Post Thanks / Like
    How to get rid of it?

Currently I take the housing out and blow out the condensation with a hair dryer

How to prevent it from coming back?

I have considerred drilling a small vent/drain hole in the bottom of each housing

Post Thanks / Like
    Have you tried to reseal them after you get out the condensation? You can use aquarium silicone. Just a thought, I have no experience with this.

Post Thanks / Like
    Yeah, I would try to evacuate all the water out with a hair dryer or leaving it in the hot sun all day or something, and then resealing it with silicone caulking. It has condensation in it because water is leaking in somehow, evaporating, and then condensing again on the lens. Also check the seal where the lightbulb goes while you`re at it.

Post Thanks / Like
    What year and model car ??? This is a common problem in some models. I had a 93 Lexus ES 300 and I posted this topic on clublexus.com and I found that many other owners had this problem with this model. I had received instruction on that board detailing how to reseal the lamp. It was quite involved ... "heating lamp in oven prior to cutting the seal"... I opted to purchase a second hand lamp off that message board and this solved the problem rather nicely... The lamp was $600 new from the dealer as opposed to $75 from the second hand seller. Also...if this is a newer model car complain to the dealer and see if the manufacturer will make good on the lamp... Good Luck with this most annoying problem...
    No buff to tuff

Post Thanks / Like
    My wife`s 2003 mustang has this problem with one of the housings. Anyone deal with a Mustang before?....Andrew

Post Thanks / Like
    yes my 98 mustang has condensation in it to

Post Thanks / Like
    Originally posted by andriver

My wife`s 2003 mustang has this problem with one of the housings. Anyone deal with a Mustang before?....Andrew

Take it back and keep taking it back every time they start to fog up until you get a set that don`t do it. This is a known problem with the 99 and up Stang headlights. It is covered by your warranty. Just be sure to look concerned when you talk to the service advisor and say you are worried that the fogging will make it harder for other drivers to see you at night or during bad weather. I am on my third set of lights and even the new ones which Ford claims fix the problem do the same thing. Also make sure you tell them not to give you remanufactured headlights as I think I heard that when dealers send them back Ford re-furbishes them and sends them out again as replacement units. If you look closely at the fogging sometimes you can see finger prints on the inside, at least on mine I have seen that.

Post Thanks / Like
    In the case of the 2002-2003 Maxima, there is no condensation but an unusual haze on the inside of the headlight capsule.

Many of us are trying to figure out how to resolve it.

Post Thanks / Like
    This happened on my old Saab.

I took the lense case off, drilled a little pilot hole on the top and bottom and replaced. The holes were not exposed, rather the top one was under the protection of the hood and the bottom one didn`t wick in any water. You could never tell I did it.

This way air was able to circulate and dry out the lense. Never had a problem after that. Never had a problem with the bulb or headlight function.

This was just a quick fix so it could pass inspection. I got rid of the car a few months later.
    Seth

Post Thanks / Like
    What you have to do is take the headlights off... Take off all the bulbs... Then you stick it in the oven for about 10 to 15 mins (bake 220)... When taking them out use oven mitts (its hot but not that hot)... The headlight housing is held together with a silicone type material. Pull that apart(make sure all the clips are up)... Once the headlight housing is apart remove the old silicone and you can use anykind of silicone that holds water (aquarium silicone) Hold tight for about 20 mins or til it sets...

If you want to test it out... Steam up your bath room and put the headlight housing in there with the bulb holes covered.... If it doesnt fog your good to go...
    Mr Zipps

04 Acura TL

New Jersey

Thread Information