Post Thanks / Like
    I`ve read hundreds of posts and done multiple searches on "clay"....

There seems to be a strong difference of opinion on this matter.

I recently put 2 coats of Zaino (Z2) on a customer`s car. A week later he called me stating that some overspray had gotten on his car from some nearby painting.

I clayed his entire car and, I would swear that the Zaino was still entact!

Still super shiney and (obviously) smooth.

So...

Does the clay just lift the contaminants out of the paint pores or does it remove the product from the paint?
    Bill Luster

`00 Trans Am / `82 Vette

Click here for:Bill`s Pictures

Post Thanks / Like
    It won`t totally remove the product, but it will remove a portion of it.
    Taking my signature to it`s MAXIMUM POTENTIAL

Post Thanks / Like
    Why not go directly to The Source and ask?
    There are only three things you need to know about me. Gloss, Gloss, GLOSS!!

Post Thanks / Like
    This doesn`t deal with Zaino specifically, but check this thread out: http://www.autopia.org/forums/showth...threadid=23029

Accumulator has interesting views on claying and its effect (or lack of) on protection coats, and I`ve also lightly clayed once and found it didn`t do a whole lot to the protection.

Asking Sal might be interesting too... :up

Post Thanks / Like
    I`ll be curious to see if any definitive answer comes. It seems to me that claying would remove very little if any of the wax or sealant. Clay removes contaminates with its stickiness, not with chemical or abrasive means. You glide the clay over the surface and its sticky surface picks up the "stuff" that has accumulated on the surface.

The clay does not melt the stuff through chemical means that would also destroy the wax or sealant and it does not rub the stuff off like sandpaper or abrasive compounds so it seems like it shouldn`t bother the wax or sealant very much at all....maybe no more than a light washing, because of the wear from rubbing/gliding.

All this being true (?) common sense seems to dictate that clay would not remove wax or sealant.....but what the heck do I know? Nuttin that`s what! I don`t "KNOW" anything about it.....I`m just guessing and it would be fun to get a definitive, scientific answer rather than rely on common sense guessing.

Maybe the guy from Meguiars, who seems to have scientific answers or means to do a real test, will pick up on this thread. Sorry "guy from Meguiars"...I can`t think of your name...they say the memory is the first thing to go you know.
    Dream big and be willing to do the work to get there.

Post Thanks / Like
    I don`t think it strips it....remember your first time Zainoing....you had to strip the paint with Dawn....a semi-harsh dish washing detergent. I would reccomend putting another coat on after claying.....atleast thats what I would do!
    2003 SVT Cobra Convertible (White/Tan)

Post Thanks / Like
    I`m another one in the "I`m not sure but here`s my opinion" camp. I rarely clay my entire car at once. Instead I`ll do the roof one time or the hood another time. I always put on another coat of zaino then wax afterwards just in case it did strip the coating off. Better to be safe then sorry IMHO.
    2005 Acura TL 6-speed w/nav

Post Thanks / Like
    I spoke to Ira at the LA Zaino and he said about 1/2 coat of z will be removed...

Post Thanks / Like
    Originally posted by JPS911

I spoke to Ira at the LA Zaino and he said about 1/2 coat of z will be removed...

Thanks JPS...

I`m glad to know this.

Actually, as easy as it is to apply and take off Zaino, I usually apply a quick coat after each claying anyway.

Just knowing how clay works, I never believed that clay would take your finish down to the naked clearcoat.
    Bill Luster

`00 Trans Am / `82 Vette

Click here for:Bill`s Pictures

Thread Information