Thread: SG, S100, SG??

Post Thanks / Like
    I have layered SG 3 times over 2 AIO, and it looks GREAT! Now my plan was to start with the S100 but if I do, how bad would it be to put SG on afterwards? Anotherwards, will SG remove the S100? If it does, that is OK by me...as long as it doesn`t create a problem with the SG bonding to the SG/AIO underneath it...

Did that make sense??? LOL
    Brian - 2003 Frontier SC CC LB

My picture page...click here!!!

Post Thanks / Like
    SG will not bond to a carnauba. You can`t layer any polymer over a carnauba.
    Keeping Texas clean one car at a time!

Post Thanks / Like
    OK so what do you do? Once you put S100 on, you are stuck only with S100! I would guess you would have to AIO to remove the S100 then start over! Maybe I should just keep putting SG on

Post Thanks / Like
    Yup. Put on SG until you`re happy (or sick and tired of layering! ), and then put it into storage until your next full detail.

Post Thanks / Like
    SG doesn`t need to be layered monthly like carnauba does. Get 4 or 5 coats of SG on and you are good for the summer. Top with S100 as needed. You should only have to polish out your car and start over twice a year; once in the spring and once in the fall. The times in between are when proper maintanance and care come in to play. AIO should take care of all the S100 and SG layers and give you a clean surface to start over with whatever you want to do. I would imagine that most polishes like DACP would strip it all off to.

4 or 5 layers of SG is going to give you the maximum appearance that SG is really capable of giving you. You could go more layers, but from my experience it doesn`t really get much better after that fifth layer. Going beyond that is just more work for less result. Top with S100 at least once every 6 weeks to keep it looking fresh. I would go once every 3 weeks if you wanted it to look like it has just been waxed, but S100 will give you at least 6 weeks or more of good beading and appearance.

Post Thanks / Like
    After you’ve applied a few layers of SG and topped with carnauba there is really no reason to add more SG, but if for some reason you just can’t resist doing it, then a dish detergent wash will remove the carnauba without harming the SG and you’ll be able to successfully add more SG.

Good luck and have fun!
    <B>OCD</B> sufferer and charter member of the
    <B>A</B>nal <B>R</B>etentive <B>Z</B>3 <B>O</B>wners <B>A</B>ssociation

Post Thanks / Like
    Okay. Now I have a stupid question. Say you layer 4-5 layers of SG and then start doing S100 once a month. Wouldn`t the S100 also protect the SG? Here`s what I`m getting at. Why is there a need to do a full detail (AIG-SG-S100)? In the fall couldn`t you just wash with Dawn, strip the S100, and begin with layering the SG again? Particularly on a new car is it necessary? I assume I`m missing something and there is a reason to dull the full detail twice a year.

Post Thanks / Like
    There may be swirls that you want to remove or other damage. S100 doesn`t do much for protection anyway. Its mainly an appearance product. The protection is in the sealants. Carnauba just isn`t durable enough to provide much in the way of any protection. Minimal UV and minimal environmental protection can be expected but that`s about it.

The `full detail` is more than just AIO-SG-S100. It involves surface prep before the sealant with clay and polish. If you can go through an entire spring and summer without picking up any new swirls then you have a garage queen that rarely sees the road. Polishing out your car is something that probably needs to be done twice a year to stay on top of things. That`s just my take on it. Its how I care for my cars and I have to say that they need the polishing at least once a year. I do it twice because I use different products for summer and winter so I figure I might as well do a complete job when I switch products.

Post Thanks / Like
    To add to what Jngr said, you will probably want to clay the car once or twice a year as well, which will compromise or partially remove some of your protection.

In addition to the swirl/scratch issue, this is why even though a product may last forever it`s not really practical for the "enthusiast" who likes to keep his car swirl-free and feeling smooth. :xyxthumbs

Post Thanks / Like
    What GingerBreadMan and 4DSC said is exactly right (and exactly wrong) IMO. In detailing there is no set schedule that you must follow, nor is there a set method or technique. What pleases and suits me may not be worth a darn for you.

Carnauba will provide a little protection to the Klasse that is protecting the paint, but during normal driving and washing there will be marring that will affect the Klasse and some that will affect the paint. At what point you want to strip everything off and start over is up to you. GingerBreadMan does it on a scheduled basis, I do mine on a much different pattern. About once a year I take it down to bare paint and go the whole route - clay, polish, protect - but after that I do it on a rotating basis, one section at a time based on the marring that magically appears.

It’s up to you to decide how anal you are about your paint, and how much work you can put into it before it becomes work that you don’t want to do. Try to get a good balance.

Post Thanks / Like
    Thanks guys! I have 3 coats of SG on now and I think I will go a couple more. Then S100. When it nolonger looks great and smooth, I will start over. This could be in the fall or even in the middle of the summer...I just want my finish to look as good as it does now!

Also, can you clay on top of SG and then re-apply SG?

Post Thanks / Like
    Depending on conditions and your layering of S100 you will need to add more S100 every 3-6 weeks.

Also, can you clay on top of SG and then re-apply SG?
    Sure you can, but depending on your claying technique you’ll probably remove some of the SG.

I certainly don’t know how to determine if any synthetic sealant (or carnauba for that matter) remains on the paint. The standard answer is to check the water beading, but in my experience it isn’t the amount of protectant that affects beading, it’s the amount of dirt that has been picked up and bonded to the surface that causes the surface tension to breakdown. I’d sure like to know of a foolproof method of telling how much protectant remains on the paint!

Thread Information