Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Post Thanks / Like
    Yesterday I detailed a Red F250 farm truck with over 80k miles on it. I was expecting it to be routine, but boy was I wrong. It had lots of light scratches on the surface like you would expect... So i removed them with the Rotary + DACP. What was left can be seen below.
    Attached Images Attached Images

Post Thanks / Like
    Another

Post Thanks / Like
    So I brought out the cutting pad on the rotary with some diamond cut. It removed some of the haze, but below that I found bad water spots. These things were by far the worst water spots I have ever seen. If two passes with Diamond cut and a cutting pad on a rotary doesn`t get rid of them I don`t think much will. The owner said they have really acidic water and those spots have been there for about 6 years.

This picture is on the side of the hood which didn`t have as much of the haze

Post Thanks / Like
    At this point I started trying everything I could think of to remove the haze and spots... another round with the buffer, vinegar, various cleaners and degreesers (i wasn`t sure what that stuff was), clay and some other stuff. At that point I almost gave up hope... when I saw that there were a few kind of clean spots without the haze... I wasn`t sure what to try so I took a hand applicator and used the Diamond Cut over that area.... It left a flawless clean stripe that can be found in the left side of the below picture.

Post Thanks / Like
    At this point I went back trying all the combinations trying to replicate what it was that I did so I could do it on the rest of the truck. It took a long time and I couldn`t find the combination that worked, none of the other areas came out that good.

Then I seemed to find it... I still don`t know why this seems to of worked... but I buffed with the Diamond Cut, then clayed, then Buffed again... that was the only combination that seemed to do the job. The claying between doesn`t make much sense (especially since I clayed the vehicle before I started), but it was necessary. Just doing two trips with the buffer didn`t seem to get the same results. I`m thinking maybe cutting first, then claying, allowed the clay to get deeper and brake something up or something. It makes no sense, but it worked. I was stuned how the paint came out... it was like night and day.

Post Thanks / Like
    So I went over the rest of the hood and the top half of the panels in that manner and it worked out great. I got a lot of expierence with the rotary (the truck was a Heavy Duty and was just gigantic).

Overall I didn`t quite get as much time with it as i`d of liked to spend. The owner (roomates mom) was more than happy but there were a few spots that I didn`t hit perfectly with the buffer that had a little bit of the water spots left, and the sides looked like they could use some more work.

I really want to go back and see if i can get the rest of it cleaned up. This thing was the biggest challenge that I have faced yet. It`s amazing how much you can learn from doing a vehicle like this.

I also have more pics if people are interested... but here is the final product:

Post Thanks / Like
    Wow good work. The pics came out nice too, they show the problems very clearly.

Patrick
    Nice job Jones !

Post Thanks / Like
    Wow, quite a challenge.

Great execution, great results! :up :up
    ~Miguel

Post Thanks / Like
    Wow..very nice indeed...:up
    Only Z Best Detailing-Automotive Concours Detailing Services
    http://ozbdetailing.com
    https://www.facebook.com/ozbautodetailing

Post Thanks / Like
    Beautiful, work, Doctor, both the truck and the writeup. Excellent documentation.

Tom

Post Thanks / Like
    The truck turned out great and more than likely your the only one that sees what you couldn`t get out. Also did you try a wool pad?

Post Thanks / Like
    Great effort, what perseverance... But the most satisfying for you is how it turned out. :xyxthumbs

Post Thanks / Like
    Scrap the DC when it comes to watermarks... Try this combo, trust me on this, when it comes to watermarks, all the cars that comes into my shop for restorative detailing has tons of them that are really deep...

Rotary...

Pad - LC Yellow Pad

Product - Menzerna PO S34 A Powercut

Pressure - Moderate to Heavy

Speed - approx 1000-1200rpm

Around 3 passes will do the trick...

Post Thanks / Like
    theveed-thanks for the heads up.

Dr. Jones-nice work! You showed a lot of patience to figure out the best way to bring that paint back.
    www.scottwax.com

Certified Opti-Coat Pro/Pro 3 installer

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread Information