Post Thanks / Like
    I want to have a clear bra applied to my car. I have found an installer in my area that has a good reputation. They apply the Expel clear bra. They use two brands of protective film, 3M and Avery dennison. I have done a search on Avery Dennison and it came up empty. Can anyone tell me if this is a good product or should I go with the 3M? The installer said he liked the Avery Dennison better because he found it to be clearer and more resistant to scratches. What one is the better choice. Thanks for any replys.

That'll buff right out! jimmybuffit's Avatar
    Post Thanks / Like
    Just had a shield applied to her VW GSX VR6. It is not the 3M version. Frankly, I do not know what brand it is. I do frequent work/referrals - back and forth - with a nearby tint shop, and that`s what they recommended. I know they`ll stand behind it. ( it is from Solar Control, out of Columbus, OH - could well be the Avery brand?)

It is a great idea, and looks perfect, after only 7 days...

BTW, he did NOT install headlight covers... he claims they`ve had several reports of EXPLOSIONS(!) due to insulating the heat ...

Sorry I can`t be more specific.

Jim
    "If it was easy, everybody`d be doing it."
    www.jimmybuffit.com

Post Thanks / Like
    Both Avery StoneShield and 3M Clear Bra/Transparent Bra are 8 mil thick. It would depend on the price and how extensive the body coverage is in the kit. 3M, Venture, and Ricochet are the urethane film companies I hear mentioned all the time being used in the various kits and name brands (ArmorGlove, Clear-Guard, Invinca-Shield, DynaShield, etc). Would suspect Avery falls into the same category. Think you will be happy whatever choice you make.

Here`s a link to buying bulk film and installation steps: http://www.bgsales.com/auto/stoneshield.asp

The Avery website is down/under construction:

http://www.averyaftermarket.com/

An Avery vs competitors chart:

http://www.clear-guard.com/materialData.asp

Post Thanks / Like
    Having my brand new 2003 Lexus SC430 within 15 days get stone chipped, I did by research and found that Armorglove fits the bill.

The film is thicker than standard 3M Scotchcal, and they can wrap the hood. By that I mean the edges are wrapped under the hood where some other film application companies stop at the edge. Those look more like a big decal.

I had the following done: front bumper/air-dam, hood, headlights, fender by headlights called "wings", rocker panels, side mirrors and door cups.

Armorglove does all the high-end cars in my area, and I have examined the quality of work and materials used. By far, they were the best. They have a fantastic crew, and did an exceptional job.

Here is a pic of the SC430 with it on. I highlighted the end where it stops up the hood with polish as it`s hard to see.

Armorglove on my SC430

You can wax it, but don`t use a polisher over it. Do not rub hard. I scratched one area with too much pressure, and it`s a pain to remove these light scratches. The film is glossy, but not overkill and looks same on my finish. In years to come, it can be removed by heatgun and paint will match in terms of UV oxidation the areas not protected.

This is by far a worthwhile investment, and looks a whole lot better than a black bra that ends up scuffing a finish over time.

Regards,

Deanski
    DR SHINE
    Swanky Shine (tm)
    What`s in YOUR garage? 997 Carrera S.

Thread Information