Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Post Thanks / Like
    Originally posted by Gonzo

Hey butchdave

What part of Surrey? I`ve been to Godstone a few times in my life (Mom`s birth place). Know any Crowhursts, Tharby`s?
    Hi Gonzo

I`m just a bit North from there near Woking. I used to know a Crowhurst but can`t say the same for a Tharby
    I can`t believe you kiss your car good night.

C`mon baby tell me-you must be jokin`, right!
    Shania Twain

Citroen BX `88, Lomax 223 `85, Citroen 11BN `56

Post Thanks / Like
    Originally posted by AndyC

Maybe some of us UK car nuts could get together at some point? I`m in Basingstoke, Hants, just off J7 off the M3. The weather here`s still favouring playing with cars (fingers crossed for this weekend).
    Meets seem to work for some of our US colleagues so why not us? Mind you I wouldn`t let anyone see my car just now - its not been cleaned for three weeks and its absolutely disgusting, and the scratches! Never mind the swirls...

I will be passing you on Saturday as I nip down the M3 from Woking (J3) to Southampton to look at some leather seats
    I can`t believe you kiss your car good night.

C`mon baby tell me-you must be jokin`, right!
    Shania Twain

Citroen BX `88, Lomax 223 `85, Citroen 11BN `56

Post Thanks / Like
    Sounds like it`s my washing regime which is really wrong here. Using Megs Gold Class but yellow sponges (albeit kept clean and separate for body, wheels, arches and so on) so will try wash mitts although I`ve never got on with these before.

Any in particular recommended or can I get them locally at Halfords or similar?

I`m going to stick with hand application for now as I think from looking at articles & photos in this forum that my swirls are probably going to shift with a bit of blood, sweat & tears so we`ll see what happens at the weekend.
    Peugeot 205 GTi 1.6

Renault Laguna dCi120 Expression

Ford Ka3

Post Thanks / Like
    Vindaloo where did you get your step dowmn transformer as im waitting to receive my PC 7424.

Many thanks

Gerry
    Tuned by GT-Art running HKS 2530 Kansai`s

Post Thanks / Like
    Newmarket Transformers Ltd, 01271 879300. You have to post them a cheque as they are not geared up for on-line shopping.

I bought the boxed 1kva although you will probably get away with a 500va at a push. They come with 2 US sockets on so the PC simply plugs in without plug chopping etc.

Post Thanks / Like
    Hi and welcome to the forum Andy :brit

Sounds like you definately need to try DACP as #9 probably wont be abrasive enough for what sounds like pretty damaged paintwork.

I would fitch those yellow sponges straight away and get a couple of sheepskin mitts from here:

http://www.sheepskinshop.co.uk/accessories.htm

While you are at it I highly recommend Alex at www.seriousperformance.co.uk Great products, prices and service

Nick.

Post Thanks / Like
    welcome to the forum

Post Thanks / Like
    Thanks Rich - and is that the 306 which has appeared in the Shining Stars comp? looks familiar!

Does anyone know where I can decent wash mitts - either sheepskin or chenille - at short notice (or from a high street retailer). Will try Halfords but I think theirs are mainly synthetic.

Don`t think I can get those recommended by Nick in time for the weekend and the more I read this forum, the more I am sure that my wash technique is a big part of the problem.

I shouldn`t kick myself too hard though as the car was buffed by a Renault dealer last year when I initially complained about the poor finish and I still believe that they made a right mess of it.
    Peugeot 205 GTi 1.6

Ford Ka3

Post Thanks / Like
    On the wash mitt .. preference is sheepskin ( real one) then chenelle .. the other mitts like the terry cloth ones will scratch. The idea of the sheepskin is it is very soft and will draw the dirt into itself and away from the paint. I use an old mitt to wash the wheels etc.

Also look at your drying method. A chamois is old technology. Most now use MF towels. I use a combo as follows.

1) Once washing is fone that he nozzle off the hose and with a gentle water stream run the water over the car to pull the water off.

2) I then use an absorber held by the 2 long corners and drag it over the major flat surfaces to pull off the excess water. Some us a California Water Blade

3) I now use a MF towel to dry starting with the windows then hood(bonnet) /roof/trunk(boot)/doors etc. Seperate old bath towel is used to dry door/trunk edges and another old one for the wheels.

Post Thanks / Like
    The feedback I`m geeting here is great and it does look I need to totally change the way I wash.

FYI, I`ve been using a flexi blade made by Turtle Wax to remove the majority of the water left after washing, followed by the Megs sunthetic chamois to sopt dry any areas the blade misses then 2 or 3 old MF`s on door and hatch shuts and edges. I`ve found that simply using a clean MF on glass works wonders.

I think I really need to get me a good wash mitt or all my hard work is going to be for nothing!
    Peugeot 205 GTi 1.6

Ford Ka3

Post Thanks / Like
    I have tried the Megs synthetic Chamois .. sorry... ended up used for wiping down my patio furniture. Too much effoert for too little drying = unnecessary rubbing. The Blades.... Some swear by them others only go on about the grit they picked up with it and scratched the car. If you ever see the Absorber synthetic .. try one .. It takes about 5 uses to get it conditioned and after that they are great. I have numerous small and large MF towels but I can dry all the windows and body panels with the one 14 x 14 MF towel I bought from Meguiars. The rest are great but this is a level up.

Post Thanks / Like
    Got to say that I expected great things from the Megs chamios but less than 100% impressed - seems to leave a lot of smears and not actually absorb water from the paint surface.

I`d heard varying rumours too about the blades but haven`t noticed extra scratches after using.

I am really motivated to give the car some TLC this weekend - will take some digital photos and try to post them for all to see and comment
    Peugeot 205 GTi 1.6

Ford Ka3

Post Thanks / Like
    I would avoid using the water blade, just use a large waffle weave MF towel. Treat yourself to a 36 x 24 WW MF from www.pakshak.com. He is a great bloke to deal with & whilst you are ordering get some of his 16x16 MF`s, much better quality than we get in the UK. Postage to the UK on the WW & 10 x MF`s is $16 with no VAT & duty to pay.

Post Thanks / Like
    You can also use a step down transformer which are used on building sites etc. Easy to pick up second hand.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread Information