Post Thanks / Like
    My detailing plan looks like this, any feedback would be appreciated.

I bought David`s Perfect Shine kit which I`ll use as described on my 2001 dark blue sebring. In the plan below I add claying and rubbing compound before that plan even kicks in...

My `99 125k Hunter Green Suburban is another story. That truck has gotten waxed maybe 3 times since 99. Washed about once every other month. Usually in an automatic (gasp) car wash. So there`s some work to be done, I`m sure both swirls and scratches from daily life but also some oxidation as well.

`99 Suburban Detail Plan:

Wash with Dawn twice.

Perfect-it III rubbing compound with a 3M white foam compounding pad. If that`s not enough I`ll try the white wool compounding pad.

Still not enough cut? I`ll use Perfect-it III extra cut rubbing compound an do the same pad order as above.

Clay spots as necessary, not the whole damn 1000 square feet of body that monster has. (every one ok with that?)

Now David`s process begins. If my earlier steps conflict, or double up something here, let me know so I can adjust:

P21S Multi-finish Surface Restorer. This is in a small tube so I guess this goes on by hand? On the whole vehicle? If I did a good job with the rubbing compound(s) earlier why would this be necessary at all?

Klasse All-in-one (AIO) applied with a grey polishing foam pad and the residue buffed out by hand with a MF towel.

P21S Carnauba Wax applied by hand(?) and removed by hand.

That`s it. What changes are necessary?

Craig, the newbie.

Post Thanks / Like
    `99 Suburban Detail Plan:

Wash with Dawn twice.

- Sounds like a plan, but how about washing once but really throughly? Or washing with dawn to remove the tough stuff, then washing with a regular car shampoo for the left over stuff and remove some of the haze dawn MIGHT cause.

Perfect-it III rubbing compound with a 3M white foam compounding pad. If that`s not enough I`ll try the white wool compounding pad.

Still not enough cut? I`ll use Perfect-it III extra cut rubbing compound an do the same pad order as above.

- Be patient, work in the rubbing compound. the yellow cutting pad the the PI III RC may be enough. If not step it up to lambswool polishing and Extra cut.

Clay spots as necessary, not the whole damn 1000 square feet of body that monster has. (every one ok with that?)

- I would clay first. Then 3M PI III compound

Now David`s process begins. If my earlier steps conflict, or double up something here, let me know so I can adjust:

P21S Multi-finish Surface Restorer. This is in a small tube so I guess this goes on by hand? On the whole vehicle? If I did a good job with the rubbing compound(s) earlier why would this be necessary at all?

- This was meant for spot treatments on a scratch not a whole car. It would get kinda expensive right? For a whole car at least, let alone a SUV.

Klasse All-in-one (AIO) applied with a grey polishing foam pad and the residue buffed out by hand with a MF towel.

- I think you would need a intermediate step between the RC and AIO, something like 3M PI III Machine Glaze. If you feel like loving the finish. Klasse AIO by finishing pad and remove, then give the finish a hand rub down with AIO and remove by hand.

- I recommend Klasse SG after AIO. really gives the car a nice shine. a few coats of Klasse Sg with proper curing and you have a good base for P21S, heck you might even like the finish by itself.

P21S Carnauba Wax applied by hand(?) and removed by hand.

- Carnauba paste by hand and foam applicator pad.s Easy on and easy off. Do one panel at a time (half the hood, a door panel.)

HTH,

Jason

Post Thanks / Like
    Ah, great feedback Jason, thanks!

I forgot that the shop sent me home with some 3M Perfect-it III machine glaze. So I have what you`re calling for before the AIO.

Hmm.. I don`t have the Klasse SG though. Sealant... the only thing I have handy is a poly sealant called Wizards Shine Master. Recommended by the shop because all the body shops in st. louis "love it". Have been told by one guy on here it`s just a bunch of filler material, so I doubt that would be a good idea to put that on top of the AIO and before the wax?

I wonder what good old Autozone will have tomorrow on their shelves. I`m not too impressed with their selection of detailers supplies. However, there is a guy pretty close to here that will at least have a good selection of Meguiars. Do they make a sealant close to the SG?

Thanks again for the help,

Craig

Better detailing through chemistry

z

Post Thanks / Like
    Your welcome.

I find that claying is most needed on horizontal surface. the vertical surface you can get by probably, but I would clay anyway, just to be sure.

Wizards shine master is a cleaner wax type product if my memory serves me right.

forget about finding Klasse SG in Autozone, #26 can be found there, along with #7, maybe #9, but thats about it, and some good Mother`s products. Meguiar`s, hmm they have a #20 polymer sealant, but has light cleaners in it to help bonding.

www.properautocare.com

www.topoftheline.com

www.tacscar.com

All the above sell Klasse SG. I think topoftheline.com has a great selection of stuff. I love their cheap prices on PC pads and the foam applicator pads, .50 a pop.

wow, how did a shop set you up with close to the entire 3M PI II line? (minus the finishing glaze and Machine Glaze Trizact) Care to send some samples for a trade

Post Thanks / Like
    lol. The shop tried to set me up with a record setting order, including a (really cool) 6" 3M backing pad that was made for a rotary. Sheesh. glad I caught that one before I handed over my plastic.

Unfortunately I want to get this job done this weekend so ordering the SG just isn`t in the cards at this point. What would you recommend I look for tomorrow to substitute, if anything?

C

z

Post Thanks / Like
    hmm, none come to my mind, unless you can find Klasse SG inside a BMW or MB dealership.

Wow, what did you get from the shop?

Post Thanks / Like
    I came to my senses half way through the walk-thru of the warehouse (thank God) so lots of it I handed back when they started writing up the order:

3M PI3 RC, PI3 extra-cut RC, PI3 MG, 3 Meguiars sanding blocks (only kept the 2000 grit), packs of 1000, 1500 and 2000 3M wet/dry sanding paper (gave all back. I`d be dangerous at this stage with that stuff, heck I had to get an Orbital forchristssake so I don`t mess up the paint with a foam pad and a rotary. just think of me with a piece of sandpaper in my hands lol), Wizards polish and sealant, a Wizards waffle-weave drying towel (works the same as my synthetic chamious), 2 8" 3M white foam cutting pad, 9" white wool compounding pad, 2 8" 3M black polishing foam pads. $165.

They claim they have no markup on detailing supplies and make their money on paint and body shop supplies. 3M PI3 MG at $19.. I`m not so sure they don`t make some $$$ there. lol. And.. the same pneumatic mechanics chair I found at Walmart for $24 was $42 there.. and no, the guy wasn`t Dyslexic.

Meguiars makes a #20 Poly Sealant. Better to use that on the AIO or just go to the wax step?

Craig

z

Post Thanks / Like
    zenhog, check your PMs!

Post Thanks / Like
    headed there now!

z

Thread Information