Post Thanks / Like
    I have a couple of questions that need answering...

1. Any recomendations as to what would be good to get wax off a mag wheel. I have used the Meguairs Rim cleaner, but that only seems to get rid of all the brake dust and grit. I have been suggested by a Auto store to use 800grit wet and dry, which I am about to do unless there is a different alternative. (The rims are already scratched and suffering from rim rash)

2. The exhaust tip was black, and I have sanded it back with various grits of wet and dry, all it needs now is a shine to it. Was wondering if Meguiars Wet Look Polish Would do any good? I am presuming not, but don`t fancy going out and buying some special metal polishing compound.

3. I have these marks in the paint which have been there since we bought it. They are a blobish shape, the centre is same colour as the paintwork, however there is a whitish border around them. I have done my best to hide these, however in sunlight they appear quite prominently.

4. Also there are some white spots on the bonnet which i cant get out aswell, but i have managed to hide them. I have tried Meguiars Paint Clenaer and #9.

Ohwell, that is about it for now.

Regards

Dave

Post Thanks / Like
    I know it is hard without pictures, but at the current momet I cannot get pictures. I am buying a Digital Camera next week for my birthday, so will be pictures then.

Cheers

Dave

Post Thanks / Like
    Re: your question #1: Meguiar`s APC+ diluted 64:1 is supposed to remove wax. Could also try 3M Adhesive, Tar, & Wax remover. Not sure if you have access to those products, though.

Can`t provide any helpful tips about your other questions.

Post Thanks / Like
    Thanks - I`ll try it tomorow.

Can anyone help on the last 2?

Post Thanks / Like
    Mothers makes an inexpensive metal polish. My Lightning runs quite rich so the inside of the exhaust get a lot of carbon build-up. Mothers takes it all off and does a bang-up job on the outsides as well being polished stainless steel. I don`t thing any kind of applied finish (of the waxy or acrylic kind) could stand the high temps on the exhaust - metal polish does just what it says and will most likely be your only option.

SWithout pix it sounds like your paint problems could be one of 3 things to me

1) Wax buildup around some imperfection in the paint. Try hitting it with a soft toothbrush and a 50-50 mix of water and denatured alcohol

2) If you vehicle is clearcoated, you may have abraded the surface inadvertantly and gone through the clearcoat. You may need to polish the whole vehicle (or at least the areas with the white rings with something like DACP followed by a finer polish.

3) Hard water rings - again, hit it with DACP followed by a finer polish or ScratchX.

I a noob as well, so maybe you best wait untill one of the "wizards" chimes in on this thread

Post Thanks / Like
    Exhaust tips polished with Mother`s - inside and out
    Attached Images Attached Images

Post Thanks / Like
    For baked on brake dust you can always try brake cleaner.

If you can get Autoglym, their wheel cleaner is good (brake cleaner is stronger). Clay would help remove any final bits and then finish with a good sealent to make cleaning easier in the future.

Post Thanks / Like
    Originally posted by Gonzo

Exhaust tips polished with Mother`s - inside and out
    Gonzo, which of the Mother`s metal polishes did that amazing job for you?? It`s seriously awesome!

Post Thanks / Like
    #3 sounds like water spot etching (letting polluted rain water dry on finish). Try a mild polish first. If you can get Autoglym stuff their Renovator might be the next step up (since it`s much stronger).

#4 might be either oxidation (treat as above) or defective paint. It`s hard to tell without seeing it in person...

Post Thanks / Like
    Gonzo - That is a fantastic job! Well done on that!

The brake dust has come off alright with the Megs Wheel cleaner, its just that there is a waxy substance in places, but i`ll give the products listed a go.

I took a picture of the white spots on the bonnet, waiting for film to get developed.

Those blotches that appear on the roof and bonnet can only been seen in certain angles, so it is hard to take a picture of them. I will try take a picture in late afternoon sun, which might be easier to see without the glare.

Thanks for your help guys.

Regards

Dave

Post Thanks / Like
    Sorry I took so long - I mainly read this board at work, so had to go home to make sure I got the product name correct.

Mother`s Mag & Aliminum Polish

Keep in mind those exhaust tips are not Ford`s. They are Bassani`s which come from the factory with polished stainless steel tips. I use the Mother`s to remove the carbon from the inside and the road grunge that washing doesn`t remove from the outside.

Thanks for the kudo`s.

Thread Information