Post Thanks / Like
    I had to make a late night run to the grocery store last night(wife wanted some Ice cream), and I decided to drive the Viper. When I came out of the store, I saw a shopping cart awfully close to the driver side door. So, I made a quick inspection and found that the cart had put a scratch in the door. Does anyone know what I can use to get these scratches out?
    It is so HARD to keep black cars clean, but, when they`re clean they are the best looking cars around.

Post Thanks / Like
    Y2k,

If you can feel them with your fingernail, you`re going to have to use touch up paint. If you can`t, you might try Meguiar`s Scratch X (by hand), or if you have access to a rotary buffer, perhaps some Meguiar`s Fine Cut Cleaner. Of course, there are other products from other companies that will work, but these two are ones I have used recently with success to remove scratches!

hth,

DavidM

Post Thanks / Like
    Welcome Y2K,

How comfortable are you with detailing. With such an awesome car, it`s not exactly one that you`ll want to experiment on I would think.

The picture above makes it seem like it`s pretty nasty and one that probably can`t be corrected with touch-up or actually, a repaint as it`s pretty long and many little lines which will be very very tough to spot correct.

If you think it can be corrected without a repaint (compounds etc.), and your not comfortable - then I`d take to a pro (ask a lot of questions before hand) simply due to the value of the car.

If it can`t be corrected without a repaint, then prehaps trying some touch-up, wetsanding, compounding and practice a bit wouldn`t hurt. Worse case, you repaint which was already a given at that point. Who knows, maybe you can actually make it look a whole lot better.

Try some scratch X with a terry towel (for extra bite) and see if you can make it look any better. You may get some hazing from the Scratch X - which can be removed with an SMR.

Paco
    Too many products ... too few cars!

Thread Information