Post Thanks / Like
    What does those terms mean?
    Interviewer: : Rock, you got anything derogatory to say about the champ?

Rocky Balboa: Derogatory? Yeah. He`s great

Post Thanks / Like
    Means there are no silicones that, when painted over or left unchecked in a body shop, will cause fisheye.

-Tom

Post Thanks / Like
    I read about it in an another post here in Autopia. I remember the body shop safe term means it can be use in a body shop with no risk of fires. Body shops use different substances than can react.

I hope I did not dream about this and I am talking B.....S..... LOL. (I hope I did not break any rule with the previous acronym).

Make a search and you will find the post in Autopia

:xyxthumbs

Post Thanks / Like
    fidelfs,

I did a search with no luck.

Doesn`t seem like any consumer product, with silcone or not, would bond so hard to the paint that it couldn`t be prepared (by sanding) for painting.
    Interviewer: : Rock, you got anything derogatory to say about the champ?

Rocky Balboa: Derogatory? Yeah. He`s great

Post Thanks / Like
    NHBFAN, if you haven`t tried this yet, you might send a PM to Mike Phillips and ask him to weigh-in on this thread.

As I understand it, some silicones will prevent paints from bonding properly (most paint shops deal with this by applying something like prepsol to get rid of wax, silicones, etc.) and they`ll also reduce the effectiveness of polymer sealants like Zaino.

But ... check with the experts like Mike Phillips and some of the pro detailers here. :up

Post Thanks / Like
    After applying a coat of paint, it is often necessary to compound, polish & glaze the surface. Materials used in these steps have to be silicone-free, or else the paint will not cure properly.

Keep in mind that the majority of the compounds, polishes and glazes used by Autopians were not originally created or targeted to the enthusiast or even professional detailer. We just use them because they`re usually better than compounds and polishes targeted to the enthusiast detailer (like Scratch-X). Detailers like us may use DACP, FCRC, etc., but the "professional/OEM" are considered Automotive Dealers and Automotive Repair Shops (i.e. body-shops). Detail shops often require a different selection of products. A good example is the use of silicones. Highly beneficial in the detail shop yet "banned" in the body and dealer shops. Whether or not the compound I use on my car is body-shop safe or not doesn`t really matter because I`m using it on fully cured, hardened paint.

Hope I didn`t confuse you more.

Fidelfs, flammability of the material is not really an issue. Believe me, body-shops work with materials that are far more flammable than any compound or polish.

Post Thanks / Like
    What Intermezzo said!

Thread Information