Post Thanks / Like
    Its pretty easy to analyze paint in a bright natural lighted conditions, but what are some good methods for observing and analyzing the paint for swirls, oxidation, etc in artifical light.

I live in Houston and the problem is its always sunny and 90+ degrees. . . . ok, ok. . . 100+ degrees. Well I try getting starting early in the morning, but often times the sun is up by the time I am polishing or sealing, so I move to the garage. Problem is I do all my detailing in the garage then I back the car out to observe the car in natural light, and I see that their are areas that could have been worked on a little more.

Is there a artifical light source that is better for observing swirls and paint defects? Any ideas?
    Bryan Pendleton

Post Thanks / Like
    Its called 500 twin halogens (2 lights on a yellow stand) available from Lowes or Home Depot for about $25. This will show every speck of dirt on your paint.

When you fill up on gas at nite under fluorescent always take a look at your car. It also shows everything.

But natural noon day sun is best.

Post Thanks / Like
    This is one of those "opinions vary" issues. I myself can hardly see ANY flaws under fluorescent light. Incandescent is MUCH better for me. Had a bunch of them installed in my garage just for inspecting my detailing work. Halogens work very well too, but those are more "auxiliary lighting" as opposed to something you`d have built into your ceiling. And if I point the halogens at the car in too direct a manner, I don`t see as much, just too intense and bright, especially if the car is very reflective.

I see MORE flaws when I turn out all the other lights, shine some incandescent/halogen light on the car and walk around inspecting it from various angles. I`ll often see swirls as radiating outward from the reflection of the light bulb in the car`s finish. There will be SOME combination of light position and viewing angle where EVERYTHING just jumps out at you. You might have to sorta work at it to find just the right viewing angle.

Remember to focus your eyes on the PAINT, not the stuff being reflected in it.

Thread Information