Thread: Where to begin

Post Thanks / Like
    I`ve always thought that I was a fanatic for car care, until I found this site today... Wow, I`m a slacker.

I just bought a new to me Expedition, I`ve been planning to start with a good dawn wash weekend after next and clay (this will be my first clay application). After that where do I go? I had planned to polish and wax, but now I`m really confused. In the past I`ve jumped around from different glazes and waxes and will use one until I find something I like better. I want to find something that has great protection and durability, yet still has a great shine and a deep finish. However, with my life responsibilities and the size of this truck, I can`t see putting on 5-7 coats and waiting 24 hours between coats. Before I had children maybe that would have been an option.

Thanks in advance for your advice....

Post Thanks / Like
    N2MyWake - Welcome to Autopia. Before someone ELSE says it, I`ll suggest you click on the "LEARN" icon, and/or buy the e-book.

A NON-Autopian friend of mine has a vehicle in the same color. Like you, he doesn`t want to spend forever on it, or do it very often.

First, do your claying while you wash. Much quicker. Get some kind of abrasive to remove/reduce your swirls, assuming you have some. Maybe Perfect-It III. Do a search on that topic. If you don`t have any swirls that bother you, just go straight to the following.

I`d use either BlackFire or Platinum. There ARE two steps, a pre-cleaner and a final protectant. These are both easy to use and long lasting. They offer good protection against the elements and have a great "look". You can replenish the protectant occasionally without starting over with the pre-cleaner. And a good Quick Detailer ("QD") after washing can help keep that slick, shiny effect.

If you just can`t go for the two-step thing, there are other options..

Post Thanks / Like
    Thanks. I`ve been reading many past threads. I came to this site to read about the different products. Don`t get me wrong I still wax/polish at least once a month (haven`t gotten this truck yet). I`ll read a little more on on the Blackfire and Platinum.

Swirls don`t seem to be that bad, but there are several small problem areas that need attention, like the area under the fuel door. Looks like the gas cap has made several scuffs and scratches, but they will all work out with a slight abrasive. Do you think the Perfec-It III will work there? I haven`t tried it, but I have used the hand glaze before.

Post Thanks / Like
    Those articles are all great. Alot of things that I`ve already been applying for years (techniques wise). I think I`m just lost on products. There are so many different products out there. Of course I`m familiar with the 3m hand glaze but there are so many wax/synthetic products out there it`s hard to decide where to start.

I definitely don`t mind putting for the effort for my truck to look great, however I have to draw the line someplace as I said above, and not over do it.

Post Thanks / Like
    Is the S100 product that everyone is reffering to the carnuba paste wax? Help me fill in the gaps here... This is what I`m thinking.

1. Dawn wash

2. Clay bar

3. Perfect-It III (for minor scratches)

4. ??

5. s100?

Am I on the right track here?

Post Thanks / Like
    Originally posted by N2MyWake

...I think I`m just lost on products. There are so many different products out there. Of course I`m familiar with the 3m hand glaze but there are so many wax/synthetic products out there it`s hard to decide where to start.

I definitely don`t mind putting for the effort for my truck to look great, however I have to draw the line someplace as I said above, and not over do it.

Yes, there are a LOT of good products out there. Subtly different, and most people have their favorites. Starting from scratch can seem sorta daunting.

The PI-III I`m talking about is the 05937 Machine Glaze (it`s more of a polish than a glaze, but names mean little). I`ve only started to play with it (after years of using other products), but so far I REALLY like it for swirl removal. Unlike the Hand Glaze, and many other products, it`s non-filling, so what you see is really what you have.

The Platinum ("PUPP" or "UPP") and Blackfire ("BFII") look great and last a long time, hence my recommendation for when you DON`T want a whole new hobby They are both pretty well foolproof compared to other products and you don`t need to do the wait-and-layer bit for decent results.

Post Thanks / Like
    The S100 probably IS the paste wax, but they also have a paint cleaner that is usually applied after a polish and before the wax. It (the wax) looks good, but doesn`t last like a synthetic. I have it on my garage-queen, but for daily drivers, I`d go with the PUPP or the BFII. If you use the S100 over a synthetic you can get a good look, but you can`t add more synthetic (won`t stick to the S100). Becomes a matter of how involved you want to get and how often you want to do it, as well as preferences for/against a specific look.

Post Thanks / Like
    Thanks for the tips. So with the PUPP and the BFII what are the pro`s con`s of the two. Is one better than the other (in your opinion), does one have less chalky residue (I can`t stand that).

So the PI-III should follow the clay bar, then follow the PI-III with a glaze? Or Polish or Go with the wax from there?

Post Thanks / Like
    I don`t have enough experience with the PUPP to compare it to the BF (yet!). Reliable sources have said it`s basically the same only even easier to use, compared to the BFII. You put either product on so thinly that there won`t be any chalky residue.

I don`t know of any downsides to these products unless there`s a particular look you`re after that can only be obtained with another product. The advantages are ease of application/removal, degree of protection, and longevity. Plus, they both give a "carnauba-like" look that isn`t too "artificial".

You have the product sequence right (clay-polish-protect). The decision to glaze/not before the protection is a personal thing. I doubt that I`d bother in your case (if you have the time and inclination, put on another coat of protection instead). Proper surface prep followed by either of those two products will look great even without a glaze.

Post Thanks / Like
    Thanks for all the advice. Now on to finding distrubutors for these products...

Thread Information