Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Post Thanks / Like
    Anyone has any good tips about what yo use on brake drums to fight rust ? Last year i i brushed em down to remove all rust and then applied BBQ paint which i thought would hold up, but today i realized that only part of it held up, so now im a bit puzzled.

i heard of etching primer, which i hear etch into the metal to prevent rust, yet i dont know how efffective they are, as i`ve never used it.

Any advice would be appreciated.

Best regards to all

Post Thanks / Like
    Only thing I can think of that MAY be of help is Weatherpruf by Kano labs. The stuff is yellow in color but dries clear so probably would be good for something freshly painted.

On my new Audi I put it on along the rim of my rotors ( part furthest away from the pad contacts the rotor) where I noticed they can rust up pretty quickly without something protecting them ( saw plenty of cars on the dealer lot with the rust long the rims of the rotors) So far holding up good and no fires! I brush it on with a small paint brush and also keep mineral spirits on hand for clean up, the stuff does tend to drip a bit. This was part of my new car prep a few days after I got the car.

Weatherpruf can help around things outside the house too.

Other than this, I wouldn`t know of something else sprayable or brushed on that could help.
    Treat it like it`s the only one in the world.

Post Thanks / Like
    Depends. Some like to use a rust convertor primer or a rust converting system like Neutra Rust, 12 hours to cure the primer then 2 coats of barrier and paint color of your choice. Powder coating is another alternative. Others just consider cleaning, using primer (some just skip this), and painting brake drums as part of regular or periodic maintenance. Disc brake rotors, to me, seems harder to keep looking good and rust free. Sometimes, I wish they made stainless steel rotors for my car.

Post Thanks / Like
    I`ve used some stuff called Phix to fix rust. Works great on the applications I`ve tried it on. I think maybe I saw some at Auto Zone recently.
    Dream big and be willing to do the work to get there.

Post Thanks / Like
    First of all, thanks for your reply, and second what do you mean by : 2 coats of barrier......i mean what is barrier in this case ?

Your procedure does sounds effective btw.

thanks and take care :wavey

Post Thanks / Like
    Thanks to all of you for those much needed advice........i appreciate it.

all the best :xyxthumbs

Post Thanks / Like

Post Thanks / Like
    Originally posted by Chip Douglas

First of all, thanks for your reply, and second what do you mean by : 2 coats of barrier......i mean what is barrier in this case ?

Your procedure does sounds effective btw.

thanks and take care :wavey

It`s part of the Neutra Rust system, NR661 is the primer/rust convertor and Neutra rust TL Barrier is a flexible coating that resists salt water and extreme temperature fluctuations. According to the manufactorer, two coats of TL Barrier should have a dry thickness of about 6-7 mils and last approx 5 years. http://www.appliedsurfaces.com/prnrtlba.htm

http://www.neutrarustcaribbean.com/tl_brickcomp.htm

But if you want to reduce your costs, just use a locally available rust convertor product and a few coats of epoxy or high temp paint. No need to go overboard.

Post Thanks / Like
    Sci-Fi, thanks a bunch for your tips and tricks, im quite happy with your reply, and ill do just that

Post Office Box 9 Newbury, OH 44065 AIM:YoSteveDotCom
    Post Thanks / Like
    the rust converter stuff (many different kinds) turns iron oxide into a completely different compound (and it`s black). it works well, then you paint over it.
    Pay Attention Klasse!

2000 Satin Silver Passat GLX

Wash This Way

Post Thanks / Like
    I know you (Chip) aready used BBQ paint and didn`t like it, try going to your local auto parts store and get some hi-temp engine paint and do it with that. Some says that it will last up to 1500deg.

If you don`t like that idea try this Brake Paint.
    `02 Nissan Frontier

CC LB Super Black, Airaid Intake, Magnaflow Exhaust, Hella Supertone Horns.

Post Thanks / Like
    Now that you mention it, droped by CT today and the clerk there told me about brake paint just like you say.........it resist high temp as you say and it says on it that it doesnt flake or crack.......i bought a spray can of the stuff and will try it next week......sounds like a good product.:xyxthumbs

Post Thanks / Like
    I`ve had good success with Eastwood Co`s high temperature, brushable paint. The silver is brilliant and durable. No problems with corrosion on my Integra Type R`s rotor "hats" yet.

Post Thanks / Like
    Neat job Dean, way to go !! :xyxthumbs

Post Thanks / Like
    Several Lightning owners in Houston (myself included) have used the 900 degree PlastiKote spray paint, especially on lug hubs and brake calipers with considerable success. Available at Pep Boys. Clean with brake cleaner first, then a scrub down with Castrol`s Super clean, finally a wash with lacquer thinner.

Did I mention wire wheels for rust ablation are an integral part of the cleaning process? If not, I meant to.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread Information