Post Thanks / Like
    Hi everybody!

I will be, in about three weeks, getting a new 2004 Mazda RX-8.

First, what instructions should I give the dealership as per the detailing of the car? I know they will likely wax/wash it as it just got off port, but I`d rather do it on my own.

Also, what route to take? I was going to do the Zaino deal on this car.

I don`t know what to do to protect NEW paint as opposed to my 5 year old Millenia Also, what Zaino products should I get? Or is there something better?

I appreciate your time!

Patrick
    Tell the dealer to not even touch it !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

As for better than Zaino ? You just opened a can......

Post Thanks / Like
    Some forum members have stated not to touch the car in terms of washing and waxing and in the contract if it was done, you will not take the car period. No exceptions. Basically, you wash it Mr. Dealership and I`ll walk out the door with my money and got to another dealership.

Don`t even get me into Zaino. I`ve seem to be like a Zaino addict or something. I`ve had lots of success with Klasse to but like the Zaino line. Some dislike being sucked into a specific product line, but I like it for simplicity. www.zainobros.com

I currently have Z1, Z2, Z5, Z6, Z7, Z16, and ZFX. I have had Z12 and Z14 but gave those away to someone the Z12 is a great glass cleaner. I will get more of that soon. The Z14 I`ll pass on since it was kind of gentle and I have Meguiar`s #18 Clear Plastic Detailer. The Z14 is a good plastic polish but I don`t see a need to buy more.

The $84.70 deal sounds like a good deal on Zaino`s site.

For a good base kit it would depends on you

If you are the more than a coat of Zaino in a day

ZFX, Z2, Z5, Z6, and Z7. Optional but highly recomended, Z12 glass polish if you don`t have coated glass, Z14 for clear plastic, Z18 clay bar, and maybe Z16 tire gloss. Optional is Z9/Z10 for leather if you have it. Gosh thats like the whole Zaino line.

If you are not a one coat a day person

Same as above but put Z1 in place of ZFX.

Please search the forums....provide a wealth of information

Washing techniques to minimize any swirls or scratches being introduced into your finish. Lots of threads on this

Removing swirls if you have any (I doubt that if the dealer did not touch the car.)

The Autopia e-book is a good reference guide to detailing....

Welcome to Autopia!

Jason

Post Thanks / Like
    If zaino is your drink of choice then use it. The search for something better will just make you poor. You`ll spend thousands of dollars on products and only find in the end that other products don`t really look better; just different. Zaino is up there with the best and the difference is all user preference. If that is what you have decided to use then I would go for it. Assumedly you have done the research on the other sealants and Zaino has your vote.

I agree to tell the dealer not to touch it. They`ll just put crap on it that you are going to have to remove before you use Zaino anyway. They can use the new car prep to get the glue from the stickers they put over the hood, roof, and mirrors durring transport but that is as far as I would let them touch a brand new car. If you have the stuff to deal with the adhesive from those sheets then I`d even suggest doing that yourself and not letting them touch it. You`ve paid a lot of money for something that should arrive to you in brand new mint condition. Swirls or marks shouldn`t be present when you take delivery or you can tell them to pay to have you take it to a detailer of your choice to have them polished out. This is the only time when you can tell your dealer with absolute certianty that the car was perfect before they put their greasy mitts on it.

Post Thanks / Like
    I just took delivery of a new BMW about a month and a half ago and told the dealer not to touch the car. They really balked because they thought that I would tell BMWNA when they called for delivery survey that the dealer didn`t wash and wax the car. I assured them that I would say nothing but great things about the detailing they did and I did. When I got the car home I washed thoroughly with dawn and clayed the car. It had been on a train, boat and truck by then. After rewashing to get rid of any remnants from the clay I put down a layer of AIO and 3 layers of SG. I then topped with Souveran. I caught the bug and am currently doing part of the car with EX and it looks great. I love this stuff. The Poorboys QD+ rocks. Anyway, that is my experience. I have NO swirl marks in the car left by the dealer and love to walk into the garage and see my baby glisten.

Bob
    2007 BMW 335i Convertible Sparkling Graphite Metallic

2006 Porsche Black Cayenne Turbo

Post Thanks / Like
    DO NOT LET THE DEALER TOUCH IT! Look at my post under Lexus repair of paint!

They delivered my new SC430, and it had swirl marks all over it!

On top of that, having them try to repair stone chips was a mistake!

I had my car covered with Armorglove, but the dealer did such a terrible job on the touchup and blames Armorglove for the chip looking the way it does. Did I mention that dealer forgot the chips on the front bumper?

NEVER let them prep it for you! Just look over the car for any defects, if it`s fine, do the job yourself!

Wash it, clay it, Zaino it and maybe top with Souveran or S100.

Learn from others mistakes, such as mine and you will be a happer camper!

Regards,

Deanski

Post Thanks / Like
    What is the coated glass you mentioned?

I also require a product that will rather sheet the water off windows.... will that do it?

Thanks!

Post Thanks / Like
    Hercules,

Armorglove is a paint protection film. You can see it here:

Amroglove

It goes on the paint. It`s a film made by 3M that replaces those ugly black bras. Some people reffer them as clear bras.

As for water sheeting off windows, you can look into Aquapel. Don`t have info on Aquapel, but I`m sure other here have experience with it.

There are other paint film protection products, Xpel, Stonegard etc.

I just like Armorglove as they use a thicker version, less noticable, somewhat flat than glossy which matches paint better. If it`s glossy, it shows up more on the body of the car.

Get the paint protection film if you have rock hits in the past. The best investment I made! I have it on the hood, bumper, headlights, areas above headlights, side mirrors, lower rocker panels, wheel arches and door cups for those nasty finernail scratches that are such a pain to remove.

Let us know what you do.

Regards,

Deanski

Post Thanks / Like
    [QUOTE]Originally posted by Hercules

[B]Hi everybody!

I will be, in about three weeks, getting a new 2004 Mazda RX-8.

First, what instructions should I give the dealership as per the detailing of the car?

Tell the dealer to ship the car to me Just kidding, enjoy the car.

There is plenty of good advice posted already.

:xyxthumbs

Post Thanks / Like
    I don`t think I`m going with the clear bra, because after having my Millenia for 5 years, I`ve gotten nearly no chips in the paint except for the front bumper which was scraped heavily

Thanks for the advice though, I`m going to buy the Zaino kit and go from there.

Thread Information