Post Thanks / Like
    the header says it all, i wonder if it takes long to go thru the clear coat using medium cut. by hand ?............not that i want to go thru it !!

Obsessive Compulsive Detailer Jngrbrdman's Avatar
    Post Thanks / Like
    Good luck going through the clear using it by hand. I would say that its nearly impossible unless you work at it for several hours on one spot without stopping. Even then... Its tough to remove clear coat with a machine using a medium cut. I don`t know that you could do it by hand even if you were trying.
    ~ ~ www.OCDetails.com ~ ~
    Faster isn`t better. BETTER is better no matter how long it takes.

Post Thanks / Like
    I`m going to explain what im trying to do, i guess you would like to know. I have many stone chips on my hood, but only couple of real ones, as my car is black. I mean that if it were another color(light one) only the real ones would show, and the others that are merely the shadow of chips wouldnt, so i thought i could buff the smallest to only leave the real ones apparent, using light cut(which was way too soft) then i moved to medium cut, which seems to help, but for fear of going thru clear(since im only familiar with light cut and polishes) i wanted to know if it could be problematic for me to use it to correct those imperfections on front of hood.

Maybe i would have better luck using light cut and the rotary, instead of trying with medium cut by hand.

Post Thanks / Like
    I still think you`re trying to fix the irreparable. Sorry, don`t mean to be a real :sosad about it...

*I`D* just try to smooth the edges of the chips a bit. If you thin the clear you`re just asking for REAL trouble from any FUTURE chips. Heh heh, I`ll take my pessimistic advice and leave now

Post Thanks / Like
    Accumulator, no no stay buddy, i don`t mind at all being told the truth, in fact i appreciate it a lot

I more than agree with you that im trying to fix the irrepairable, and that`s why about humm 35 minutes ago, i went to my bodyshop, got an appointment to have the hood repainted

Why a sudden change of heart ? Well, after lunch i went back outside and took a look at it, and quite frankly, i just gave up on it, and decided to have it repainted :xyxthumbs

that`s a weight off my shoulder i admit lol.

P.S. i didnt find any of your comment annoying, or really pessimistic............if you knew me in real life, you`d see im a real, funny and easygoing type of person :spot

take care bud

Mark

Post Thanks / Like
    OK, I figured everything was cool...I DO hate to think that someone is gonna make a situation WORSE by beating a dead horse.

*I* think you`ll be glad you got the hood painted, assuming they do a good job. BE SURE to tell them how particular you are and inspect it (UNGLAZED) under good conditions before paying/accepting the car.

Some problems can "only be solved with a paint gun" and there comes a time when that`s the thing to do :xyxthumbs

Post Thanks / Like
    I chose one that has a good name, don`t you worry, i`m VERY VERY particular lol, and the guy knows all too well..........i made it clear i want the job *PERFECT* or as close to it as he can.

later

:wavey

Post Thanks / Like
    Chip,

Glad to know you are now letting it get repainted.

Now, after it`s done, check the work under high intensity lights like Halogen or Mercury Vapor lamps... these will show EVERYTHING!

Once the paint has cured and is polished, you may want to look into Armorglove for the hood and other areas that get attacked by stone chipping. I have it on my SC430, and I wanted the BEST paint protection film. After seeing all the high-end cars they do in Greenwich (Ferrari, Porsche, Rolls Royce, etc) I then let them handle the application. Did a great job! Best investment I made! I had the following: front bumper/air-dam, hood (wrapped under hood edges) headlights, fender by headlights, side mirrors, rocker panels and door cups. Cost was a little of $1000.00 for all, but never have to worry! Here`s the link to the site: Armorglove paint protection film

Here`s a pic of the SC430 with it on: Armorglove on SC430

I had to highlight where it ends on the hood, as you can`t see it unless you`re ontop of the hood area and the pic didn`t show it at first. The darker the cars finish, the harder it is to see. Lighter finishes do not hide it as well.

Post the pics when it`s repainted. A before and after would be nice!

Regards,

Deanski
    DR SHINE
    Swanky Shine (tm)
    What`s in YOUR garage? 997 Carrera S.

Post Thanks / Like
    Deanski, i admit the armorglove cover/wrapping is indeed a good investment, or at least it does seem to be so far. And just to second a comment i saw at the bottom of the link to your car : your car does look TERRIFIC ! Nice ride.

Tell me Deanski, do people round you have a hard time dealing with your being VERY particular and meticulous about your car ? As to me, people throw a lot of wise cracks to me about it

But i ain`t going to change cause of that lol

About the paint job, well, i think i`, double warn the guy, that i want it perfect.......and when i say perfect i mean just that. At times, i can of hold back and assume the guy will do a good job(not necessarily talking about paint job here), and just don`t warn him before he get started................girlfriend has told me numerous time not to be embarassed to demand what i want. I`ve been had this way many many times, saying : oh, it`s satisfactory, but in the end was never happy with the result, and was too shy to go back and tell the guy the job was not to my licking, and not worth what i paid for in fact.

I got to change that, starting from now on, or i`ll never do it.

Post Thanks / Like
    Originally posted by Chip Douglas

................girlfriend has told me numerous time not to be embarassed to demand what i want. I`ve been had this way many many times, saying : oh, it`s satisfactory, but in the end was never happy with the result, and was too shy to go back and tell the guy the job was not to my licking, and not worth what i paid for in fact.

I got to change that, starting from now on, or i`ll never do it.

There you go :xyxthumbs . Nothing wrong with being (politely) assertive, lots wrong with NOT being assertive. Getting your hood repainted is a good place to start, as you KNOW you`re right- nothing but perfection is acceptable so that`s all you`re willing to accept. The clearer you make this, the better for everyone.

Post Thanks / Like
    Well, you have every right to clarify your requirements when it comes to the paint job being done to your car. After all, it`s your car and your money!

I do sometimes get some people responding to the way I maintain the SC430, but mostly I get complements and how it got so shinny. I do park in far away places and have door ding guards that go on depending where it`s parked. Mostly it`s within sight.

As for the Armorglove, this was one of the best investments I made hands down! You don`t have to go as radical as I did, just a hood would be money well spent so you don`t go through this again. Go and look at the prices. There are of course other paint protection film, but I did my due diligence and found that Armorglove has better film and good installers. The film is of a thicker brand of 3M Scotchcal used mostly in europe. It`s a bit more glossy than others or standard Scotchcal. Bottom line is no matter which one you get, it all depends on the installer!

Back to the paint job: Just make sure everyone understands what is involved including yourself as to the job being done. The shop can instruct you on how it will be done and how it will look. You both want to come to an agreement when you have to pick it up. Speak to them about dust particles, orange peel, etc and just understand that they should control all these items to a minimum.

If at all possible, have them put it in writting in the work order what your expectations are and what you will except. If it`s a known good shop, they will without hesitation. After all, a good job could mean more business thier way!

Good luck and let us know when it`s done!

Regards,

Deanski
    DR SHINE
    Swanky Shine (tm)
    What`s in YOUR garage? 997 Carrera S.

Post Thanks / Like
    I`ll sure keep you posted. The guy told me it should be done in two weeks times.

later all:wavey

Thread Information