Post Thanks / Like
    This was posted on the 300zx forum that I frequent. Hopefully forum members on this site will not think that this is the proper everyday manner of swirl removal or paint care.

Click Here

I am not bashing the products that he used or the use of the rotary but I think his methods were questionable.

Feedback????
    Only Z Best Detailing-Automotive Concours Detailing Services
    http://ozbdetailing.com
    https://www.facebook.com/ozbautodetailing

Post Thanks / Like
    I like how he doesn`t use a block for sanding...... that in itself will introduce valleys and ridges
    2018 Ram Big Horn CTD
    2009 Lexus IS250
    1999 ChampioN 181 Bassboat
    1968 Plymouth Roadrunner 383 4spd

Post Thanks / Like
    Eh.... it`s scary. He makes it sound too easy without warnings or disclaimers, which is bad. :nono

I also disagree that what he is doing is exactly what high end paintshops do. They wetsand in between coats and also make sure there`s still enough clear left on top once they`re done.

Post Thanks / Like
    You can not simply start wet sanding any car. You need a Paint Thickness Gauge to see how thick the paint/clear is. However, this is not accurate either because unless we have the base number for thickness on that car, we have no idea how much paint we started with. Moreover, at the Body Shop as Brian points out, they mostly sand between coats and on the final coat as they know that they have plenty of clear(they just sprayed it on!).

This guy may have meant well, but man, could someone get into trouble if they do this to just any car!!!

Post Thanks / Like
    Yeah - right idea, but extremely amateur approach. In addition to what has already been said - how do you like his masking technique?

and I always love the silly spellings in some of the replies- how DO you get rid of "swirrels" anyway?

Post Thanks / Like
    Wet sanding like that -without a block and without the factory edges folded over themselves is problematic, especially for neophytes.

If you stay in one spot too long the indents of your fingers will actually translate to the finish in a "wavery" kind of look, more obvious on certain panels and angles than on others. A small foam block gives an even pressure and removes paint more uniformly and cleanly.

Using the paper with the factory edge present on the side can and WILL result in edge cuts that dig into the paint, leaving a scratch impossible to remove by further wet sanding (too deep). You should always fold the paper over it`s own edges so you have an overlapped edge on the side of the block etc. So it can`t dig in.

It`s not all bad advice, but...the things that can really trip you up and ruin the job are not covered IMO.

Thread Information