Post Thanks / Like
    I just got the PC 7336SP as a gift from a very good friend:bounce It came with a rubber plate, a white soft pad with a threaded bolt in the middle, and some paper sanding discs:nono

I know I need the "kit" and I have read the Klasse/PC post and was about to order...

(...order the Porter Cable Accessory kit ($60) from CMA, which includes One 6 inch Velcro Back-up Plate, One 6 inch Lambswool Compounding Pad for leveling the surface (the Lambswool pad is also used as a cushion under the terry bonnets), One 6 inch Yellow Cutting Pad for older, oxidized finishes, Two 6 inch white polishing/waxing pads, One 6 inch gray finishing pad for producing an ultra high gloss, Two 6 inch terry bonnets for buffing. I`d also suggest getting Viper Microfiber Bonnets. If you love microfiber like I do get 2 !!)

I thought you also needed a red pad?

Who knows what pads are for what?

Shouldn`t I order more than one of each???

Is there a better "kit" out there? If not, is there anything in this kit that I don`t need?

Would I be better off just ordering the seperate parts?

Thank you in advanced!!!

BTW I just got my order of Klasse AIO/SG from TACS and my Pakshak MF Towels so I think I am on my way
    Brian - 2003 Frontier SC CC LB

My picture page...click here!!!

Post Thanks / Like
    Brian,

I can`t comment on the kit, because I bought my backing plate and pads (meguiars, all of it) from a local paint shop place.

Those that refer to a red pad are referring to the meguiar`s cutting pad, which as I understand it, is the same in function to the yellow CMA pad.

The way I use the pads are: cutting for DACP, polishing for #9, and finishing for sealant application. (Can you tell my prep is all meguiars? ) I rarely use the finishing pad, and I have not, to date, used a wool pad. Since you bought Klasse, I`ve applied AIO with the polishing pad. Always have applied SG by hand.

If you go individual parts, from a distributor, you`re looking at about $40-50 for the backing plate and 1 of each pad, depending on local markup and taxes. I think I paid $45 for mine to start. The CMA kit is a good deal, since you get extra pads plus the microfiber bonnets for about $15-20 more - only prob is shipping. A lot of folks around here really like the CMA pads.

HTH! You`re really going to like using the PC. I`m getting used to it now, and won`t think of doing any thing except wax application by hand.
    Dawn
    `01 Buick Regal GS - Charcoal grey - GONE
    `01 Ford Ranger XLT - Dark blue
    `05 Jeep Grand Cherokee Limited - Stone White

Post Thanks / Like
    Cleanmaxx Brian, here is a Porter Cable for Beginners post from another detailing board by Geekysteve. He covers the basics very well and gives an intro to the various pads and there uses.

This Porter Cable post by 4DSC is an excellent introduction to the PC accessories.

If these two links leave any questions unanswered, speak out and there will be plenty of help available.

Good luck and have fun!
    <B>OCD</B> sufferer and charter member of the
    <B>A</B>nal <B>R</B>etentive <B>Z</B>3 <B>O</B>wners <B>A</B>ssociation

Post Thanks / Like
    If you want to split shipping costs from CMA PM me. I need to order some new PC pads....

Post Thanks / Like
    if you guys gonna save some shipping, I`m planning to order 1-2 pads. Currently I`m in North NJ. you know if they have Meg`s Swirl Free Polish (#82)?

Post Thanks / Like
    I can put together one big order but you guys would have to come to me to get everything. If you are interested, e-mail me (Don`t PM me)

thebman31@juno.com

I am very close to Southern State PKY, and Oyster Bay Expressway which connects to the Long Island Expressway...
    Brian - 2003 Frontier SC CC LB

My picture page...click here!!!

Post Thanks / Like
    If your in North Jersey check out Carcareonline.com, located in Lodi they stock Meguiars pads at a very good price, you could pick them up and save the shipping.

Post Thanks / Like
    I have had bad experiences with Meguiar`s pads. The CMA backing plate velco is strong and really grips the velco pad. It ripped the velcro off the back of both my Meguiar`s pads. My Lake County pads are holding up.

I`ll just go ahead and place an order with CMA in a few weeks (gotta get some $$.) Or if TOL has the pads then I`ll just get it from them.

Post Thanks / Like
    I just purchased a 7336 at Lowes. Considering that both my cars are in good shape I decided against buying the kit. I don`t need the real agressive pads and I can`t imagine ever applying wax with a PC. So I`m considering ordering the following from CMA: A 6" backing pad, one Orange pad, one advanvanced contour white and a white finger pad. In ball park terms this will run a little over 50 bucks but I well end up with what CMA describes as the best of the best with better bonding of the pads to the velcro. Any thoughts ?

Post Thanks / Like
    Originally posted by CHScholl

I just purchased a 7336 at Lowes. Considering that both my cars are in good shape I decided against buying the kit. I don`t need the real agressive pads and I can`t imagine ever applying wax with a PC. So I`m considering ordering the following from CMA: A 6" backing pad, one Orange pad, one advanvanced contour white and a white finger pad. In ball park terms this will run a little over 50 bucks but I well end up with what CMA describes as the best of the best with better bonding of the pads to the velcro. Any thoughts ?

If you`re going over $50 at CMA for a backing pad and an orange pad, why not get the "DM Kit"? I`m going to order it right after I make my decision on Lowes or Coastal Tool for buying my 7424. You get a lot more pads that you can use in the future. JMHO

John

Post Thanks / Like
    My personal take on buying pads is a lot like buying MFs. It`s good to have spares. I think 2 of each minimum in case one gets dirty/contaminated or loaded up with product. Or in case you want to switch products but use the same type of pad. I was in a huge hurry not long ago and actually did find myself waxing (liquid) by PC, so I was glad I had that extra finishing pad.

Just my $0.02....

Post Thanks / Like
    Top of The Line has the 7.5 inch pads, 6 for $45.00. You still have to buy a backing plate though. I bought 2 yellow, 2 white, and 2 black (grey?).

Thread Information