Thread: Claying...

Post Thanks / Like
    You guys are going to kill me for asking this question, and I think I know the answer already, but I like as much feedback as possible before I actually go through with this....

I was washing my car this weekend (new 2002), slick as glass AS OF last November, but I noticed as I was dying the car that now the paint is actually gritty! I was rather surprised, seeing as how I used to wash and wax my old Honda Prelude, leaving the surface smooth, but then I remembered....at the begining of each year I would compound the car, thus smothing everything out.

How have you experiences been with Clay bars? Can I really damage the surface of the car with this? The paint still shines wonderfully, but being the anal detailer that I am now (thanks to you guys! ) I would like to have it nice and smooth once again. Any recommendations, opions, experiences welcome! I am open to any and all suggestions!

Thanks!

Post Thanks / Like
    A search will bring up lots of threads about claying.

A nice process, I use clay to get the surface smooth and grit free. Then polish myabe compound to remove all the imperfections in the paint.

Many people like Clay Magic or Mother`s clay which can be bought locally at Pep boys.

Post Thanks / Like
    I have had good experiences with using clay bars. Try getting Mothers clay and some showtime as a lubricant. Follow with some polish and wax. I have yet to damage my surface using clay. Just use enough lubricant. (no pun intended)

Post Thanks / Like
    Originally posted by bimmer330

I have had good experiences with using clay bars. Try getting Mothers clay and some showtime as a lubricant. Follow with some polish and wax. I have yet to damage my surface using clay. Just use enough lubricant. (no pun intended)
    Oo, this brings up another questions.. Is there a different between polish and wax? Any suggestions on what to use as a polish?

Post Thanks / Like
    yes there is a difference, a polish is meant to rmove imperfections in the paint. Wax is used to protect the newly polished surface. A cleaner-wax is a little polish with a little bit of wax. It doesn`t polish as well as a true polish, but it doesn`t offer as much protection as a true wax. Its a compromise....

I recommend David B`s E-book....

Jason

Post Thanks / Like
    You polish to fix the scratches and swirls. Like you would polish your rings something. Waxing is pretty much for looks these days. Its an oily carnauba product that may or may not help hide swirls and is mainly used to improve the appearance of the vehicle. Its not really what I would use if you were looking for serious protection for your paint. That would be what a sealant is for. One of many possible order of procedure for car care goes something like this:

Wash

Clay

Polish

Sealant

Wax

As far as clay goes, yes you can damage the surface. If your clay is too dirty or if you have picked up a rock in it somehow then you can cause a lot of damage to your car. This is why using clay is typicaly followed by polishing. If the clay does cause some minor damage then the polishing will fix it. It is recomended that you polish with a machine if you are looking for real results. Not one of those el cheapo $40 buffers from Kmart either. A real machine. The forum favorite is the Porter Cable polisher. You can do a little reading up in the articles or click on the "learn" button at the top and that will give you more info too. :welcome to Autopia! :wavey

Post Thanks / Like
    As said, make sure you use enough lubricant. If the clay runs into a "dry" spot and comes to a halt because of it, it will probably leave a marring mark where it stopped (another reason why polishing of some kind is a good idea after).

I hate how companies have sometimes confused the terms wax and polish.... especially "polish"

Post Thanks / Like
    I would use Meguiars #7 for the polish.

Post Thanks / Like

I would use Meguiars #7 for the polish.
    Too bad #7 doesn`t do any polishing.....

#9 is supposed to be a good polish, and follow that up with #7 glaze, then wax.

Post Thanks / Like
    Originally posted by 4DSC

Too bad #7 doesn`t do any polishing.....

:LOLOL

Post Thanks / Like
    Thank you everyone!!

Post Thanks / Like
    A thousand pardons 4DSC.

Post Thanks / Like

A thousand pardons 4DSC.
    Sorry if it sounded like I came down hard.... I didn`t mean to. No apologies necessary - we`re all learning at some phase or another.

Thread Information