Post Thanks / Like
    I had my hood painted recently, and it had a lot of orange peel in it, so I decided to wet sand it like I`ve done other times with stuff I`ve had painted.

So, I wetsanded it down with 1500 on a sanding block until it was where I wanted it. Then I took my wool pad and some 3m Perfect-It Fine Cut and buffed the hood a couple times. After the wool I used a Mirror Glaze red cutting pad and Mirror Glaze #4 heavy cut cleaner and went over it twice. Lastly I went over it with Mirror Glaze #9.

The Problem is there are these swirl marks in the paint, they are almost holographic looking.... where did i go wrong? Any tips? Never had this problem before. The car is black so that doesn`t help.

Post Thanks / Like
    Well I know some of the polishes claim to remove 1500 grit swirls but that maybe under perfect circumstances. Perhaps if you followed the 1500 with 2000 are even higher grit and then tried to polish.

good luck

Post Thanks / Like
    You used some very agressive products on that hood, so yes you are going to have some swirls. Which pad are you using the #9 with? Try a polishing pad with some more #9 and see if that helps. When I used to wetsand panels for Carmax, we were stuck with ****** polishes and compounds so sometimes you just have to keep at it. Maybe reduce the speed on your buffer when using the #9. If you heated the paint too much during the compounding phase, you may have to recompound again with a fine cut. Heating up the paint too much can cause swirls too.
    Bryan

2003 Mustang Cobra

SSR2.5/ UPP/ Maintained with TOL Bubble Wash/QEW & QS.

Post Thanks / Like
    I had the same problem recently with an older car that was repainted using clear. I belive the reason is that I didnt sand enough. If sanding a second time doesn`t correct the swirls, the swirls are too deep in the finish to correct.

After you compounded the finish, did you notice any swirls? If not, I would say you are causing them witht he #9, a pad, or your towel used for cleaning up. Also, try and use a glaze like IHG after #9. If the swirls are cosmetically fixed, you can almost bet they are only surface deep. And a differnt seletion of pad or product may clear it up.

Ryan

Post Thanks / Like
    Originally posted by COBRyan

You used some very agressive products on that hood, so yes you are going to have some swirls. Which pad are you using the #9 with? Try a polishing pad with some more #9 and see if that helps. When I used to wetsand panels for Carmax, we were stuck with ****** polishes and compounds so sometimes you just have to keep at it. Maybe reduce the speed on your buffer when using the #9. If you heated the paint too much during the compounding phase, you may have to recompound again with a fine cut. Heating up the paint too much can cause swirls too.

i used the #9 with a yellow pad, forgot to put that in there. i will try and redo it tomorrow. thats my last chance because im leaving for nopi friday

Post Thanks / Like
    A good thread on wetsanding:

click on the different links in the thread to learn more.

http://www.autopia.org/forums/showth...threadid=17769

good luck

Post Thanks / Like
    Originally posted by rightlane

A good thread on wetsanding:

click on the different links in the thread to learn more.

http://www.autopia.org/forums/showth...threadid=17769

good luck

hm, thats how i did it, big long strokes up and down the hood with the hose on it on a rubber sanding block with 3m paper.

Post Thanks / Like
    the red pad and #9 got them all out.:up

Thread Information