Post Thanks / Like
    Hello,

Does anybody know where I could rent a PC orbital buffer? I called one rental place and they said that they had three starting at 17 inches and going up from there (I think 21 was the biggest). I think that`s way bigger than the PC 7424 that everybody here loves.

Where else should I look to rent one? I can`t quite bring myself to buy one yet. Maybe using one would change my mind.

Post Thanks / Like
    Don`t know of any places to rent one, sorry. I would say just save your money and get one. You`re definitely going to like it, and it would be well worth the wait. It saves a lot of time and does and safe, thorough job. You may have read on previous threads that Lowe`s has the7336 for $109 (Extra for pads and backing plate) or you can order them from Classic Motoring Accessories. A search on this site will tell you all you need to know. :up

Post Thanks / Like
    What`s this talk about 17 inches and 21 inches? :nixweiss

Even if you could find a place that rents out the PC, I doubt they would have the polisher head (pad) on it and probably rent it out as a sander, which people probably use it for more. And if you get the sander version you`re still going to need pads and a velcro backing plate (or the OE polishing pad), which they probably will not have for you.

How much is it to rent one per day anyway? After a certain length of time some tools are more economical to own than rent. Just remember once you`re done with the machine you have to return it and you`re left emptyhanded.

I say you should just buy one like Jake suggested. It`s a good long-term investment. What if you need to polish a car again in 10 or 15 years?

Post Thanks / Like
    Yeah that 17 and 21 inch thing is a little confusing. As far as inches, polishers are usually identified by their pad size. PC 7424/7336 are 6 inches, so you can imagine how awkward a 17 or 21 inch would be. They must be referring to some other measurement.

Post Thanks / Like
    17 and 21 inch orbital buffers are likely floor buffers.

Post Thanks / Like
    Last month I called quite a few tool rental places to try to rent a PC or a Rotary for the day. Found nothing (in CT).

Then went to Coastal Tools and Home Depot and Lowes to see what I should buy. Studied, handled and talked to a few salespeople about both types of machines. Read the extensive archives on this forum over and over. Bought the Porter Cable at Lowes. Bought the PC velcro backing plate from Coastal. Cheaper than CMA`s version. Bought a yellow/orange/white/gray pad from CMA. If I need a rotary I would buy the Makita 9227C (1st choice)or the DW849.

What I`m saying is that you will probably will not find a rental and will need to purchase or maybe borrow one from a friend.

Thread Information