Post Thanks / Like
    WARNING: APOLOGIES FOR THE LONG POST AHEAD OF TIME.

Hello -- I have been lurking about for a couple of months and reading quite a few of the posts - current and historical. Have used the search function quite a bit to look up various items that I had questions on and almost always found more then enough information.

Finally decided to post my overall question as to what would the Autopia Community in general recommend for this particular car in regards to products, methods, etc to take care of this particular vehicle.

NOTE: Only thing I won`t change in maintaining this vehicle is the miles I intend to put onto it while enjoying the car <grin>.

Some background info on the car and my current steps taken to maintain the car:

Model: MY2003 Mercedes SL500 Roadster with Sport Package and panorama convertible roof.

Exterior Color: Pewter (A silverish / grayish / gold`ish combo color -- which looks a little different based on the time of day)

Interior Color: Charcoal with Walnut trim

I treat the car like a daily driver and will put on ~ 25 K miles a year on it at least. When it is not being driven, it is parked in a garage at night. During the daytime when I am at work it is kept out in the parking lot in sun / rain / etc.

So far have been keeping the car clean by doing the following steps at least once a week:

Exterior Care:

1. Park Car in Shade and I make sure car metal and wheels are relatively cool to touch and not hot.

2. Clean wheels and tires via a bottle of Eagle One A-Z diluted with water (50/50 mix) and spray it onto the wheel and tire. Let sit for ~ 30 seconds, and then I agitate it with a soft bristle tire brush. Rinse the wheel and tire throughly with water from a hose.

3. Using hose with a nozzle attachment spray the car down with water (no a hard direct stream but a meduim level stream / spray at 45 degree angle to the car surface being targeted).

4. Remove Nozzle and sheath car from top to bottom with a direct flow of water comming from the hose.

5. Take two buckets and put 4 gallons of water in each. In the first bucket I put 4 oz of Meg Gold Car Wash Solution. I add 2 oz of PoorBoys Spray and Wipe Solution and add 2 oz of Zaino Bros Z6 Quick Detailer solution. I mix up this stuff pretty well with the water. I have the second 4 gallons of water for rinsing my Sheepskin Wash mitts after doing each car panel.

6. I take a clean Sheepskin Wash Mitt and dip it in the soapy bucket and do one panel at a time. For all panels / areas washed I use a light gliding motion to move the soapy sheepskin mitt over that panel in the same direction air would flow over it if I was driving on a highway. After doing this I quickly rinse that panel off with water from the hose.

7. After one panel / area is washed as per step above -- I take the sheepskin mitt and dunk it into the bucket with just water in in and shake it around underneath the water vigorisly by twisting my hand side to side and then using a waving action with my hand. Next I take the mitt out from under the water and hose it down a strong spray of water from the hose. I then dunk the mitt into the soapy water solution and shake it around to gather some soap and water and go onto the next panel and repeat the above steps until all areas have been covered. NOTE: I generally end up dumping my water bucket and refilling it once during this process.

8. I now take the nozzle attachment off the hose and starting at the top of the car I do a final rinse of the car using the Perfect Drying Technique -- water sheeting method. After this I remove any additional water on the vehicle by using Waffleweave towels from PakShak via putting the Waffleweave towel down on the surface carefully and smoothing the towel down so it make complete contact with the surface. I then lift the towel up without dragging it across the surface and repeat this step until the vehicle is dry. I take care of most of the crevices etc but using a different waffleweave towel to draw the water out. BTW -- Thanks to all the people who came up with this Perfect Drying Technique -- works like a charm.

9. Now that the car is nice, dry and clean (I hope) -- I a set of clean microfiber towels from PakShak. A few of David`s Autopia Concours Buffing Towel (CBT) and a spray bottle which has a 50 / 50 mixture of Poorboys Spray and Wipe and Meguiars Gold Class Quick Detailer.

10 . I fold a PakShak MF towel and slightly dampen it with the 50/50 mixture -- from the above step -- by spraying it onto the MF towel. I wipe this slightly dampened MF towel over a panel using a light gliding motion to move the damp MF towel over that panel in the same direction air would flow over it if I were driving. I follow up on that panel using the same motion and lightly buff the panel with the Autopia Concours Buffing Towel.

11. I repeat the above step until all areas of the vehicle are covered -- and I do keep on folding the MF Towel over and over again after each panel until all parts of the MF Towel have been used. Once that is done I get another MF Towel.

12. As a final step I take the 50 / 50 mixture of PoorBoys S+W and Megs Gold Class QD and dampen another PakShak MF Towel (only use this one for the wheels) and run it over the wheels only.

13. Take an Eagle One Foam Tire Swipe and load the swipe up with some of the Eagle One Tire Shine stuff (not sure of the name here -- but it is a freebie small bottle that came with the package of two or three foam tire swipes I bought as a sample item). I take the swipe and run it over the tire. Repeat the process until all 4 tires are done -- making sure of course the swipe isn`t so loaded up it allow the stuff to drip or run. I get a pretty good wet look from this -- not too glossy / shinny -- which I dislike. NOTE: I haven`t tried any other stuff out there but am looking for some suggustions for something that might give me a longer lasting satanish look / finish.

Interior Care:

1. I take out all the carpets and for the time being -- since they are in good shape still -- Just beat on them and get them as free of dust and dirt as I can -- using my hands and a soft bristle brush.

2. I put the carpets back in the car.

3. Using a compressed can of air and a small china bristle paintbrush -- I go ahead and clean all the crevices in the between various areas where stuff can get caught. This include the seats, wood trim, shifter, display and vent areas.

4. I then take a California Car Duster and start at the top of the car [interior]-- including all the glass areas, leather, wood, etc and dust them all. I shake out the duster frequently -- and away from the car.

5. Using a Clean PakShak MF towel I clean all the glass surfaces with Stoners Glass Cleaner. [Wondering if I can just use PoorBoys S+W instead)

6. I use another clean but slightly damp [water] MF Towel and dampen it with Aerospace 303 Protectent [has UV protection in it] and wipe down the dash, console area, armrest, and rear deck lid areas. [Haven`t done the perforated / ventilated leather seats yet -- since I wasn`t sure about it]. I go over the surfaces with another very lightly water dampened PakShak MF Towel after letting it sit for ~ 1 minute.

7. I take another clean PakShak MF towel load it up with some PoorBoy`s S+W and clean the door sills and door jamb areas.

At this point I am basically done or at least I think I am.

If you have gotten down here -- all the way -- thanks ... And I will repeat my original question posed: What would you recommend in regards to taking care of this particular vehicle. Are their parts of the process or products / mixtures being used in the process documented above that you would suggust I either change, substitute or add to.

BTW -- I do have a PC 7424 --- but don`t use it on this car -- yet.

Some other products I have but haven`t used on this car yet are:

S100 Wax

S100 Shine Enhancing Cleanser

Zaino ZFX

Zaino Z2

Zaino Z6 [NOTE: I have only used this as part of my wash mixture]

Zaino Z7

Clay Magic Clay Kit

Based on my lurking and reading -- I am also curious about the following items but am not sure if I should at somepoint:

Meguiars # 9 Swirl and Scrath Remover Polish

Hi-Temp`s Light Cut Polish

Lake Country MFG Pad for the PC

PoorBoy`s EX in particular and maybe his other products as well.

Klasse AIO -- No interest based on what I have read about the Klasse HG Sealant.

Platinum`s -- Platinum Series Ultimate Paint Pre-Cleaner and their PUPP [UPP] product.

Some good leather maintenance product for the interior leather -- including my seats which are perforated - ventatlited leather seats. I don`t know if they are vinyl coated or not though.

Some of the ClearKote products

I know these are quite a few things and am just looking for some recommendations regarding the info above and what you think might produce the best look for this particular car. Also don`t hesitate to recommend a process or product or method that I haven`t mentioned above.

Thanks for your time and suggustions.

Regards,

- raj

Post Thanks / Like
    To preserve the paint quality and make it shine, I would go with AIO and UPP, topped by S100 paste wax if you have the time.

SG is good but can be a bit bothersome to use.

But AIO/UPP gives an evilly good shine and protects really well.

I doubt you have many swirls, looking at your washing procedure, but without seeing the car I wouldnt know.

As for the leather .. I would certainly try and treat it with something to keep it nice and supple.

I`ve done the Merc perforated leather seats before and theyre a PITA cos the cream gets into the little holes lol.

Seems everything else your doing is perfect!

I`ll buy a car from you anyday

Post Thanks / Like
    Sounds like you`re treating your Benz right :xyxthumbs . The thing you need to watch out for is the exposure while it`s parked outside. I have NO experience with Z, so I won`t comment on that except to say that *I* think that particular car would look better with a "carnauba-look" sealant like PUPP. I`d sure have a sealant of SOME kind on there to keep your paint protected. I guess I`d go with the AIO/PUPP combo (I think that`s what I`m gonna use on my silver S8 next time, currently using BFII).

I wouldn`t hesitate to use the PC on it (though there are areas on the SL you`ll have to do by hand anyhow). Get some of the new 7.5" pads to make it an even safer process. Use mild products like the #9 and the S100SEC (or AIO or Platinum`s paint cleaner) and you`ll be fine, but as Smoker said, I doubt you`ll have much trouble with swirls given your washing regimen.

I won`t get into what to use on your seats (are they coated? does anyone really know?), but whatever you use, I`d put some on my hands first and then rub it onto/into the leather that way. Less gets into the holes. And remember, you don`t need much!

Post Thanks / Like
    Wow, I wish I had the patience and time to do that regimine at least once every week. Looks like you`ve got it all right. You`re car will no doubt look like new for years to come.

I only have a few comments/questions.

Exterior

#4 - Is this rinsing techniqe necessary before you wash?

#5 - For your wash solution, does adding S+W and a QD really add anything to the process when diluted that much? This is the first time I`ve heard of adding QD to the wash solution and I`m interested in hearing about its benifits.

As for the color, I have a Silverstone Gray Passat (wish I had a Benz) similar in color to your`s (but without the goldish hue) and I think it definitely looks better with a carnuba look. As other`s have mentioned, a sealant might beneficial (since it sits outside during the day) with a carnuba topper. Or pehaps something like EX or UPP wich I hear have a carnuba look......I gotta try EX.

Thanks,

Michael (Praying it doesn`t rain this weekend)

Post Thanks / Like
    Smoker and Accumulator -- Thanks for your suggustions.

mpauly -- In regards to Exterior step # 4 -- It only takes me a minute or two to run around the car and do that and make me a little more warm and fuzzy that I have had a chance to have as much of the bigger dirt particles flow off the car surfaces as possible. In regarsd to Exterior step # 5 -- I kinda figured that the Megs Car Wash provides pretty good lubrication -- but it couldn`t hurt any to add a little Z6 and some of PoorBoys S+W solution to the mixture to cause a little more gliding on the surface. Additionally I have found the PoorBoys S+W makes it ALOT easier to remove various debris that is slightly stuck on the car as compared to just using the car wash solution (either Megs or Z-7). Therefore I added it to the car wash mixture and water -- and have had an easier time of it.

Again thanks for the suggustions and keep them coming.

- raj

Post Thanks / Like
    The only thing that I may suggest is that since you are washing your car so carefully each week, I don`t think you need to use A2Z on it every week. I would put some AIO, or #20 or Z5, or something on there, and then from that time on, just wash with regular car soap, until you need to you A2Z again (I suspect you won`t) at which time you`ll have to redo the sealant. I put #20 on my wheels 4 or 5 times a year, and never have to use a wheel cleaner anymore.

Post Thanks / Like
    BlackRegal -- Thanks.

The reason I use the cocktail now is because I discovered when using a QD like Z6 or using PoorBoy`s S+W -- it was a lot easier to get certain debris, splatters, etc of the vehicle as compared to getting the same stuff off with just the carwash. So I thought why not make a mixture out of it and do the carwash that way -- so I get all the benefits of the various products at the same time ... of course don`t hesitate to tell me I need to lay the crack pipe down if I am totally of base here.

Thanks again for the suggustions and compliment.

BTW -- I will post some pics soon.

Regards,

- raj

Post Thanks / Like
    I`m not a fan of that Eagle One Tire dressing (the freebie with the swipes). It has petroleum distillates in it and I feel it leaves my tires stained brown after a while, even after a good scrubbing. I`d stick with 303, Vinylex or No Touch spray that sells for $7 for 3 cans at Costco. All will look nice and provide nourishing treatment and protection for your rubber.

Just my $.02 about the tires.
    Seth

Post Thanks / Like
    Don`t worry about the post being long, I enjoyed reading it

As fr tire dressings, I`m on the search for the perfect tire dressing myself, and just may have found it.

Poorboys High Gloss Tire and Trim shine is great stuff. At first I just sprayed it on and left it there like an idiot, and of course is slung all over the place. However, once it slung, it looked great. Nice and satin, deep but not high gloss. It just looked great. So I wiped off the excess the next time, and again, looked great, no slinging, and it actually hangs on through the rain too.

You should be able to apply it fine with the tire swipes.

As for the leather, I reccomend Scottwax`s Woolite solution (I`m sure you encountered it in your searching. Just be careful how you spray it on the seats. Isn`t the dash in that thing leather covered? I know it is in the S500s with the designo packages and the S600. If so, the Woolite should do a great job on that too and leave no residue behind. I use it to clean everything in the interior now, dash, door panels, leather, just not the glass or wood.

Post Thanks / Like
    rajs- This is off-thread, and probably just a coincidence, but a decade or so ago I bought an `86 AMG SEC from a guy in Philly. He also had a beige metallic 6.3 that had won the Silver Plate award at Starfest, as I recall. Any chance that you are/are aquainted with him? Just a shot in the dark.

Post Thanks / Like
    Accumulator -- Not me -- The only other Mercedes I have owned is a 1999 SL500 (Silver).

- raj

Post Thanks / Like
    rajs- OK, it was worth a shot. Let us know what you decide to use on your SL. Guess I won`t try to talk you into ABC, but I DO think you oughta clay it.

Post Thanks / Like
    As for the Tireshine Get Eagle One Wet Tire Gel it looks awsome and smells nice doesnt sling and lasts pretty well. Its been a couple of days of rain now and they still are black and glossy the product also smells nice. I orderd 3 bottles 1 was broken half full eagle one didnt ask any questiosn and sent me a brand new one and A2Z for free. great Service and Great product. Ive been searching for the perfect tire shine for quite some time now and i finally found it.

Order it only online its impossible to find in stores I spent 2 weeks looking for it.

As for the post above about the Eagle One Wet Tire [SPRAY] it does have PD`s in it it also smells like ammonia it does leave a nice gloss but doesnt last the Gel is way better. As for the browning I never noticed any browning even from armorall by the time your tires crack from the Pd`s or whatever you will already have worn your treads down.

Post Thanks / Like
    As others have already suggested definitely protect your leather! Griots leather conditioner works excellent (and smells good too) as does Lexol (bad smell) and either product will keep your leather soft. Neither will clog the perforations, just follow directions on the bottle.

You might also want to consider a tire cleaner, I`ve found that tire dressings look much more natural (less shine) when applied to a previously cleaned tire. They also don`t sling as much.

MB mats are very resilient and I`ve found a good upright vacuum will keep them perfect for at least 5 years of regular use. Use a medium floor setting on the vacuum. If the outside edges start to fray use a lighter and carefully melt the frays.

Protection is definitely personal preference, IMO carnaubas like the S100 will enhance metallics and let their colors come through.

Other than that good luck with your new car.
    Afshin

90 Porsche 928 GT - Marine Blue

09 MazdaSpeed3 - Metropolitan Gray Mica

04 Honda Pilot - Silver

Thread Information