Thread: Bugs!

Post Thanks / Like
    I picked up some serious bugs on the front of my car after attending a BMW Driving School. Looked like the car grew a beard! Got 99% of them off washing the car and a coat of P21S GEPC and P21S Wax.

Question - Can clay be used first to really get the paint clean to remove bug residue, then follow with P21S?

Thanks!:
    2003 M3 Imola Red, Black Nappa, SMG

P21S GEPC, Klasse AIO, Klasse HGSG, P21S Carnauba

Post Thanks / Like
    I use bug n` tar remover and if that doesn`t get them all, I`ll clay if I have the remnants of a bar left over. I`ve got a few difficult cases on mine now, but I`ll be claying soon due to some overspray soon (who thought that red spraypaint could travel through the air so well?).

But you have the right idea in leaving what wont come off. I might be wrong, but to me it`s better to leave the lil buggy on there than to scrub, like I`ve seen some people do.

Post Thanks / Like
    I spot-clay things like bugs each time I wash. I`d use the clay and get ALL the bugs off/out of the paint ASAP. Bug guts contain enzymes that can do permanent damage (similar to bird-bomb etching). With just P21S (no underlying sealant) protecting your paint, you`re especially vulnerable, IMO.

Post Thanks / Like
    CMA has a bug sponge, this thing works really good. I use a 50/50 EFHI/Water mix with this and the bugs come right off. I always hated scrubbing those things off.

Post Thanks / Like
    I have an M3 too and have much the same problem. I bought the bug and tar sponge from CMA. Used it once, walked back inside and ordered a six pack of them. I throw the sponge in with my wash water and use it for my bumper and it also works great on the windshield. Use it wet not dry.

Bob
    2007 BMW 335i Convertible Sparkling Graphite Metallic

2006 Porsche Black Cayenne Turbo

Post Thanks / Like
    Originally posted by thomasfl

CMA has a bug sponge, this thing works really good.
    Sorry, new to detailing (bought my first nice new car so I have an incentive to learn). Can someone point me in the direction where to buy these bug sponges. I`m not familiar with CMA.

Post Thanks / Like
    Originally posted by rleven

I have an M3 too and have much the same problem. I bought the bug and tar sponge from CMA. Used it once, walked back inside and ordered a six pack of them.

Are you talking about the Safe-Scrub Bug & Tar Sponge? I bought one a while back and unless they`ve recently changed it, I found it to be one of the most aggressive sponges I`ve ever felt. It felt very stiff with a lot of sharp "plastic tips" and I`d be hesitant to even use them on my tires. It`s almost painful when testing it on the palm of my hand. I`m sure it would make quick work of any baked on bugs, but I have difficulty imagining how this product wouldn`t leave very deep swirls/scratches as well. Even the poly-propylene covered bug-sponges seem much milder than the safe-scrub.

Post Thanks / Like
    Yeah it`s the yellow one. You can use it on the softest of finishes as long as you dunk it in your washwater with soap. With lubrication it causes no damage whatsoever. Even Microswirls. You have to keep it lubed is all.

Bob

Post Thanks / Like
    OK thanks. I`ll give it a try....

Post Thanks / Like
    I haven`t had any problems with scratches or swirls with the sponge. Most of the time I only use it on the front of the car and use it on spots. After washing the car with QEW I go over the bugs that are left with the bug sponge.

Post Thanks / Like
    I love the things. I bought a 6 pack and gave a couple away to friends with bikes. Now when their windscreens fill up with bugs they use the bug sponges to clean off their plastic windscreens. They love them and have ordered many from CMA and that geeky person.

Bob

Thread Information