Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Post Thanks / Like
    EEK!! I have a car show in four days, and I wanted to prep my car soooo..

I washed it carefully and dried it, clayed the whole car to get off the spring tree sap residue, and then I applied Meguiar`s Deep Crystal System, Step 2 Polish using a Wen random-orbit buffer and an applicator bonnet.

I then tried to remove the polish with two separate, brand new terry-cloth bonnets. The polish just smeared all over and was VERY difficult to remove. It left a haze on the finish, that I think reduced the gloss of the paint by at least 50%. Also, you can see the white polish marks left by the buffer.

I went over the car by hand using a terry cloth towel, and I had to SCRUB the paint VERY HARD to get a small amount of the polish off. It was like rock.... then I ran out of daylight and I had to give up.

This was two days ago, tonight in desperation I washed the car with dish soap, because I read on here that it strips wax and I was hoping it would strip off the polish... alas.. didn`t even touch it.

I don`t want to wax over this hazy, whitish polish so my car is basically unprotected right now. Please, tell me how to get this stuff off my car!!! It was so shiny before! The show is Sunday.

Thanks!!!

Serious no BS kinda guy forrest@mothers's Avatar
    Post Thanks / Like
    Whats the temperature and humidity like?

If it`s below 10ºC, the product isn`t flashing.

Try using a fan or hair dryer (low heat setting) to move some air so the product will set up. Then, try buffing it off.
    forrest

Post Thanks / Like
    Yikes. First of all DO NOT "scrub the paint very hard" to try to remove the residue. Keep the car out of the sun until you remove the haze.

I do not know what happened because I have never used this product. To remove the residue try a 50-50 mixture of alcohol and distilled water sprayed on the surface. Use a microfiber cloth and gently wipe the area. This is usually how I remove any product that contains fillers.

Above all, don`t panic and make the problem worse by scratching the paint trying to remove the haze.
    Be Nice

Post Thanks / Like
    From what I gather, you polished the entire vehicle, then attempted to remove the product. That was your first mistake!

You should do no more than a panel at a time, allow it to haze lightly, then buff it off. How much of MDC did you use? A little goes a long way! Remember, when it comes to applying polished, waxes ands sealants...less is more!

Post Thanks / Like
    To answer all your questions... The temperature was cool, I would say about 14ºC. It was evening and the car was in the shade. Yes, I scrubbed a small portion of the car, it seemed like the only way it would come off! That`s why I posted on here, because I do NOT want to do that to my whole poor car.

eek.. yes I did do the whole car, and then try to take off the product. I have learned from my mistake! I will never do that ever again!!!!

It should be warmer today, so I will try the alcohol trick.. thanks for the suggestions.. I am so worried I will not get it off in time for the show

Post Thanks / Like
    Ok, this is why I stopped using Meguiar`s 3 step products. No matter what it left an oil smear all over the vehicle when I was done. Before the alcohol trick just wash the car a couple of times and then go over it with Meguiar`s Final Inspection spray detailer...NOT THE QUICK DETAILER crap. The oil will be gone.

Administrator
    Post Thanks / Like
    Wow! on behalf of Meguiar`s... I apologize for your horrible experience!

I don`t hear of this type of thing happening very often, I can assure you that a majority of people who use the Deep Crystal System get excellent results.

The first thing I thought that could be the problem is the temperature, 14 degrees Celsius equals approximately 58 degrees Fahrenheit, that’s about 10 degrees to cold for good or normal results.

I see your in Canada, and it’s Thursday, 8:34am Pacific Time where I’m at.

Lets see… what can I do to help?

I can get you your money back, but that doesn’t solve your problem right now…

I will print your post out and show it to one of our chemists and see what he suggests, I will then see what we can do to ship you some product ASAP

I`ll get back to you quickly!

Mike

Post Thanks / Like
    what lube did you use to clay? I had the same problems with claymagic`s lube followed by some #9 on two seperate cars (one of them mine, doh!). The #9 was stuck like glue. No problems when using FI or mother`s showtime, though. :nixweiss
    `04 Steel Gray Metallic Mazda 6s V6 5door, `97 Honda Accord SE

Post Thanks / Like
    I have this same haze and have been wondering about it as well. I used the same three step system and then used their spray wax after here and there. The haze is terrible! I am going to do an ultimate detail from dawn to p21s coats - many, should I spray it down with the alcohol water mix before or after I dawn it? I also have some water spots on the roof that I want to do the vinegar thing with to remove, will that also remove the filler oily haze if I do that? Please let me know too I am going to do it this week! Thanks. Sean

Administrator
    Post Thanks / Like
    Hi MeanGreen,

I let our chemist read your posts, and then showed him a picture of your car.

He said the temperature you applied it shouldn’t be a factor… at all!

He thinks this is an isolated incident. It could be like others have posted, that you may have applied too much product, (thin coats are best).

On some cars, it works better to apply and remove this product one panel at a time.

That said, here is what he suggested,

First of all, try to re- apply and remove the Deep Crystal Polish by hand in a small area to see if you can use the Deep Crystal Polish to remove itself, i.e. re-liquify it. Apply with a foam applicator and remove a microfiber polishing cloth.

Second if this doesn’t work, try this, if you have a Meguiar’s wax like, Gold Class or Medallion, try applying this in a small area to see if it loosens the polish and makes it easier to remove. If so, apply one panel at a time to the entire car. This should solve the problem, while leaving protection behind.

Third, if this doesn’t work, our Chemist suggests that you get your hands on some Meguiar’s Clear Coat Body Scrub, part number A-1016 and apply this using a soft, clean, 100% cotton terry cloth towel. Work one section at a time, using gentle motions.

This should work for sure.

If you can’t find the Clear Coat Body Scrub, the next thing to try would be the Medallion Premium Paint Cleaner. Apply the same way.

And lastly, please call either myself, or Tom McDonald and we will go out of our way to help solve this problem and get the results your looking for.

Mike Phillips 1-800-854-8073 ext. 189

Tom McDonald 1-800-854-8073 ext. 117

Post Thanks / Like
    Mike, thanks for your excellent help. I have some foam applicators for hand use and also those white Meguiar`s MF cloths. I have some Gold Class wax too.

It is 1:24 PM EST right now, as soon as I get home from work about 4:30, I am going to re-apply the step 2 polish (only a little) and then remove it right away! I will let you know immediately how it is going! p.s. Meguiar`s is not readily available in my town, for example I can`t buy Extra here, nor the Body Scrub. Hopefully the step 2 polish will take care of itself!

Thank you again to everyone for your help, I knew I could count on my fellow Autopians.

Post Thanks / Like
    MeanGreen, it sounds almost as if you applied the DCS Step 2 Polish without first doing the DCS Step 1 Pre-wax Cleaner?

When was the last time the car was detailed or polished? I`m just asking because Step 2 is NOT really a polish the way most people think what a "polish" is. It`s a GLAZE similar to #7, IHG, etc etc, and probably won`t do very much at all for any oxidation you might have on the paint, and I vaguely recall that this might cause problems. Also I`m not really sure how the glaze would react if you have heavy amounts of QD still on the car from your claying process. Maybe it could smear? Just some ideas. :nixweiss

Of course, I don`t recall ever reading about anyone proceeding right to glazing right after claying. You really should have a real polishing step after claying and use the 3-step system as intended.

Clay

Polish (swirl remover, pre-wax cleaner, etc)

Glaze

Wax

Administrator
    Post Thanks / Like
    Good point Brian,

I clicked on the link to a picture of his car and the the picture revealed a shiny car with good gloss, so I figured it probably didn`t need a "dedicated" cleaning process.

But, as you point out, if indeed, it needed to be "clayed", then chances are it probably needed to have a "dedicated" paint cleaning step. This is especially true if the car is a daily driver and expoxed to inclimate weather.

Mike

Post Thanks / Like
    4DSC - Here`s what I did

1) Wash the car thoroughly with car wash

2) Clay the car with a new Mother`s clay bar

3) re-wash the car thoroughly with car wash

4) dry the car with 2 MF cloths from Meguiar`s

5) Using a random orbit buffer, applied Meguiar`s #9 Swirl remover with a foam bonnet, and removed it with Terry Cloth bonnets

6) THEN I applied Meguiar`s step 2 polish, sadly, to the whole car

7) tried to remove the polish and found to my dismay that it wouldn`t come off (!)

[relief] Mike, thanks so much for your help, re-applying the polish by hand and removing it immediately using a terry towel, works!!! The haze and residue is coming off, and the car looks nice and shiny!! Thank you!!! [/relief]

Here`s what I plan to do next

8) finish removing the polish

9) Apply a good coat of high-gloss wax

10) all the extra goodies.... wheel wells, trim, windows, tires and wheel covers.

Thanks again

Post Thanks / Like
    :bounce Glad to hear it. And thanks for popping onto the `net to tell us. We`ve been waiting with `bated breath!

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread Information