Post Thanks / Like
    Can anyone tell me what is the best polishing machine to get for a newbie. I never used one before but like to know as I might get me one I like to know what type, brand etc. I also like to know what pads to get for it, Meguiar`s, 3M

Thanks for any info.

Jeroen

Post Thanks / Like
    I`m in the same boat -- trying to sort out the info about PCs and pads to place an order. For me, the best place to start seems to be 4DSC`s PC Accessorizing thread. Then do a search for "7224 + 7336" and you`ll find lots more relevant info about options, sources, pads, etc. Good luck.

Post Thanks / Like
    Thanks, found that thread, did a quick read and so far I`ve seen it`s about the porter cable polisher. I checked portercable.com and the polishing machine is for the US, 120V. I`m looking for a similar machine but then from Makita, Bosch or whatever as long as it is safe to use for a newbie Great info though.

Btw. I copied and paste the info from that thread into a Word file and printed it. I`ve done that with other great threads(like the #7 thread) as well so I have always some info at hand when I need it

Post Thanks / Like
    Originally posted by Jeroen

I checked portercable.com and the polishing machine is for the US, 120V. I`m looking for a similar machine but then from Makita, Bosch or whatever as long as it is safe to use for a newbie
    120V is not an issue - a lot of the building trade tools work on this so you can get adapters. The problem is that the PC is supposed to be serviced every 100 hours of use (or so other threads have mentioned) and I can see this could be a bit of a problem.

I have seen a Makita random orbital (DA) that looked good but it was also a bit expensive (I think about 250 Euros if I remember, but I could be wrong )
    I can`t believe you kiss your car good night.

C`mon baby tell me-you must be jokin`, right!
    Shania Twain

Citroen BX `88, Lomax 223 `85, Citroen 11BN `56

Post Thanks / Like
    Jeeroen- Given your location, you should be able to find a Euro-spec RO if you buy locally. I`ve seen them in catalogs, just can`t remember which manufacturer`s they were. The only trick is to be sure you get a RANDOM ORBITAL, preferably one that`s already set up for 6" velcro-backed pads.

As far as servicing intervals, when used for auto detailing (as opposed to sanding), VERY little factory-type service is actually required. Minor lubrication can be handled by the user, and even that isn`t required very often. Detailing is a pretty easy life for these machines, especially if you buy a quality unit.

Post Thanks / Like
    Originally posted by Accumulator

Jeeroen- Given your location, you should be able to find a Euro-spec RO if you buy locally. I`ve seen them in catalogs, just can`t remember which manufacturer`s they were. The only trick is to be sure you get a RANDOM ORBITAL, preferably one that`s already set up for 6" velcro-backed pads.

As far as servicing intervals, when used for auto detailing (as opposed to sanding), VERY little factory-type service is actually required. Minor lubrication can be handled by the user, and even that isn`t required very often. Detailing is a pretty easy life for these machines, especially if you buy a quality unit.
    Good point about the lubrication :xyxthumbs

Well if we are talking 6" velcro pads then with Makita we must be talking about the BO6030 which retails in the UK at about 235 euros (ouch!) but I think this may be too fast so maybe the BO6040 - 435 euros (ouch ouch ouch!). Maybe not Makita...

Shania Twain

Post Thanks / Like
    Do a search for Bosch maybe. I believe there are one or two users of adapted Bosch random orbital sanders (the PC started life as a sander too remember) and/or the Makita as well.

Try looking for cvcaelen`s thread - he`s in Belgium and also has one of the above machines, although I can`t recall which. Good luck!

Post Thanks / Like
    Originally posted by butchdave

Good point about the lubrication :xyxthumbs

Well if we are talking 6" velcro pads then with Makita we must be talking about the BO6030 which retails in the UK at about 235 euros (ouch!) but I think this may be too fast so maybe the BO6040 - 435 euros (ouch ouch ouch!). Maybe not Makita...

435 Euros ouch ouch:scared lol, well I now know what to look for, think I`ll PM Christiaan from Belgium to ask what machine he uses. Thanks guys.

Post Thanks / Like
    I heard my name calling

http://www.autopia.org/forums/showth...ghlight=BO6040

is the thread you`re looking for

Happy detailing:wavey

Post Thanks / Like
    Originally posted by cvcaelen

I heard my name calling

http://www.autopia.org/forums/showth...ghlight=BO6040

is the thread you`re looking for

Happy detailing:wavey
    Great thread, thanks

Damn, now where am I going to find that sort of money? Wonder if they are any cheaper in Belgium or France - I`m driving over to Knokke-Heist next week

Dave

Shania Twain

Post Thanks / Like
    Look at it as an investment: maybe for a (small) fee you can amaze your neighbours , and earn some of that money back

I waited to buy mine `till there were promotional sales.

I had the time to wait,...

Christiaan

Thread Information