Post Thanks / Like
    Hi guys, I`m wondering if you can reccomend from start to finish a good set of products for taking car of my 2002 VW GTI. She`s silver if that makes any diff.

Any products for the following would be great!

Body- Cleaning: Sponges/ brands of cleaners/

Body- Protecting: applicators/polish/wax

Glass- Need to get rid of what looks like some kinda residue (it`s visable at night just after the wipers clear the window...goes away a sec or 2 after each swipe)

Tire- Cleaing and Dressing

Types of towels to dry, polish etc. Microfiber, terry?

I know autopia sells the kits, would one of them be worth getting?

Thanks guys,

m.

Post Thanks / Like
    Autopia guide to detailing is a great place to get started.http://www.autopia.org/display.php?file=Books.htm

The search function can help you find the answer to most of your question.

We respect the question more when someone has spent the time to do their homework.

goodluck

Post Thanks / Like
    I want to download that book, but unfortunately I don`t have a pc for the exe file.

I understand about the search function, my problem is that there are so many terms, abbreviations, and products that I`m completely unfamiliar with that I really don`t know where to start.

I tried the search function and really came up with so many responses that I didn`t know where to begin.

I was hoping someone could just give me a brief intro which I could use as a starting point, to then research on my own...

Thanks,

m.

Post Thanks / Like

Post Thanks / Like
    A simple process is:

1. wash with dawn

2.clay with mother`s

3. Klasse AIO

4. Klasse SG

read jimwh instructions for application

Wheel cleaner A2Z

tire dressing too many choices

If you have swirls then have a pro remove the swirls and start from there.

I do not recommend vendors.

good luck

Post Thanks / Like
    Originally posted by TA373

I want to download that book, but unfortunately I don`t have a pc for the exe file.
    Just click on the "Learn" icon at the top of the screen, and that will take you to all the basic articles. Then some folks will read thru relevant articles in the Hall of Fame forum and read thru the Autopia Univ forum.

Post Thanks / Like
    Just looking for a good set of starter products.

I read the articles, the birdbombs, the acid vs. base when choosing cleaners...

I`m just looking for someone to fill me in a little on what their aresenal might include...and what they might reccomend for someone just starting to get up the nerve to order stuff special as opposed to settling for what`s at the local auto store.

On a side note, I did find a local place that stocks tons of 3m products so I`ll have easy access to that...

m.

Post Thanks / Like
    Here is a summary of the product lists I`ve posted in detailing forums I moderate on other boards:

Hard supplies

Wet/Dry vac-1.5hp and up is sufficient

Assortment of vacuum nozzles-including a thin crevice tool

Bucket

Spray nozzle

Foam or Terry Cloth covered wash pads

Wheel brush, body & bumper brush, thin brush for tight areas, interior brush (soft bristles)

Terry cloth towels (bath towels)

Microfiber towels

Foam hand wax applicators

California exterior and interior car dusters

Q-tips (for cleaning vents)

Waxes

Waxes are primarily to seal and protect the paint. They will add some shine, but not as much as a polish will. I recommend the following based on actual use:

Meguairs High Tech Yellow wax #26, Meguiars Polymer Sealant #20, 3Ms Perfect it Show Car Wax (paste only), Mother`s Carnuba Wax, Wax Shop`s Super Glaze (desspite the name, it is a wax)., S100 Paste Wax, Pinnacle`s Souveran or Paste Glaz and Clearkote`s Carnuba Moose Wax. Zymol Cleaner Wax is a good wax, but it is a pain to use since it tends to strak and leaves blue residue in the cracks and emblems. The other waxes listed won`t.

Synthetic Waxes

Klasse and Zainos are the best known, but I got a bottle of Car Polish`s Final Polish which is a polymer wax with a very light polish in it. Leaves the paint super slick and protected for 6 months. You can top it with a good carnuba for an even deeper shine. I`ve also had good results with Winner`s Choice Polymer Finishing Creme (which is non abrasive).

Polishes and Glazes

Polishes and glazes are used to add oils to the paint for more shine and smooth the surface for more reflection. I use Meguiars Pro Body Shop line, but if there is not a Meguairs distributer in your area, you will have to order them from http://www.meguiars.com I have used and recommend the following:

Meguairs Hand Polish (Pro Body Shop) and Meguairs Show Car Glaze or Machine Glaze (Mirror Glaze line), Wax Shops`s Safe Cut and 3Ms Imperial Hand Glaze. None of these will dry white or haze the rubber or plastic. All will add shine and clarity to the paint surface, but will not remove serious paint defects-that is not their purpose.

Cleaners/Compounds and Swirl Removers

Cleaners and compounds are made to remove serious paint defects, like oxidation, scratches, etc, and swirl removers are used to smooth the surface after using a cleaner/compound and to remove any swirl or scratch marks made by the cleaner/compounds. Always start with the lightest cleaner or compound, and use a stronger one only when necessary. Try any of the following:

Meguairs Dual Action cleaner/polish and Diamond Cut cleaner (Pro Body Shop), Meguiars Fine, Medium or Heavy Cut cleaners (Mirror Glaze line), or any of 3Ms or Wax Shops cleaners and compounds.

For swirl removers, there is Meguairs Swirl Free Polish (PBS) and Swirl Remover (MGL) or 3Ms swirl remover.

Spray Detailers

These are used to clean your car when it is only dusty (after dusting with your car duster), or after washing or waxing to make sure no residue is left on the paint. Meguiars Final Inspection, Quick Detailer, Clearkote`s Quikshine, Winner`s Choice Express Detail or Wax Shops Slick Stuff all work very well.

Glass Cleaners

Only one recommendation: Eagle`s 20/20 Glass cleaner. Works great, is cheap, and repels water almost as well as Rain X.

Interior Cleaners

Woolite-yes, the same Woolite used to gently wash sweaters and stuff like that. Mix it in a spray bottle at 6 parts water and 1 part Woolite. Spray liberally on the surface, use a small plastic brush, scrub the surface and dry with a cloth towel. It works great on all fabrics, carpets, vinyl and yes, leather-in fact, it will leave the leather very soft after using.

Vinyl, Rubber and Leather dressings

Vinyl and Rubber can use the same products; Meguairs Rubber and Vinyl cleaner and conditioner, Meguairs W-Dressing (PBS), Armor All-I would discourage using the real shiny and greasy stuff on the interior-it attracts dust and makes the sun reflect the dash into the windshield while driving towards the sun.

For leather, use a dedicated leather conditioner, like Meguairs Gold Class for Leather, Tanners Preserves, Lexol or Eagles leather conditioner.

Clay Bars

Detailing clay is used to remove imbedded dirt, grime, overspray, etc from the paint without the use of abrasives. If after washing and waxing, you run your hand over the paint and it has a gritty feel, you need to use a clay bar. Meguiars, Mothers and Clay Magic all make good systems, and they come with everything you need except a towel to dry the paint after claying. Just follow the package directions and wax after finishing. Your paint will be super slick and smooth like glass.

Miscellaneous

When using Meguiars products, only use the Mirror Glaze or Pro Body Shop lines, not the burgandy bottle stuff like the deep crystal system or Cleaner wax. They are for the casual user, not someone who wants the ultimate in shine.

You do not have to glob on a bunch of wax or polish-a blob the size of a quarter should be enough to cover your entire hood-a 16 oz bottle of wax is enough to wax your car at least 30 times-use just enough to lightly cover the surface of the paint.

When using a polish or glaze, rub into the paint until it looks almost clear.

Do not waste your money on any wax that claims to have Teflon® in it. Unless you are able to apply the wax at 600+ degrees, the telfon is not a viable ingredient-and this is straight from Dupont.
    www.scottwax.com

Certified Opti-Coat Pro/Pro 3 installer

Post Thanks / Like
    :xyxthumbs :bounce

That was awesome. Thank you!

m.

Thread Information