Thread: Glazes

Post Thanks / Like
    I have a black Hyundai Santa Fe. The paint is mediocre - at best. I don`t own a PC, so I do everything by hand. That said, I know that I can`t really remove swirls, but, if I`m lucky, I can hide them.

My question is really two-fold. First, please compare "phase 1" products. IE: Meg`s products vs Mother`s vs whatever 3M product is applicable.

Second, please compare Meg`s retail "phase 2" to Mother`s "phase 2" to the applicable 3M product.

Post Thanks / Like
    I find you get really good results using the S100 Shine Enhancing Paint Cleaner, followed by Meguires #7 Mirror Glaze line, Show Car Glaze, and then follow it up with S100 Carnuba Wax.

Apply them all with Meguires Yellow hand applicators, and buff out with some Microfiber towels. ANd of course always wash your car with a nice soft sponge, or microfiber mit, and a nice car washing shampoo.

Some people also get good results useing Scratch-X from Meguires. It has some fillers in it to help hide scratches...so you may get some good results out of using that.

Good luck.

Serious no BS kinda guy forrest@mothers's Avatar
    Post Thanks / Like
    Meguiar`s Step 1 and Mothers Phase 1 Pre-Wax Cleaner are both aluminum oxide based products that will do a fine job of paint prep, removing light oxidation, and cleaning the surface of old wax/polish. They`ll also "feather" the edges of any marring, making it less visible. They`re not near as aggressive as 3M SMR, Mirror Glaze #9, or Mothers Pro Foam Pad Polish. Either are fine to use by hand, but I`d suggest staying with the same brand of products when going from 1 to 2.

Meguiar`s Step 2 Polish and Mothers Phase 2 Sealer and Glaze are both glaze type products, but I think you`ll find Sealer and Glaze to be a superior product from a finish standpoint (I am, admittedly, biased big time) and ease of use. When used properly, either product should give a clear, deep finish. I suggest applying the glaze in a back and forth motion to a small area with a foam applicator, and removing while still damp with a MF for best results.

Opinions are varied because paint appearance is quite personal. A better solution would be for you to try both side by side and see which one YOU prefer.
    forrest

Post Thanks / Like
    I second the motion for Mothers Sealer and Glaze. Great stuff, easy on-easy off.

Dom

Post Thanks / Like
    Well there you go, Forrest summed it all up for you in one neat, tidy package that is with my understanding of those products as well. :xyxthumbs

I was going to suggest dropping Step 1 and replacing it with a swirl remover, but after I thought about it I realized that both pre-wax cleaners aren`t as "demanding" to use as swirl removers, which must be worked in quite a bit or they may leave poor results. Pre-wax cleaners are weaker (too weak IMO to do anything to swirls) but it is faster/easier to use. Choose your poison.

Swirl removal by hand is possible. It`s just very labor intensive and time consuming.

I admittedly haven`t tried other glazes like #7 or IHG (3M equiv. for you) but I like Mothers Sealer and Glaze because:

a) Gives good results and looks good.

b) No issues with its use so far.

c) Cheaper and easily available.

d) Not confusingly named "Polish" like some other product....

Others seem to be warming to this product too - try running a search on "mothers glaze".

Patrick
    My vote goes with Mothers....

Megs is too damn confusing .....

Mothers gives a great shine, and decent protection...Like 4D said, its widely available, nothing to misinterprate, ease of use big plus....Grab yourself some Showtime while your at it, arguably the best retail QD available......

Thread Information