Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Post Thanks / Like
    OK, I know silicone is the devil. But I have a black car, and I like for my tires to be shiny to go with my black shiny car. Since I will have 19s soon, my tires are high performance tires that only last for around 20,000 miles or a little more. This means that the tires will probably last me for around a year.

Now I know these kind of tire dressings can turn tires brown, make them crack and such over time, but who cares if the tires are in the tire monofill at that time.

All I know is that I want shiny tires with my black car. The tires will be real low profile and expensive, so I don`t want to destroy them, lol. Right now, I am using Megs, and like it, but I might go for some of the real shiny stuff if I get up the confidence to do it. What ya think???

Post Thanks / Like
    It sounds like you want the best of both worlds: shiniest tire possible but no damaging side effects from the tire product. I think this is pretty hard to do but here`s my stab at it:

Perhaps just try layering a product like Vinylex that tends to be the shiniest of the "safe" tire dressings.

Spray on the Vinylex, don`t wipe it on, let it sit and spray some more on, repeat until you get the tires the shiniest you can get them.

This is the only method I can think of of achieving the look of a very shiny tire while using a more safe product.Why not try this and compare it to the look you will get with a known very glossy silicone filled product?

Also, another trade off might be you`ll have a real shiny tire but it attracts a lot of dust.

Hard to get every desired feature without some side effect.

Hope this helps
    Treat it like it`s the only one in the world.

Post Thanks / Like
    All tire dressings contain "silicones" of one kind or another. The stuff people tell you to stay away from are the super-high shine products that are usually clear and contain petroleum distillates. I don`t know about your question for sure, but I think the No Touch product in the purple can is supposed to be ultra-shiny but it advertises no PDs. This might be the way to go. :up http://www.notouch.com/newsite/tire-care-products.html

Post Thanks / Like
    Hmmm, I will have to try the No Touch and Vinylex. I never thought Vinylex was shiny, will have to take a closer look at it.

Post Thanks / Like
    try eagle one wet tire gel it works great makes a nice shine. I have never gotten cracking on tires and I used Turtle wax and armorall for 5 yr`s on tires before I knew about autopia. The EO will serve your needs check it out www.eagleone.com

Post Thanks / Like
    Originally posted by Deep_Freeze

Hmmm, I will have to try the No Touch and Vinylex. I never thought Vinylex was shiny, will have to take a closer look at it.
    Vinylex does have a pretty good shine if you can find a sprayer that puts out a fine mist . . . spray the tire down lightly, and allow to dry completely without buffing for the most gloss. As Bill D said, multiple, light coats seem to give the greatest gloss.

Tort

Post Thanks / Like
    From what you said about Vinylex, couldn`t you just layer any tire shine and get similar results or is there something special about Vinylex??? I am going to try layering, which I really haven`t done a lot of. I just don`t like to waste product, but a couple of layers might be worth a try.

I have tried Eagle One Tire Gel, it was just too messy and it really didn`t make my tires all that shiny to make up for the mess. Good product, but it did sling quite a bit also.
    Rodney - Salma, will you marry me?

`03 Nissan Super Black 350Z

"The simplest method is the best method"

Post Thanks / Like
    Deep_Freeze,

While the technique may work well with other tire dressings, too, I`ve only tried it with Vinylex. Vinylex seems to work well for this because it`s thin enough to be sprayed in a fine mist, and because there`s no buffing involved. Gels and creams obviously won`t work that way, but other thin/water-based dressings might.

YMMV,

Tort

Post Thanks / Like
    Mothers Preserves seems to work great for me.

Post Thanks / Like
    Tire shine sprays damage the tires? I didn`t know that. I just bought some spray for the first time a few weeks ago , and used it once. It made my tires look nice, but I didn`t know it can damage them?

Post Thanks / Like
    Not familar with Mothers Preserves, have to keep an eye out for that.

Any spray on tire shine could be layered, guess I will have to try it out.

Post Thanks / Like
    Originally posted by matthew

Tire shine sprays damage the tires? I didn`t know that. I just bought some spray for the first time a few weeks ago , and used it once. It made my tires look nice, but I didn`t know it can damage them?
    It depends. What are you using?

Post Thanks / Like
    Deep Freeze,

Out of curiosity which Megs tire gel are you using? I believe they have a high gloss and a medium gloss finish available.

As 4DSC mentioned some tire sprays do have the wrong type of silicones and possibly PD`s which can harm your tires. Cracking can and will occur if you own the tires long enough and abuse them with the wrong chemicals (don`t ask me how I know )

I really wish I could think of other products but I personally prefer the satin finish so we`re on opposite ends of the product spectrum.:nixweiss
    Afshin

90 Porsche 928 GT - Marine Blue

09 MazdaSpeed3 - Metropolitan Gray Mica

04 Honda Pilot - Silver

Post Thanks / Like
    MBZ, I haven`t mentioned the Megs tire gel in this trend, I was referring to EO tire gel earlier. BUT, I have used the Megs high gloss before, heh, guess I am a junkie.

Megs was nice in how long it lasted, but in application, it just wasn`t shiny enough for me. Not to mention that I must have gotten a bad bottle, cause no matter how tight I screwed the top on, the bottle still leaked. But if matte is what you like, Megs Endurance is the best I have ran across.

Thinking more about it, I am going to experiment with application and such of the good tire shines, before thinking about the silicone stuff (cause I really don`t want to even have a chance of messing up some $1000 tires).

Post Thanks / Like
    Originally posted by 4DSC

All tire dressings contain "silicones" of one kind or another. The stuff people tell you to stay away from are the super-high shine products that are usually clear and contain petroleum distillates.

Thats a pretty bold claim. Do you have any evidence to back it up?

I personally use Groits Garage Rubber and Tire Dressing, which is blatantly claimed as NOT containing any silicones. It does not provide super/wet shine, but leaves a nice semi-gloss black finish, which I like.

I know car care product manufacturers make bogus and misleading claims all the time, but I would just like to evidence to back up your claim that all tire dressings contain silicone.
    Bryan Pendleton

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread Information