Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Post Thanks / Like
    Which do you prefer?

I bought the orange power pad kit from CMA, it came with a 7.5 inch gray pad. I then purchased the 1 yellow/2 white pad kit from CMA, and they work fine. I have since received 2 each of the 7.5 inch yellow and white CMA pads.

Having tried all of them, I prefer the 7.5 inch pads because they give me a feeling of safety, knowing that I have some foam between the edge of the 6 inch backing plate and my mirrors / trim/ etc. I can rock it up on the edge (lightly) to get windshield and door pillars a little easier.

I am also interested to hear what you think of the 4 inch pads that I am contemplating....

Post Thanks / Like
    I have both the 6in and 7.5in, and I actually like the 7.5`s. They seem to be easier to work with, and yes, you do have a slight margin for error. The 4-in pads....hmmm.......well, that`s another story. I`ve tried them once, on my PC, and it seemed like it was too much machine for too little pad. Could have been just me, but I actually got better results when I borrowed a friend`s Wen 4" R/O that he purchased from Top of the Line.

ymmv,

DavidM

Post Thanks / Like
    How do you put the product on those 7.5" pads? I have the 6" and put around the circumfrance. But with the 7.5" and their irregular shape, how do you lay on the product?

I like the 6" pads. They`re easy to handle and can get in some tight spots. I`m not too worried about the edge scraping. I`m just a little more careful if I go in at an angle.

The 4" look great for tight areas and spot work like on a single scratch.

The 7.5" are a few dollars cheaper at topoftheline.com. They use Lake County pads like CMA (even though CMA has their name on it). It`s the same part number (I`m almost positive). CMA pads are expensive.
    Seth

Post Thanks / Like
    Originally posted by Spilchy

How do you put the product on those 7.5" pads? I have the 6" and put around the circumfrance. But with the 7.5" and their irregular shape, how do you lay on the product?
    I use the 7.5" pads and they have a concave shape in the center and the edges bevel out. I apply product around the outer ring before the bevel starts. Kind of had to discribe.

Here`s a pic of a sideview of the pads and a pointer to where I apply the product.

Michael

Post Thanks / Like
    Spilchy,

I agree....the CMA pads are expensive, and they seem to be the same as Top Of The Line`s. I place the product on just about the same spot as Michael is showing in his pic, and even sometimes towards the center of the pad. Hasn`t really affected the performance either way.

Regards,

DavidM

Post Thanks / Like
    Good point BlackRegal and thanks for the pic mpauly! That clears it up. Another Autopian (in a previous post) indicated he makes an " X " with the product on the pad or an " * " mark.

Thanks again. I`ll try it this weekend.
    Seth

Post Thanks / Like
    I was supposed to get the advanced pads yesterday but UPS delivered them at 3:41 when no one is home (I was away in NJ, came back that night.)

Ok after a long night I was walking to my house and saw the UPS at my house I was like WTF! Is tarted to run after it and the truck pulled away and disappeared into the neighboorhood somewhere. I ran 3 blocks in record time and I still missed it. I got greeted with a UPS Info notice. Its half my fault but why can`t UPS ground have a set time, yesterday was 3:41 and this morning it was 9:42. I called them up and just said basically screw your UPS ground and I`ll just pick it up at the UPS delivery center tonight between 7:30-8:30, which is about an hours bus ride away. Oh well rather pay $4 for bus fare than get dissapointed again by UPS having me to set my time table to theirs.

Anyway sorry for the venting. I`ll post my review soon once I get my pads and use them.

gosh and this new Z is supposed to drain out of the bottle. I just had to be the bright one and buy 14 mixing bottles from the container store to combat the problem of Z sticking to the bottles.

Jason

Post Thanks / Like
    Originally posted by BlackRegal

I think it depends on what you`re using them for. To me the bigger pads would be great for applying glazes, waxes & sealants. But for applying polishes with buffered abrassives, it seems like you would want the smaller pads for the smaller surface area. The smaller surface area would theoretically cause less drag, allowing the PC operate faster, and it would also equate to more PSI, both factors which will help a diminishing abrassive do its job better.

Good point regal, but with the design of the advanced pads, most of the outer portion of the pad is not in contact with the paint. If you are getting too much drag, you can angle the pad a little and reduce the surface in contact. Also, with the "cup" attachement method, the backing plate is recessed into the pad and almost eliminates the possibility of the backing plate scratching the paint.

Michael

Post Thanks / Like
    Originally posted by JasonC8301

I was supposed to get the advanced pads yesterday but UPS delivered them at 3:41 when no one is home (I was away in NJ, came back that night.)

Ok after a long night I was walking to my house and saw the UPS at my house I was like WTF! Is tarted to run after it and the truck pulled away and disappeared into the neighboorhood somewhere. I ran 3 blocks in record time and I still missed it. I got greeted with a UPS Info notice. Its half my fault but why can`t UPS ground have a set time, yesterday was 3:41 and this morning it was 9:42. I called them up and just said basically screw your UPS ground and I`ll just pick it up at the UPS delivery center tonight between 7:30-8:30, which is about an hours bus ride away. Oh well rather pay $4 for bus fare than get dissapointed again by UPS having me to set my time table to theirs.

Anyway sorry for the venting. I`ll post my review soon once I get my pads and use them.

gosh and this new Z is supposed to drain out of the bottle. I just had to be the bright one and buy 14 mixing bottles from the container store to combat the problem of Z sticking to the bottles.

Jason

LOL That sounds so familiar! We`ve all had that experience. Or, you come home and franticly say, "Did UPS come, did UPS come, did UPS come??!!"
    Seth

The Man Who Knows The Man
    Post Thanks / Like
    Wow, down here UPS just rings the doorbell, sets the package down and turns around and leaves. I have literally gotten to the door as they were driving away only to find the package at my feet.

BlackRegal

Interesting. I am currently considering the acquisition of a PC and related pads. My intended use is for the application of polishes and continue applying waxes and sealants by hand. Is this something you have experimented with (the use of various size pads), or is this as you described "theoretical supposition"?

Post Thanks / Like

I finally got my pads, took me 3 hours. Two and a half hours traveling, 1/2 hour at UPS hub.

I am one happy camper now.

A review of these to come.

Post Thanks / Like
    I use and enjoy both sizes of the VC foam pads. The 7.5" foam pads from CMA and TOL are the same padsmade by Lake Country Mfg. I wish TOL would sell the 6" VC foam pads. I like their pad prices.

When it`s time to do more than one panel, the 7.5" are great. This week I picked up a scratch on a fender. The 6" pads were the ticket, as I only needed to apply product to a small area on one panel.
    370HSSV

Post Thanks / Like
    I tried the cma pads and the top of the line pads. the cma pads tend to flake alot when used on my rotary. But as the top of the line dont they both work the same though. I perfer the 7.5 inch pads they have to be put on perfectly or else the rotary bounces.

Post Thanks / Like
    Originally posted by JasonC8301

Jason

Jason - here`s your solution.

Get a pad of those 3M "yellow stickies"

Write on the pad "DRIVER - PLEASE LEAVE DELIVERY AT DOOR"

sign your name at the bottom

stick to door and leave it there.

If you are like me and have a bunch of stuff coming and never know when, just leave a couple out there all the time.

Most drivers just leave it, but some take one of the notes for their records. Technically anyone who isn`t supposed to leave it at the door should take one, that`s why it`s good to have several out there at all times.

viola!

Better detailing through chemistry

z

Post Thanks / Like
    I was going to tell them to leave it (UPS Infonotice) but knowing the kids in my neighboorhood, I don`t trust it. If anyone heard of Wu-Tang clan (redman, method man I see the most), I am two block over and 1 up from the Park Hill projects.

Thanks zenhog, but its either they deliver it or now I can drive over to the UPS hub and pick it up

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread Information