Post Thanks / Like
    First time I`ve posted in ages, but I`m in need of some advise. I bought myself a 3-pk of red MF towels to dry my pearl white car. I never did throw the towels in the washing machine to give them a good cleaning; just removed from package and cut off the tags. Washed the car, and then dried using said MF towels. The things must have been overdyed, or there was leftover residue on the towels, but they managed to turn the driver`s side of my car a very faint pink tone. :shocked In the sunlight, you have a difficult time seeing the pinkish tint, but in a shaded environment it is much more noticeable. Of course, I didn`t even notice this until much later in the day, well after the car had been dried and driven to work and back.

I tried using QD to remove the tint, but no luck. How can I get rid of this? A re-wash with dawn? A heavy duty claying? I love the gleam my car gives off and don`t want its looks ruined by my bonehead move!!!

Any helpful hints would be appreciated. And yes I know - never ever buy a red towel again. From now on, it`s white, or nothing at all.
    My `96 V8 Thunderbird

"Everybody knows the Bird is the Word"

Post Thanks / Like
    Ackkk, that`s awefull!!! Sorry to hear about that one.

What do you have on your car right now in terms of protection? Wax, sealant, etc? There`s a good chance that only the protective layer has been stained. Depending on what`s on there, I`d say wash with dawn and then polish the affected panels with AIO or some other slightly abrasive or chemical cleaner. Try a test on a small area and see if it works

Let us know how it turns out.

Michael

Post Thanks / Like
    I do have wax & sealant on the car, and I didn`t dawn the car. I used Meguir`s car wash (the one that doesn`t harm/strip the wax). So I THINK that the discoloring is only on the top layer. But I`m not positive.
    My `96 V8 Thunderbird

Post Thanks / Like
    The dye should wash right out, if not try dawn. It is most likely only on the surface.

I`ve never seen red dyed microfiber towels, what brand are they?

This should be a lesson to all... first of all ALWAYS wash any towels before their first use. Secondly, if at all possible stay away from dyed towels, especially red. Red is a very tough color to make color fast, you can wash it five times and it will always bleed dye.

Post Thanks / Like
    Thanks for the advise, Leo. I clicked your link and saw your car. Beauty ride!! Do you ever roam around the TCCOA site?
    My `96 V8 Thunderbird

Thread Information