Thread: turtle wax

Post Thanks / Like
    Is turtle wax so bad no one even considers it even more? And if so, could anyone explain the main differences in outcome from turtle wax and say s100 and zainos or something? thanks.

Post Thanks / Like
    Well, it`s been over a decade since I used TW. I used their polymer sealant back then and didn`t like it or the Blue Poly Sealant, if people can remember that one.

I found the TW polymer to be tough to buff off and it left residue everywhere in the cracks and seams. Also didn`t appear to be that slick or glossy. Now can`t comment on any newer reformulations as I now use Zaino.

Can`t comment on any TW carnauba or S100 as haven`t used them.

Post Thanks / Like
    I still have a can of Turtle Wax carnauba.

The way I look at it is this way. If you`re not going to put anything on, TW is better than nothing, but for a few dollars more, you can put products like Mother`s and Meguiar`s on. Easier to apply and remove, better shine, and with the right products, no staining of trim.

Then, for a few more dollars, you can get into polymer sealants which will hold up to the summer heat, and last much longer, maybe up to 12 months.

So, for a small amount, you can have some protection, but it`ll be difficult to apply, difficult to remove, won`t look too great, and wear off quickly. If you`re willing to spend just a little more, you can get a product which is easy to use, produces spectacular results, and lasts a long time. Which would you choose?

Post Thanks / Like
    Originally posted by jeremepope

Is turtle wax so bad no one even considers it even more? And if so, could anyone explain the main differences in outcome from turtle wax and say s100 and zainos or something? thanks.

From the hundred of articles I`ve read over the past month in detailing, here`s what I have to say about the use of turtle wax:

* newbie/ doesn`t care mucha about swirl marks, etc, etc, etc./ "clean and shiny is enough"/ practical users= turtle wax.

*detailing anal/ will die if they see any swirl marks in their ride/ "shiny and squeaking clean isn`t enough/ advance users= Zaino and the likes.

That`s all.

Post Thanks / Like
    I still have a can of Blue Poly.

Anyway, there`s nothing "wrong" with Turtle Wax, but as said for a few dollars more you can do better. After all, how long does one container of wax really last you? An awful long time I bet! Better to spend a few dollars more for a product that you`ll have to live with for a few years than save some pocket change for a product you might not like as much.

Every company seems to make something good. In this case though, wax just doesn`t happen to be one of them.

Thread Information