Post Thanks / Like
    Can someone please tell me what the differences and uses of terry, foam and wool bonnets are and what gives the best results.

Thanks again ..this newbie loves this site!

Post Thanks / Like
    yup, SEARCH! Or just look around the forum with a little more effort. 4DSC posted a porter cable thread a while back.

Post Thanks / Like

Post Thanks / Like
    said "Random Orbital". Rookie mistake.

The searches dont always give you exactly what you want especially when your supposed to be working!!

Post Thanks / Like
    I made a point of remembering about this thread http://www.autopia.org/forums/showth...hlight=bonnets

I re-found it by doing a search for "bonnets" in the last 6 months. There`s little talk about bonnets for non-PC machines unfortunately. You just have to try looking. Maybe try "bonnets terry", "bonnets foam", etc. Good luck.

Post Thanks / Like
    I have a 10 inch ryobi orbital buffer and have used all three types of pads, and if you are looking for which type to use with what, use terry or foam to apply waxes, etc. and terry to remove . The wool are about useless and they can scratch. I get the terry bonnets real cheap at wal mart. Hope this helps,

Heff

Post Thanks / Like
    To be honest, most terry bonnets are of low quality and can lead to swirls or marks on the finish. They are not made in USA and imported using low-grade fabric. Remember it`s for a polsiher not your skin.

Bonnets pick-up the polish or wax and once caught in the nap, do tend to mark the finish. They get dry too quickly, nap lays down and starts to scratch the finish. Once they lay down, the residue from polish or wax tend to have a burning effect or "buffer burn" in terms.

My advice would be to use only foam pads for polishing and remove via hand with a high quality MF towel or high quality terry towel.

If you really want to use a polsiher, stay with one that is designed strickly for it, like the Porter-Cable models and pads. You have more selection in pads with these, more control and much better results without risk. Yes they make both terry bonnets and MF bonnets for the PC, but I would never use one. Hand removal has been the best way of caring for the finish.

Keep the Ryobi for lesser things and step up to a PC for best results!

Regards,

Deanski
    DR SHINE
    Swanky Shine (tm)
    What`s in YOUR garage? 997 Carrera S.

Thread Information