Post Thanks / Like
    I have a few scratches and blemishes on the rear lights of my 02 t/a, i guess from crappy towels and carelessness when i am not with it. I went to the plastic care section of properautocare.com to look at products and alot are for plastic films on headlights or plexiglass windows, now i was wondering what i could use (by hand) to remove lines, swirls and a few blemishes. I have a few pictures below but they aren`t great, hard to see in my dark garage and there is crap all over them because of the rain, but any advice will help. I am not opposed to using a machine, i don`t have one, but i can get one. I would rather do it by hand though because there is a painted on bird on the back rear filler panel that a machine would surely damage. Thanks

pic1

pic2

Post Thanks / Like
    Try Plexus. Spray on, wipe off. You can find it at most any motorcycle shop.

It`s not a miracle worker, but it`s a good product to start with before trying something else with a machine.
    `04 Steel Gray Metallic Mazda 6s V6 5door, `97 Honda Accord SE

Post Thanks / Like
    I used the wetsanding method on a set of extremely yellowed headlights on our van.

1. Tape off around lights

2. Wetsand the lights

3. Plexus buffed with a wheel in a drill.

Sad that I did not have Before & After Photos.

Results were wonderful.

Do a search here.

Post Thanks / Like
    I have used Simichrome polish(MC Shop) on tail lights and dash lenses. I know it`s a metal polish, but it worked on the plastic. The last instrument cluster lens job that I did, I used Meguiar`s # 17 Clear plastic cleaner. It made the lens look new. I did the work by hand. I rubbed perpendicular(across) to the scratch, instead of with the scratch. Use a non scratching cloth(MicroFiber) or your finger, to work out the scratch, then a final wipe with a MF. It worked for me...

Post Thanks / Like
    As you can see i have scratches aswell as some marks that look like they could have been made if something hit the lenses say at a garage or bodyshop, someone bumped a tool or something into it creating a blemish, will that meguiars plastic thingy work with that too? Thanks.

Post Thanks / Like
    Those scratches don`t look very bad at all, and there are several plastic polishes out there that can help them (try a search). I recommend the Novus products. It worked for me: http://www.autopia.org/forums/showth...ighlight=novus

Post Thanks / Like
    4DSC where in vancouver did you purchase the Novus #1 and #2 and for how much? (On your link there you said you got it at some plastic shot ) Can you also use this product on the plastic covering the speed gauges?

Side note...what online sites do most of you recommend buying detailing products from? (i`m in canada if that makes any difference..TIA).

Post Thanks / Like
    One of the best i`ve seen thus far is properautocare.com

Post Thanks / Like
    qwik, The Meguiar.s # 17 Clear Plastic Cleaner is what I used to "Tune Up" the tail light lenses on my Eldorado. They look new now. The other day, I was doing my wife`s Riviera with Meguiar`s # 20 Poly/Sealant, and I did the tail light lenses with it. They look sharp. Before plastic polishes came out, on the market, I would use a mild cleaner/wax product to remove scratches from plastics. It`s not really rocket science, to remove scratches on most things. If you polish out the scratch, by going across it, then going across in the other direction(once the scratch is gone), the surface will become flatter (Straighter) and flatter. Deep scratches-heavy pressure and/or an agggressive compound. As the scratches diminish, vary the pressure(of application)and the compound, till you get a scratch-free surface. You can do it!

Post Thanks / Like
    Originally posted by MikesJo

4DSC where in vancouver did you purchase the Novus #1 and #2 and for how much? (On your link there you said you got it at some plastic shot ) Can you also use this product on the plastic covering the speed gauges?

Side note...what online sites do most of you recommend buying detailing products from? (i`m in canada if that makes any difference..TIA).
    I purchased mine at Industrial Plastics and Paints in Richmond. I can`t remember what I paid for Novus #2, but I think it was $8-9. I haven`t used it on any instrument covers yet, but it should be safe.

I hate mail ordering stuff :p but the Autopia store worked for me and ships USPS too. I think CMA does too, but I`m not 100% sure of that one.

Post Thanks / Like
    I`ve used Novus #2 & #3 on a lot of plastic lenses. I`ve found #2 is very adequate for most scratches, and have used it on instrument clusters with amazing results. Also use it on my Maxima`s headlights to remove scratches/yellow hazing, and on tail and corner lights for scratches. Best plastic polish I`ve used (although I haven`t used Plexus, and have heard good about it). Novus #3 is intended for deep scratches, and works extremely well for them. But you`ll need to follow with #2. From a Novus bottle, you can call 1(800)548-6872 for the nearest distributor. I paid about $5.00/bottle at a local plastics shop in Louisiana.

If the scratches aren`t too bad, and you`re in a pinch, you can use a SMR like Megs #9. Works well for light scratches/swirls on plastics.

Dave

Post Thanks / Like
    I just tried Novus #2 and #1 and the tail lights of my car look newer and not as faded now :up. Also used both on the instrument cluster and it looks great

Post Thanks / Like
    Originally posted by MikesJo

I just tried Novus #2 and #1 and the tail lights of my car look newer and not as faded now :up. Also used both on the instrument cluster and it looks great
    Glad it worked for you. I know on my car it made a huge difference going from 10 year old hazed up taillights (covering the whole trunk!) to clear taillights again.

Post Thanks / Like
    My car`s 12 years old but i guess the condition of the tails were pretty good before i did the polish .

Thread Information