Post Thanks / Like
    I just prepared the paint, again, for Z5. I used Ajax because I do not have Dawn. After washing twice with the Ajax I hosed off the area I will be applying the Z5 to and noticed something interesting. The water came off in one complete sheet. I was pretty neat to watch the entire sheet slowly sliding off the hood. But when we apply protection to the paint we get beading. Beading then leads to waterspots.

So we apply protection to the paint but it then beads and causes waterspots, but without protection the water sheets right off.

There used to be an infomercial for a product that would protect the paint and cause the water to sheet.

Interesting.

Post Thanks / Like
    There are several products that sheet water. The original Blackfire sheets water, Gold Class is pretty sheety, and MPPP is pretty sheety and durable.

The only problem I see is that it`s hard to get a gauge on the condition the product is in. I prefer beads because they`re cooler looking too. But MPPP always left a high shine to let me know it was still there.

Post Thanks / Like
    Ajax... isn`t that like, an abrasive powder? (if so, insert shuddering emoticon here)

Tom

Post Thanks / Like
    It was soap. The orange dish kind. Maybe Ajax is the wrong name.

Post Thanks / Like
    I was mad that uhm, my Blackfire II car (2 coats) wasn`t beading anymore. This concerns me when I applied the last coat labor day weekend. So, I decided to say good-bye to blackfire II and go use the free Liquid Sourveran that I got free. It won`t "last as long" as the sealer (well, it didn`t last more than a month if that`s anything to judge by). I want my car to bead, but I must say it is neat to watch it sheet. I know it`s protected then.

Post Thanks / Like
    If you want the water sheet instead of bead, after you finishing rinsing your car, remove the nozzle and let the water trickle out of the end of the hose onto your car, starting from the top. As long as your wax is good, the water will sheet off and drying is a lot easier. That way if you like a wax/sealant that beads, you can still get good sheeting action that reduces drying time.
    www.scottwax.com

Certified Opti-Coat Pro/Pro 3 installer

Post Thanks / Like
    Originally posted by outdoorsr

But when we apply protection to the paint we get beading. Beading then leads to waterspots.

So we apply protection to the paint but it then beads and causes waterspots, but without protection the water sheets right off.

The water spots are not on the paint though, because the paint is protected. . . if you leave the "protection" off, then your paint is exposed to everything.
    Bryan Pendleton

Post Thanks / Like
    WAIT! Do noto use household soaps such as dawn. Only use car washing soap, anything else will most likely wash off the wax. Then your wax won`t last as long, and according to some professional detailers, dish soap may harm your paint as well. Go to you local auto store to pick up something good.
    love,

Oliver

2003 Mustang Mach 1 (Black)

Interior upgrade package

Completely stock and beautiful

Post Thanks / Like
    Buuut I like washing with Dawn before a big detail. It`s fun. It suds up a lot

Post Thanks / Like
    :welcome to Autopia loveOliver!
    ~Miguel

Post Thanks / Like
    Dishwash soap - crucial step before Zaino.

Post Thanks / Like
    Originally posted by outdoorsr

Dishwash soap - crucial step before Zaino.

A good step before any "start from scratch" full detailing. Or before applying more Zaino if the last time you applied was some time ago and you have used "other" QD sprays on it.. Dawn won`t lift Zaino but will lift most other waxes and their residues.

Thread Information