Post Thanks / Like
    Just curious to see what you guys do when you have to bring the car in to the bodyshop.

Stopped by a couple of bodyshops as I need to get a part replaced on my car. All I saw was dust everywhere on almost every car. I could just imagine fingertips just brushing on the surface....

Post Thanks / Like
    I take the part off if i can.

Post Thanks / Like
    chefwong - I`ve found that the best way to protect your car at a bodyshop, or any other shop, is clear communication with the people there. I let them know how I feel about the car, how I treat the car, and how I expect THEM to treat it.

As long as you do it right they be OK about it. If you don`t feel you can trust them, find another shop.

Post Thanks / Like
    First, ask around and make sure it is a good shop.

Next, look at the other cars in the shop. If you are getting a Lambo repaired the the land of Yugos, keep looking.

Then, take it in sparkly clean, and just be honest. When I took my car in, I said, almost exactly, the following. "I guarantee I`m the most anal retentive customer you have ever had. You might think other guys have been into their cars. I worship mine. It is beyond pristine. I will return time and time again if it is not right. You come highly recommended, but I have to ask you, can you handle me?" If they pause even for a second, keep looking.

And if you are a polymer or some other sort of detailing freak, ask them not to wash on return, and if they have to paint anything, ask where, so you know where to strip down and start over after the paint has cured.

Good luck.

Post Thanks / Like
    Your fellow Autotopians are correct. My landlord owns a bodyshop, and the best way to protect your car is to let them know how crazy you are about it. They`ll understand, a lot of them are nuts about their cars too. :xyxthumbs

I should also mention that telling them that means they will probably have their best man work on it, and you`ll have to worry less about bad taping jobs and overspray.

Thread Information