Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: washing towels

Post Thanks / Like
    I was curious what people recommend for washing towels. I have alot of terry towels and normally I just wash them in the washing machine with laundry detergent. Is this the best way?

Also I just ordered some MF towels and I was curious if the washing method is the same for MF towels and terry towels.

Thanks

Post Thanks / Like
    Don`t use fabric softener with the MF towels. Use liquid detergent (the powder can leave residue; may not dissolve completely). Other than that, if you get a lot of lint, use the dryer. There is some difference of opinion on drying MF towels. Some people like to air dry them, others fluff them in the dryer and let them finish drying on a line; other folks just use the dryer.
    Always do right. This will gratify some people and astonish the rest.

--Mark Twain

Post Thanks / Like
    Also, never ever mix your MF towels with normal towels or you`ll cover them with lint. Always wash them separate from everything else.

Post Thanks / Like
    I was told not to use fabric softener on my cotton or mf towels because it would cause marring is this correct or just for mf?

Post Thanks / Like
    Purex!
    As Soon As I saw That Guys Cars Dirty I Knew He Was Going To Be A Failure! Donald Trump - The Apprentice

Post Thanks / Like
    Originally posted by 2500Hemi

I was told not to use fabric softener on my cotton or mf towels because it would cause marring is this correct or just for mf?

For any towels you will use on your car, whether they be natural or artificial fibers, don`t use fabric softeners, bleach, or any additives other than liquid detergent. In the dryer do not use those throw in softeners.

Water temp and dryer air temp should be found on the package for the towels, depending on the composition different towels have different instructions. When in doubt, contact the seller or manufacturer.

Post Thanks / Like
    Originally posted by 2500Hemi

As I understand it, it`s because they MFs "consider" fabric softener dirt, so they get clogged with it. I don`t really think it applies to terry towels. Try a fabric softened terry towel on a CD and then on an inconspicuous spot. I don`t usually use any form of fabric softener on anything.
    Always do right. This will gratify some people and astonish the rest.

--Mark Twain

Post Thanks / Like
    Ok so I have a question. Typically my terry towels are pretty nasty with brake dust and tire dressing. I wash them in the washing machine and I get oil residue left in the washer that finds itself on nice clothes! Any tips or is it time for a new washer set for towels? Also- do you all separate your MF window/glass towels from the regulars because I have found they smear glass with slight wax/polish residue.

Post Thanks / Like
    Ok, I didn`t read everyone`s response cause I`m lazy.. but here`s what i do to wash towels

Terry`s: Throw them ALL in the washing machine with some detergent (i use either Era or Wisk or Tide.. whatever my mom has available) and a little bit of clorox to whiten them..

MF: Two different loads 1) those that touch SOLELY the paint and those that do other jobs such as windows or dusting the interior of the car...

for those i use Tide Free (recommended by many when i first joined auopia) and nothing else.. no fabric softer, no Clorox 2.. just Tide Free

Post Thanks / Like
    Originally posted by Taxlady

As I understand it, it`s because they MFs "consider" fabric softener dirt, so they get clogged with it. I don`t really think it applies to terry towels. Try a fabric softened terry towel on a CD and then on an inconspicuous spot. I don`t usually use any form of fabric softener on anything.

That`s wrong. Liquid fabric softners and throw in softners do not actually soften or do anything other than apply a coating to the fabric which fools you into thinking it feels softer. All you feel is a slick coating. It makes no difference if the fabric is cotton or polyester, terry or waffle or knit, standard sized yarn or microfiber sized yarn.

Don`t analyze, just stay away from that stuff.

Post Thanks / Like
    Thanks for clearing that up DF. Sweet looking car btw.:up

Post Thanks / Like
    I use liquid Tide (the regular stuff, noa dded scent) 300 oz. for $18.97 thats a good deal at Wal-mart. This is for all ym cloths and cotton towels.

for my nice Mf`s that don`t get all that dirty, Woolite.

Post Thanks / Like
    I have the same question if you put towels in the wash with wax or tire dressing on them, wouldnt that cause problems when you put clothes in after? I was thinking of wiping down the washer with bleach and then running a cycle without anything in it... any ideas?

Post Thanks / Like
    I`m not sure about that.... I like to pre-soak or partially hand wash (and then rinse) really loaded up MFs first before it goes into the washer.

Post Thanks / Like
    I wash my MF`s with tide or cheer free. Be very careful with temperature of the dryer if using a dryer. I now hang my towels up to dry.

Eric
    Have you AIO`d today?

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread Information