Post Thanks / Like
    I have to tell you guys that I`ve used the MF towels for the first time and I can`t believe how great they are. That little patch of cloth is no gimick and actually works better than I though it should.

Bought the Meguires plasic cleaner and polish to clean the headlight lenses and they included a couple MF`s, so I used it for the first time. And wow, I kept cleaning for two hours. Did the windows with plain water like you`all suggested, and it was perfect. I hate windows, at least before yesterday. I bought 6 more today. This is sooooo much easier, it`s like a Midas touch.

After lurking and read as much as I could from you guys, I bought a PC and will test on an old car tomorrow using Meguires products. It`s a product I know and noone talks bad about them. But I`m looking foward to using some new products, once I get some confidence.

Thanks again for all the great posts and info.

Dave
    99 M3 Not so Brillant Red, but gettin there by filling my cup of knowledge from the wise masters.

Post Thanks / Like
    What pads are you running on the PC?

Which Meguiar`s products? some of them are used on this forum well a lot, ones that come to mind, #7, #26 #34, body shop line (#83 DACP, soemtimes #82 SFP, and the detailer line are often talked about.

The red consumer grade products are not looked upon for being great, low average at best.

Post Thanks / Like
    Oh, I`m shattered. Did`nt start and already I`m off on the wrong foot.

Two white pads for the PC. Going to buy a yellow pad to remove swirls.

Plan on the white pads for the polish and wax.

I have Mirror Glaze #9 or Swirl Remover 2.0.

Deep Crystal Polish.

Gold Classic.

I am open to suggestions, please everyone feel free to comment. The car is a red 91 Celica that my daughter had in college and of course saw water only when it rained. I swore it moved when I got the soap next to it.

Should I wait between applications with these products, that is if I use them?

Thanks,
    99 M3 Not so Brillant Red, but gettin there by filling my cup of knowledge from the wise masters.

Post Thanks / Like
    Welcome to the forums! Don`t be shattered. I was a n00b once too. I admit it I used Turtle Wax paste wax (still have the can in my first use box, lol) but moved to Meguiar`s #7/#26 as my main combo while everyone else used their 3M IHG and Blitz (ahh the old days of Bravenet.)

Car is a 1991 Celica. What condition is it in? (I did a friends 1993 red a little while ago http://www.autopia.org/forums/showth...threadid=26282 )

Which white pads do you have? Lake Country Mfg.?

I just used my PC with a foam cutting pad (yellow Lake Country) with a SMR I`m testing (along the lines of 3M SMR) and found it not to help with minor swirls, it improved upon them (made them lighter) but you can still see them. This is on a 2001 sand colored corolla under 1000 watt halogen lights. The swirls were VERY minor, can`t pcik them up in sunlight, but under these halogens at an angle, you can detect some.

The products you have a good. Meguiar`s #9 SMR is more or less a filler product that rounds out some swirls with the PC, to fully remove swirls with #9, it has to be used with a hi-speed rotary. The Meguiar`s Crystal polish (haven`t used it) but hear its a bit on the oily side.

Gold Class paste or liquid wax? I have my tin in the no use box, and have tried the liquid, makes darker colored car shimmer in a deep pool of liquidiness, but doesn`t last.

So my advise,

1. Wash

2. Clay!

3. Meguiar`s #9 with PC and foam cutting pad (for swirls, if not touched, try DACP with a foam cutting pad, then follow up with #9 in either foam cutting or polishing, have plenty of pads on hand, my kit for my PC has 2 foam cutting, two polishing, and one finishing, my Makita hi-speed has two foam cutting, two polishing, and two finishing.)

4. Protect with GC once a month by hand or PC and frequent washings.

Jason

Post Thanks / Like
    Jason,

Thanks for the great advice that I will heed. Can`t find the abrevs, so I don`t know what DACP is exactly, sorry.

The Celica is in good shape, does have a deep scratch about 6" long and a tear in the front bumper cover. Biggest problem is that the sun roof does not shut completely. 168,000 miles and it still cooks, and get 35-39 MPG, a great little car. The only expense has been a new trany and timing belt. Going to donate it to the Courage Center after I get some experience with the PC.

Thanks again,

Dave

Post Thanks / Like
    http://www.autopia.org/display.php?file=acronyms.htm

Toyotas are nice cars, probably why most of my family either has one now or has had one (Corolla`s and Camry`s are the two my likes, but many have stepped up to a BMW, Range Rover Freelander, or mvoed over to the Honda Element.)

Good luck!

Post Thanks / Like
    Oh, Meguiar`s #83 Dual Action Cleaner/Polish, See Meguiar`s. That makes sense.

So what would be a longer lasting finishing wax or series of products for a novice as myself?

Post Thanks / Like
    Zaino provides the longest lasting protection IMHO. Klasse is my second choice.

Zaino has its set of instructions. Surface must be free and clean of any contamination. It would go wash with car wash, clay, polish, dawn wash, then Zaino.

Klasse, you can skip the dawn wash and go from polish to Klasse AIO to Klasse SG.

Wax and polymers that were made to look like wax with oils and solvents (Blackfire, Platinum, Poorboy`s EX) just don`t last as long as polymers like Klasse or Zaino.

I recommend Klasse or Zaino, can`t go wrong with either.

I am about to go and buff off some Zaino I had sitting on the car in the garage since almost 2 days ago (August 7 (about 9AM), now its 1:11 AM August 9.)

Thread Information