Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Post Thanks / Like
    Quick question:

When I pick up my brand new car (which is black, btw), I don`t want the dealer to prep it..... I want the exterior paint untouched. The cars are delivered with white plastic across the hood, roof and trunk.

Should I be so anal about the dealer not prepping it? If so, any tips on making sure that they don`t touch it?

I only ask because I`ve seen brand new cars leave the dealership with swirls/spider web scratches.

Post Thanks / Like
    Here`s what you say:

"I want the vehicle delivered to me unprepped, you can remove the plastic etc and do the pre-delivery inspection, but DO NOT DETAIL IT. I understand that you are directed to detail it by the manufacturer, and my CSI questionaire will state that it was detailed to my satisfaction"

Car dealerships are so resistant to allowing a car off the lot undetailed because if the customer isn`t satisfied, it can come back to haunt them in the form of the CSI survey. The secret to making them not touch it, is to tell them you understand this and you`ll state that the car was spotlessly clean.

Post Thanks / Like
    Yep! This thread comes up regularly. Do a search on "new + car" and you`ll find some helpful tips ... and some sad horror stories.

Post Thanks / Like
    I would let them remove any protective films or coatings and wash it only, so you can do a complete finish inspection prior to taking delivery.

First we only buy cars from a dealer which has a policy of disclosing ANY post production/transit or lot repairs and usually eliminate ALL vehicles which have had any damage. I say usually because on my wifes car we were told that a dent doctor type company removed a shallow hood depression on her car; there was no evidence of any irregularity in the area worked on. We make it very clear that, there will be no dealer indentification on the vehicle, and that the deal is contingent on my pre-delivery inspection.

Have never, ever had a problem, and our cars are always parked very far away from all others.

Post Thanks / Like
    I prepped my new car myself a few months back. dealer was very cooperative, even let me put the new car inspection sticker in the window. My car is black also and it is a great joy to have a swirl free, (temporarily) absolutely perfect finish. My car was washed only and when I got it home I washed it and cleaned and sealed the paint. It was such a pleasure! Hope to be able to do it again many times over. Interestingly, I never received my survey; just something from JD Powers which had nothing to do with my dealer.

Best of luck with prepping your new car.
    Treat it like it`s the only one in the world.

Post Thanks / Like
    Originally posted by Hitman

Should I be so anal about the dealer not prepping it?
    Yes. Absolutely. Unequivocalbly. Welcome to Autopia - it sounds like you have the right attitude! :xyxthumbs

Great post by GoodnClean. :up

Post Thanks / Like
    So guess what happened? I went to pick up my car, and they did not detail it as promised. But they did drill two holes in the front bumper for the plate bracket, which I specifically told them NOT to do!!!

Sales guy said that the tech did a normal pre-delivery inspection and that he didn`t know that I didn`t want holes in my bumper.....whatever...idiots.

But then came the kicker- the back of the car had a whitish looking mark on the back bumper. It looked to me like the type of mark that happens when the plastic is bent. In other words, I think they had the back of my car pressed against the front of another on their lot. I asked if they could fix it, and they said, "but I thought you didn`t want it cleaned up?"

Uhggg. No, I didn`t want it cleaned, but I didn`t want it damaged either. After letting their detail guys attempt to fix it, and a 30 minute discussion with the sales manager, I walked out without a new car. I refused to take delivery of the car.

Now here`s where I need some opinions---

I originally was buying a black car, which I ordered more than 3 months ago. After this mess was all over with, the sales manager offered to give me a new one coming in in 2 weeks which is identicle in every way, except that it`s silver.

Well, I debated long and hard about choosing between silver and black in the first place, so getting the silver car wouldn`t really bother me. Then again, my last 3 cars were all silver. I love the "hi-tech" look of a silver car, and the way the car always appears clean, not to mention that silver tends to hide imperfections like swirls etc... But I also realize that you can`t beat black for the awesome reflections, depth etc...

I`m far from a professional detailer, and I promised myself years ago that I wouldn`t buy another black car after owning one, but I`m torn.

What exactly does it take to keep a black car in top shape? I know all about chenille wash mitts and microfiber towels and stuff, but I just want to get an opinion on what I`m really getting myself into here... If it`s not TOO bad, then I`ll just wait for another black one. Otherwise, I`m gonna go with the silver.

Post Thanks / Like
    Hitman,

I am sooooooooooooooooo sorry to hear about this disaster!

What I feared may have happened with my new car happened to you.

You are absolutely right to refuse delivery of the car. I would put this dealer on the black list!

What an incredibly frustrating and time consuming ordeal!

I probably would`ve vomitted. ( But that`s just overboardly obessive me)

You really want to continue to bother with this dealer? I know you`ll have to wait for a long time all over again, but I would`ve lost all faith in them.

In short, all i can say is if you do not want to do some kind of detailing on a black car *everyday* to keep it looking its best and minimize siwrls, micro scratches, etc, I would recommend the silver.

I really hope all does work out well for you in the end. Please keep us posted.

Best of luck,

Bill

Post Thanks / Like
    What a crappy experience. Sorry to hear that. IMHO, if you are looking to find out which is easier to keep in top shape, I have one word - SILVER!!!
    Seth

Post Thanks / Like
    Hitman- OMG, so sorry to hear about this!! I can only tell you what *I`D* do. DON`T TAKE THE BLACK CAR!!! I`d turn it down over the front plate holes alone. Ohio "requires" them. I say "no sale if you do it" and I stick to it. No holes in my cars unless they come that way, on all of them, from the factory. And that white mark, that`s DAMAGE. I`d also refuse the car over that. You`re probably talking paint work to fix it. As Bill D. suggested, any way to just work with a different dealer? Man, buying a new car is supposed to be FUN!

On silver vs. black, I`ve owned a LOT of black cars. Always said "I`ll always own black" etc. Now almost all of my cars are silver and I LOVE it. Honestly, you probably won`t be able to keep a black daily driver nearly as nice as a silver one no matter WHAT you do. With black, a lot of capable detailers just have to resign themselves to a level of imperfection that they really don`t like (I know, a lot of Autopians are exceptions to this...but still). If you haven`t lived with a black car for a year or so, you really can`t imagine the difference (and that`s NOT a slam!). It`ll eat your life.

Post Thanks / Like
    I am sorry to hear your horror story. What car manufacturer was it? You did the right thing and refused delivery. I am waiting for my car to arrive in the states. It is currently in route. I am also worried about what the dealership will do to the car. I think you should go with silver. My last to cars have been silver and they are easy to maintain. This time I changed and ordered silver grey. I hope I made a good change in color!

Post Thanks / Like
    Wait a minute; don`t work with the dealer because of a kid in the lot porter division, or the truck driver, or maybe someone in the port or at the rail head damaging the bumper?

The guy was right to not take delivery, but the dealer is trying to make him satisfied.

Every now and then we have a customer ask to not have a car detailed. We don`t detail it. It`s pretty simple, like GoodnClean says. Most of us are car guys, if not Autopians, and we understand. But that survey`s pretty important to the sales people. Bonuses and mfr incentives are tied to it.

Tom

Post Thanks / Like
    I totally agree with Accumulator on the black car issues. I still have my 93 black Maxima and for the sake of my mental health I`ve learned to live with some imperfections I can`t remove on my own. Still looks better than 99.9% of the cars out there.

Detailing is supposed to be a fun hobby for me so I know I`ll eventually sigh when the new Audi gets a few ( hopefully less) imperfections.

I view having a black car as a great way to experiment with different polishes, waxes and sealant in addition to improving my skills to see what "formula" ultimately works best.

No matter the color, definitely have fun and please continue to keep us posted.

Regards,

Bill

Post Thanks / Like
    Thanks for all the sympathetic responses.

I admit that I was angry over the holes drilled into the bumper, but I can certainly understand how it "slipped" thru and got done anyway...

And as for the damage to the rear bumper, yeah, I know it`s gonna require painting... that`s why I refused the car.

But the dealer is trying to do the right thing, so I`m willing to still work with them. I dunno, I might just take the silver car coming in the next couple of weeks.

BTW, the dealer is my local Infiniti dealer.

The car is a G35 coupe, just like this one:

Now, I might end up with one that looks more like this:

Hopefully, those pics will work. I don`t know if you can attach images here....

Damn, those are sexy cars

Post Thanks / Like
    Hitman, silver or black on the infiniti is awesome. Plus they both detail beautifully!

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread Information