sponge for the front to remove as much of the splatter as I can. If I spot any left-over bug residue after the car has been washed & dried, I spritz the spot with QD detail and wipe. I repeat the spritz-wipe combo until the spot is gone. I`ve tried pre-treatments, bug and tar removers, etc. but they all seemed to leave a trace amount of bug residue. The QD will finish the job up nicely.
    `96 Jeep Cherokee Country - White - Gray Leather Interior

`02 Volkswagen Passat GLX - Reflex Silver - Black Leather Interior - 5 spd Manual

Post Thanks / Like
    Well I tried to use the tequipment bug sponge and it helped somewhat, but the splatter that is caked and dried just isn`t budging. The tequipment sponge is too soft..

The claybar even has a hard time taking it off, perhaps I need to soak some of these spots well before claying.

Post Thanks / Like
    If the Tarminator won`t work (equal to your Porsche Tequipment) I use Klasse AIO and a cotton applicator. Takes a little bit of rubbing if the remains have been on the paint for a while but it does come off.

Post Thanks / Like
    Maybe you can try CW1:100 insect remover if you can get your hands on it.iauto.co.uk :nixweiss

Post Thanks / Like
    Originally posted by Mindflux

Rightlane,

I`m feeling better, thanks.

I think I`ll try davids PPCL+Tissue tip in the learn section of the forum.. see what that does and go from there.

Ehh, it sort of worked, sort of didn`t.

I guess I need a bug sponge..

The tequipment sponge is too soft I suppose.

I`ve got this other sponge I have no idea where it came from.. but it doesn`t seem all that stiff either.

Too bad the black side of the tequipment sponge is for windows only.. it`s quite a bit rougher.

Post Thanks / Like
    You must have some really bad bug spots if you havn`t been able to remove them with all the products you`ve tried. Are you sure they haven`t eaten into the paint? The only other thing i can think of is use some sort of abrasive polish or some mineral spirits.

Post Thanks / Like
    Well they`re still raised from the paint, I know it`s a bug spot. I can feel them with my finger or with a claybar etc. They`ve been there for 3 weeks or so now. They didn`t come off very easily to begin with, I guess hitting bugs at 80MPH really gets them stuck .

Post Thanks / Like
    it may or may not help much but i have bought this all purpose cleaner safe for kids and pets months ago and notice it removes insect splatter and bodies very easily(on my black toyota at least).............the name is chomp......here`s the link ; http://www.chompsolutions.com/SiteSo...=testimonials.

I had to let it soak for about 3 minutes then the bugs came off with very little efforts, the stuff is supposedly made from enzyme or rather enzymes make it work by eatin away at the dirt and stuff. I noticed that for some heavily soiled areas it doesnt work that well, but as far as bugs i have to say that it was FAR SUPERIOR TO 3M`s bug and tar remover, which i think isnt ranked amongst the best of the best anyway

Post Thanks / Like
    this link might work better as the first one doesnt seem to be working : http://www.chompsolutions.com/SiteSo...main&_pn=index

Post Thanks / Like
    Well with Persistence and time, they come off with a claybar. It`s really hard to see them once you get the bulk of it off on a Silver car.

Post Thanks / Like
    Glad you hear you got them off. Clay will usually do it, just takes time.

Thread Information