Post Thanks / Like
    hey guys,

I went to the local detailing supply store today and got a bar of clay magic for light colored cars (blue clay) and I asked the sales person if i needed to follow up with a polish like 3m fine cut... He said no that i just need to follow up with a wax. Is this right? I finished the car already, I clayed it and just one coat of wax so far, and it looks fine no swirls or scratches. just wondering what u guys do.

thanks

Post Thanks / Like
    It all depends on the finish,

If you just clayed and there are no swirls and scratches wax a way.

A clay bar is used to remove paint contamination and mke it smooth again. It does nothing to swirls and scratches. This is where a polish comes into the whole detailing scheme of things.

The Blue clay is not for light colored cars. I think you got this confused with 3M`s Swirl Mark Remover for light and dark colored cars. The clay magic comes in two grades. Blue bar is the fine grade and the red bar is the stronger abrasive clay.

I say if you clayed feel the surface, it should be as smooth as a baby`s posterior. No swirls and scratches skip the polish and then wax. If the car is older though, I find a clay job makes the surface smoother and a light polish with a paint cleansing lotion brings out the shine.

Jason

Post Thanks / Like
    hey thanks jason,

the finish was smooth as glass... it was the blue clay bar.

so the clay does not induce scratches???

Post Thanks / Like
    I have not found the blue bar to induce scratches/haze. The red bar by Clay Magic does on the other hand.

Post Thanks / Like
    Well, clay can induce scratches just like applying wax with a dirty mf pad can induce scratches. You just need to be careful and always make sure that there is a clean clay surface in contact with the paint.

Many people split their clay bars into halfs or even quarters to safeguard against dropping the clay on the ground and wasting the whole bar and to make sure that they clay with clean clay.

Ya gotta remember, keep that clay clean, always turn it. Never use dropped clay. Common sense stuff, but ya gotta pay attention. Good luck.
    ~Miguel

Post Thanks / Like
    I second what Magellan said. :up It`s also possible to create marring if you slip up and under-lube a spot as you`re working. The "just in case" is partially why both Mothers and Clay Magic kits come with a cleaner wax. It couldn`t hurt to polish first, or at least glaze since this compliments a wax job well.

What wax are you using or planning to use anyway?

Thread Information