Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Post Thanks / Like
    Hi all, i will have to detail my engine and really dont want to sue anything that might corrode after some time, simple green doesnt seem to be such a good pick i admit from reading lots of threads.

Citrus cleaner seems to be a much better chocie here, but im puzzled which one to use, as im in canada and dont have the great many products you got in the U.S., much to my sorrow :nixweiss i was thinking of orange clean, which seems to be citrus based, but i wonder if there are any other chemicals in it though ? Also, id be happy if some others from canada on this forum would chime in, and point out a product(wish i was in the usa, things would be so much easier, i wonder, could i be crazy enough to move there jsut cause there are great car detailing stuff ? )......joking of course but you do have a great array of products, all of em mentoned on here.

to treat rubber hoses afterwards i have plenty of choices here though.......i could use 303 protectant, or even megs. shine and something(dont remember the exact name, but i got the picture of the bottle in mind and it s from the conventional products line).

Ok now ill stop typing as long post are time consuming.........take care ya`ll !!

Post Thanks / Like
    i use meguiar`s apc+ and engine kote. but my engine kote method of application could be improved.

Post Thanks / Like
    where you from buddy ?

thanks for your input i appreciate

Post Thanks / Like
    Gunk makes a citrus cleaner which I hear is pretty good. Myself, I have mostly been using Simple Green and plain old car soap. But I bought a CD2 engine detailing kit and will be trying it out soon.

Post Thanks / Like
    hey hey, thanks for the tip buddy........would you know if our good canadian tire chain has it ? the gunk i mean.................by the way, what is the cd2 system and where can it be bought please ?

Have you noticed anything bad about simple green ? here i h ave it in spray bottle, but dont know if it is concentrated though..........i guess it is.

thanks for chiming in .......take care

Post Thanks / Like
    Yup...Canadian Tire sells all the Gunk stuff. I bought my CD2 kit there also. I think Intel486 wrote a review on it. Try a search on engine cleaning and CD2 (I`m at work, or I would have just posted the link). I think the general consensus is that Simple Green left on aluminum for long periods of time will stain, so what I normally do is spray Simple Green in, leave for a minute, and scrub with a brush, hose off, then, wash with carsoap and rinse again. As long as it`s all rinsed off, then it`s all good.

Post Thanks / Like
    I stay away from simple green after using it on my engine once. It turned all of my hoses grey/green and I had to use a rubber dressing to get them back to black. I have heard that citrus degreasers will not do this.
    .: HellR :.

Post Thanks / Like
    Original Quote from Crooper

i use meguiar`s apc+ and engine kote. but my engine kote method of application could be improved. .

Funny you should mention that because I went to the local Meguiar`s dealer (Acklands-Grainger for those in Canada) to buy some Engine Kote and APC+ and I was told they had no such products. I assured the counter person that there were indeed such products and again I was informed "sorry if they do exist we can`t get them".

I was a bit bothered by this so I contacted Meguiar`s Canada and relayed the story to their sales and marketing director. To my surprise, I was told that those detailer line products are not sold in Canada.

Man that bugs me! I figure I`ll just have to get them by mail order.
    2004 BMW 325i - Titanium Silver, Premium, Sport

Post Thanks / Like
    I`m pretty sure 2hotford (Tim) uses them, and he is in the Okanagan. Dunno where he gets them though, so you might want to PM him. I wouldn`t trust the Meguiar`s reps. Their knowledge base seems pretty weak, except guys like Mike Phillips. :up

Post Thanks / Like
    2Wheelsx2,

Thanks for the heads-up about 2hotford using this stuff. I`ll send him a PM.
    2004 BMW 325i - Titanium Silver, Premium, Sport

Post Thanks / Like
    I just ordered both from CMA... I tried the Fabrik Hi-Intensity cleaner that David recommends in his article and it didn`t quite work as well as I would have hoped. After reading about the APC and Engine Kote combo, I think I will be happy with it.

Here`s the links:

Engine Kote

All Purpose Cleaner Plus

Post Thanks / Like
    does anyone know if it is corrosive ? i was thinking of buying it, as i have locally.

Post Thanks / Like
    Originally posted by Chip Douglas

does anyone know if it is corrosive ? i was thinking of buying it, as i have locally.

I used that stuff(CD2) on my old car before we got ride of it.The dealer asked me if I had it cleaned by a pro.I said no, I did it myself.He said that it was cleaner than the cars that they clean for customers.It looked great and cant wait to get some for my car.I would use it,it worked really good for me.Good luck!:up (where in Canada are you)
    Life is uncertain.......eat dessert first!

Post Thanks / Like
    I`ve used simple green on my engine bay for years now with no problems. To the guy who said it turned your hoses grey/green did you let the product dry on the hoses? I use simple green alot and have yet to have ANY problems with it.

Post Thanks / Like
    Hey fisher, thanks for the pointer............to answer your question, i`m quite near quebec city.....so i guess i should find the cd2 ssytem at my local canadian tire.............yet i wonder if the stuff is corrosive ? or if the motomaster citrus based cleaner is for that matter ? i also saw *CHOMP* at canadian tire which is an american product biodegradeable, working with enzymes to eat oil,dirt, grime.......wonder how good it is. It is ph neutral, therefore it is neither acidic nor caustic.

you might have seen it there too fisher, or if anyone here has given CHOMP a try please let me know, the url for CHOMP is : http://www.chompsolutions.com/SiteSo...n=testimonials

take care !! and thanks :wavey

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread Information