Post Thanks / Like
    This is gonna be my first REAL detail on my car. It is a 71 Chevelle with a nice dark green color that looks almost black. I want to do it right and not have to redo it. The problem is that it has a few swirl marks and i need to remove them. I also believe it doesnt have a clear coat?? Could this be a problem? Here is the Steps i have figured up after i have prep`d it with dawn and clay bar....

+One coat of 3M Medium Cut Rubbing compound.

+One coat of Meguires Dual Action Cleaner/Polish

+One coat of Klasse All In One

+One Coat of S100 Carnauba Paste Wax

Does this sound right? What do you guys think?

Thanks, all advice is appreciated!

Post Thanks / Like
    71chevelle - Welcome to Autopia! IF your car has the original paint, then it`s not clearcoated. That`s a pretty big *IF* after 30-some years. If it`s been repainted, it may or may not have a clearcoat- depends on what they repainted it with. If NO clearcoat, no problem, just don`t keep polishing until you hit primer. I actually PREFER working on single-stage paints.

If you get color transfer to your pads when polishing, then you do NOT have clearcoat.

The MCRC is PROBABLY more aggressive than you`ll need. It`s good to have it on hand, but try the DACP first. REALLY work the DACP until it`s about gone, the abrasives need to break down.

You might still need something after the DACP before the AIO, some do, some don`t.

If you don`t want to redo it for a while, I`d go with a synthetic sealant.

I myself would put a coat of BFII or PUPP or EX on before (or instead of) the S100. I MIGHT also consider VM instead of the AIO. I`m thinking about the exact look you`re after, which will vary depending on which products you use. BTW, I just LOVE those dark greens! So I`d maybe try to pick something that would really make the color look special. I somehow think there is a better combo for that color than AIO/S100, NOT that that would look bad. Yeah, if it were MINE, I think I`d go VM/PUPP.

Post Thanks / Like
    Thanks for your reply. The first time i waxed it before i was introduced to autopia it had a little bit of green on the microfiber when buffing wax off. And it chips really easy so probably no cleacoat. But there are small swirls and scratches i would like to be able to remove. By the way, do i HAVE to use a PC with DACP?

Post Thanks / Like
    DACP would be very difficult to get proper results if you are using it by hand. Everything can be done by hand, but it would be very phyiscally exhausting. Unless you are built like an ox and have developed the right muscles from doing it many times then I think you would have a very difficult time getting results by hand. It can be done, but not by many.
    Keeping Texas clean one car at a time!

Post Thanks / Like
    I guess i have to get a pc, Or at least some pads for the one we have it the shop.. Who carries the pads and what kind do i need?

Post Thanks / Like
    If you have a lot of time to work on this, just take someone else`s advice (sorry can`t recall who...) and just work at it one section at a time over a few days and take it easy without trying to finish everything all at once. DACP, IMHO, does seem to work by hand, but pretty much any polishing job by hand is hard work anyway.

Check out the link in my signature about PC accessorizing. Near the top of that thread is a link to a great writeup on the PC that Geekysteve wrote! :xyxthumbs

Thread Information