Post Thanks / Like
    I got my new car and I can see there are very tiny fine swirl marks on the paint already, is Z-5 going to take care it? It is really really light swirl marks, I can only see it when I am absolutely focusing on the paint. I will Zaino detail the car this coming weekend but I am not sure if Z5 can do good on it. I used Z-5 to take care some heaveier swirl marks on my old car and seems like it`s not too good. I may need to use VM?

Post Thanks / Like
    Eliminate as many surface flaws that you can. A paint cleanser may be all you need prior to your Z5 application. Even though the new Z5 works better than previous formulations, do not expect it to cure anything more than very, very fine surface imperfections. Take your time and prep your finish well ( clay, polish( cleanser) and oil/silicone removal wash ( DAWN). Z7 wash, Z6 QD as an inspecting step and if your car meets your approval..... Zaino away!!! :wavey

Post Thanks / Like
    Zaino amplifies defects due to it being very optically pure.

I agree, you`re better off polishing as much out of the finish prior to Zaino.

Just make sure you get all oils off prior to Zaino, then Zaino away!

Here`s some tips:

Nick`s Zaino tips

Enjoy the Zaino!

Regards,

Deanski
    DR SHINE
    Swanky Shine (tm)
    What`s in YOUR garage? 997 Carrera S.

Post Thanks / Like
    Z5 only hides only the smallest of swirls and only after a few applications.
    Black Mustang GT

Post Thanks / Like
    OK, so I need to polish it and dawn wash it after the polish? Is MV or VM a good one to use? SHould I just use VM? and then dawn wash it. ANd if I polish it, do I need to dawn wash it first or use Z-7 to wash it is ok, dawn wash it twice make me feel uncomfortable, hehe Thanks guy!! You guys are great. Oh, any good recommendation on how to do detial the engine bay. The car is brand new and I don`t think I need to wash/hose it, I just want to see if I can use some engine polish spray on it and make it shine and wasier to clean up in the future. And good engine polish spray?

Post Thanks / Like
    No need to fear that Dawn that much, it`s not going to hurt your paint, certainly not after 2 washes.

I don`t really see a need for a Dawn, especially since I use mostly polymer waxes/sealants. If you`re going to polish your car you might as well skip it and go straight to a polish after regular wash and clay session.

I also feel that Dawn is not necessary after polishing and Z7 alone is good enough and never caused any bonding problems.

I mostly use 3M and Meguiar`s polishes and don`t have experience with all these new products, maybe they leave some greasy residue that only Dawn can remove so YMMV.

Post Thanks / Like
    So, is polishes going to take care the swirl marks?

Post Thanks / Like
    luvthong, I`d strongly suggest you edit your "bicameral" post here, where you raise the question about engine detailing. Post that question in a new thread so you get questions specifically on that topic. Also, even before you do that, you may want to click on the "Learn" icon and read that article, and read thru the threads in the Autopia Univ and Detailing forums on the subject of engine-bay detailing. A ton o` good info has already been posted here that may answer your basic questions, then you can come back to us to help you refine the "fine points." :up

P.S. luvthong, you have really sexy legs.

Post Thanks / Like
    Originally posted by luvthong

OK, so I need to polish it and dawn wash it after the polish? Is MV or VM a good one to use? SHould I just use VM? and then dawn wash it.

To remove your marring, *I* would use something quite a bit more aggressive/abrasive than VM. For me, VM did NOT remove any marring, and this was on soft single-stage paint. And it leaves a LOT of stuff on the finish that you Zaino users just have to wash off- it`s just not the right product for the job. I`d get something like 3M PI-III MG (pn 05937) instead (despite the name, it`s a POLISH, not a glaze).

Post Thanks / Like
    Agreed, you HAVE to polish. Now, VM is fine for waxes as it contains fillers, however, you want to REMOVE not FILL the swirls. I`d try the 3M PIII-MG first with a polish pad if the swirls are not bad, or try a yellow pad to cut. If that does not work, it`s time to step up to DACP with a yellow pad. Let it break down to a powder. Wipe off and inspect. If swirls are gone, great! Now go BACK to 3M PIII-MG with the white pad. Work it well into the finish. If you want to further get the finish to a mirror, go down to a very fine polish, Megs Hand Glaze or #3 Machine Glaze or Menzerna-FP. I run those on a black/grey finish pad as I want the polish, not the pad to "burnish" the finish. Wipe it off. Now it should be a mirror! All that`s left is to remove all oils from polish/glaze. Dawn is a good product to remove oils/grease and is alkaline. It will not effect a finish with the only exception of leaving a slight film. For that, right after a Dawn wash, I use Z7, then dry carefully. Mix up your ZFX/Z5 and as it sits, spray the finish with Z6. Spray the applicator pad lightly, then apply ZFX/Z5 thin! It should be hard to see.... that thin. Let dry, wipe off. If you get any streaking, mix up 1/2 cap Z7 and 12oz water in a spray bottle. Spray the effected area and wipe off. Once one coat has cured and wiped off, go back and spray the finish with Z6. Apply your second coat. DO this one more time. Let sit at least 24 hours before any more coats. If it looks fine, switch to ZFX/Z2. Again, Z6 B4 and after each coat.

You`ll be very happy with the results!

See my Lexus SC430 with Zaino on it in my sig!

Regards,

Deanski
    DR SHINE
    Swanky Shine (tm)
    What`s in YOUR garage? 997 Carrera S.

Thread Information