Post Thanks / Like
    I have a set of all the required zaino products(zfx,z2,z5,z6,z7,and the clay bar). Now i put it on once but did not achieve the results i was looking for. I have have been reading this board for the last week and obviously found out that i was not prepping the paint well enough.

I first washed with dawn, then i started clay barring. when i was clay barring i used z7 in a spray bottle and i would do small sections. As soon as i was done with that section i would rinse off the z7 and dry it.

Once i was done with that i followed the instructions for the zfx with the z5. I now know that i should have put thinner layers. i did the finger test then buffed it off. applied z6 and buffed that off. Then i followed by another layer or z5, z6 ,z2 ,z6.

Now i know i was only suppose to put three layers but i did not know if the z6 counted as a layer. I also bought just 100% cotton cloths to due all the buffing. i dryed the car with the waterblade then anything i missed i used a cotton towel.

I have read a bunch of posts and most of the time dont know which products they are using because of all the abbreviations. please set me straight and let me know exactly what i am doing wrong from what towels to use to dry my car to what i should use after i have applied zaino. i will do anything i dont care how long the process.

With the smearing of the zaino i have been confused what to use to fix this. i have heard to definetly not use z6. i would also like to know how to get rid of water spots. i think i read vinegar but do not know the exact process. Also with the polishing of the paint before clay barring witch product and what does this do exactly. Then when i get the car dirty again is it alright to just wash the car with z7 follow up by z6 and start applying z2, or should i dawn it again?

p.s. please let me know the best way if u guys say stand on ur head for ten minutes i will do it as long as my car looks like some of the pcs i have seen here. Oh sorry for forgetting all the question marks just a habit i guess.

Post Thanks / Like
    oh yeah my car is an 03 silver m3. If that matters at all I have 6000 miles on it so paint is pretty new

Post Thanks / Like
    :welcome racsos. Sounds like you`re committed enough and compulsive enough to fit right in.

When you finished claying, did the finish feel smooth as glass -- not a single bump or grittiness? If not, you should clay more. When done right, claying will make you want to jump up and dance!

Did you read all the different tips and tricks on the Zaino website? (They sprinkle `em around on a couple or 3 different pages, so you really need to hunt and study.) Also, how `bout Nick`s Tips and Tricks in the Autopia Hall of Fame?

Originally posted by racsos I have have been reading this board for the last week and obviously found out that i was not prepping the paint well enough.
    OK. What makes you say that? What about the results are you not happy with? Are there swirls/spiderwebs or what? That info will help the veterans here give you a better diagnosis and tips.

I first washed with dawn, then i started clay barring. when i was clay barring i used z7 in a spray bottle and i would do small sections. As soon as i was done with that section i would rinse off the z7 and dry it.
    Personally, I don`t use the Z7 for claying. It just costs too dang much. I love the Autopia clay and QD, and have good results from both Mothers and Claymagic clay and QDs; those 2 are readily available at Autozone, PepBoys, etc. You can save the precious Z7 for when you get the Z2/Z5 applied.

Once i was done with that i followed the instructions for the zfx with the z5. I now know that i should have put thinner layers.
    If you could actually see the Z on the car, then, yep! you used too much. :p You could almost say applying Zaino is like an act of faith: when done right, you really can`t see it; ya just gotta believe it`s there. :up Also, it can take a long time to be ready to buff off, depending on your humidity. It typically takes at least an hour here.

Then i followed by another layer or z5, z6 ,z2 ,z6.

Now i know i was only suppose to put three layers but i did not know if the z6 counted as a layer.
    Nope, the Z6 doesn`t count as a layer.

I also bought just 100% cotton cloths to due all the buffing.
    Where did you get these "100% cotton cloths." Don`t mean to be skeptical, but ... well, Autopia has taught me to be skeptical of the claim. Good ones (like Fieldcrest) cost a lot of money. There are threads here about how to test whether your "100% cotton" really is. Me, I`ve now moved exclusively to Autopia`s Concours Buffing Towel (I understand DFTowels are equivalent) for Z2 and Z6 buffing; that has solvd the streaking problem for me.

I have read a bunch of posts and most of the time dont know which products they are using because of all the abbreviations.
    Click here for all the secret Autopia handshakes.

With the smearing of the zaino i have been confused what to use to fix this.
    In addition to the potential towel problem, the only other thing that occurs to me is overuse of the Z6. First time I used Zaino, it worked like a charm. Second time was the day before a Concours -- 7 pm on a Friday night -- and it smeared like heck. Got on my cell phone, called my Zaino distributor 1000 miles away, and had a 20 min consult. (I still adore him for that!) His advice was right on the money: I was using too much Z6. Use ONLY a very light spray. As he said to me: "Use it as if you`re spraying liquid gold" -- i.e., be very stingy! If you do that, and you start to get streaks, it`s probably because your towel has gotten loaded up with the Z6; so switch to a fresh towel.

Come to think of it, I think that you could also get streaking if you had any contaminants on your towel -- e..g, if you didn`t double-rinse it, if you used any fabric softener, or if you didn`t wash and rinse thoroughly before using it the first time. Those are just shots-in-the-dark.

i have heard to definetly not use z6.
    WHAT???? If you want Z to work, use Z6 before and after every layer of Z2 or Z5.

Others will have to help with your waterspot and polish questions. I really don`t have enough experience with those topics.

Then when i get the car dirty again is it alright to just wash the car with z7 follow up by z6 and start applying z2, or should i dawn it again?
    No, you don`t need to dawn wash again unless you use a carnauba, polish, glaze, etc. As long as you`re just using Z, you don`t need to Dawn again.

p.s. please let me know the best way if u guys say stand on ur head for ten minutes i will do it as long as my car looks like some of the pcs i have seen here.
    Danger! Danger! You obviously haven`t been at Autopia long. You`re giving these guys a license to go bananas with you! :lol

Post Thanks / Like
    thanks alot for ur help i think i was just using too much of the product. oh yeah i do use z6 before and after. I just wrote that i had heard not to use z6 to remove the smearing. oh and as far as everyone going bananas on me bring it I am always in for a good laugh.

Thread Information