Post Thanks / Like
    The overall impression of 3M products on this forum is very good, like for PI-III and FI line.

But what is the opinion of the other 3M products such as the 3 QD and the 3M Perfect-It Show Car Paste Wax? How good is the 3M wax in terms of durability, (lack of) dust attraction, shine/wetness.

Any feedback on the 3M QD?

Where we are (Hong Kong) most of the excellent waxes are not avail, but 3M is everywhere.

Post Thanks / Like
    All 3M products are good. If you cant get Zaino Klasse and P21s/S100 then you go with Meguiars Mothers 3M and Eagle One.

Post Thanks / Like
    I am a frequent user of 3M Perfect-It Show Car Paste Wax. I use it on a non garaged white Honda.

I would say it is a good, solid wax. It attracts a ton of dust and lasts for about 90 days. It gives a nice shine and is very reflective. I haven`t used it on anything besides white. There are no cleaners so be sure to prep the surface properly.

I would definately recommend it if you can`t get any of the Meguiars Wax products in Hong Kong. You`d be hard pressed to go wrong with it, especially if you prep with their other products.

Its a pain to apply, so use a little QD on the applicator to help apply. Removal is a failry easy. I need a 100% terry towel for removal because there is a little more "bite" to it.

In fact, CMA seems to relly like it. It`s their favorite wax under $25. Read about it: http://www.properautocare.com/pershowcarpa.html
    Seth

Post Thanks / Like
    I haven`t tried the QD, but I use the paste wax on our silver A8 (over Pinnacle Creme Glaz). It looks great and is the specific look my wife likes best on that car. My experience mirrors Spilchy`s except that I don`t get TOO much dust attraction and I find it pretty easy to apply (especially with a PC) and remove. It IS a pretty hard wax, though. So hard that when you first open the can you`ll wonder if it`s all dried out.

Post Thanks / Like
    Which part of HK are you located in? I got relatives over there. When they come over for a visit, I can send them back with a little box of detailing stuff. Just PM me if interested....

But where 3M is found, Meguiar`s will be very close......The general rule of thumb is, 3M for polishes and Meguiar`s tends to make the better wax compared to 3M. I wasn`t too impressed with the 3M Perfect It Wax, left streaks and smears and was a bit oily.

Post Thanks / Like
    I would say that if you could find most of the 3M detailing products we use here, you are LUCKY! Usually people outside North America have trouble because they don`t have access to any of the important products like compounds, swirl removers, glaze, etc. and all they can find is the "cheap stuff". Oh yes, I believe 3M sells clay as well!

In the PC accessorizing thread in my signature below I give a link to 3M`s North America page where you can read about everything we use here. They make very good products in general so if that is the only product line you use you should be fully equipped. Just be sure to get safe, quality tools/supplies/applicators to use everthing with....

Post Thanks / Like
    The show car paste wax is pretty good, though has the tendency to stain mouldings and trim so be careful. The liquid version though isn`t so good and tends to streak.

Re: QD, I assume you`re talking about the gloss enhancer, right? Well, take it for what it is, which is basically a gloss enhancer. Don`t look for slickness after using it. Personally, I like it though as I use it not only for the exterior. I find it to be a versatile product when diluted.

Post Thanks / Like
    I`ve used the paste version of the Show Car wax. I was not impressed. Initial shine was good, but durability was very poor. It lasts about 2 weeks here in Cincy.

:down
    Taking my signature to it`s MAXIMUM POTENTIAL

Post Thanks / Like
    According to 3M the Show Car Paste is supposed to last 12 to 15 car washes the Show Car Liquid 9 to 12 washes the Cleaner Wax Light 5 to 8 washes the Cleaner Wax Medium 3 to 5 washes . They must be wrong.I never seem to get wax to last as long as they say.

Post Thanks / Like
    Thanks for all the advices

It seems that the response about the 3M wax is mixed.

I am now thinking of using the Sonax Extreme Wax on top of AutoGlym super resin polish and extra gloss. These are the only easy available products that can come near Klasse.

I have used the Sonax Xtreme Polish/Wax 2 and this product was much better than the Meg Cleaner/Wax. Much smoother and longer lasting. Probably their Xtreme Wax is also not bad.

JasonC8301, thanks for your offer. It is always great to know that there are people who actually want to help others. At one time I was thinking of ordering some stuff from the US via the Internet, but since the result is 90% process-driven rather than the product I think I should try the local stuff first.

Post Thanks / Like
    Thats cool, reading up on the forums you can get the results you want with a little bit of product, and a whole lot of technique.

I may plan a trip back to HK if I have the money saved up (next summer.)

Thread Information